Pop increase with current lockdowns?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MightyUnclean, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

Hey guys,

Is SotA seeing a significant boost in new and returning players with the current circumstances? I've been playing SWTOR and the old MUD, Gemstone IV. They've both seen some pretty significant increases.

If SotA is getting a boost, too, that makes me more hopeful for the game's future and I probably would be interested in giving it another try.

Thanks for any info!

2. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

because they are bored with other games, it will go back to normal.

3. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I saw alot of old face i didnt see since a while, also alot of new one, my guild been recruiting alot lately. Id say yes there a significant increase in population

Prada and King Robert like this.
  4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I for one noticed an increase in players, both returning and new. Many guild mates started playing again, many names I recognize from before are back, and we have seen MANY new players actually join our guild or simply start speaking to us, so I think that yes, the population must be rising!

Prada likes this.
  5. Numa

Numa Avatar

With 20% of the world's population under lockdown, I'm not too surprised at the game's population spike.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Working on another guide, I have been constantly running around the World Map observing things. There’s a lot more people playing now, as I see a lot more people running around the world map than I usually see.

I can only hope they are at least enjoying the game, and may stay around.

Prada, Boris Mondragon and Numa like this.
  7. Numa

Numa Avatar

[​IMG]

Prada and Mishra like this.
  8. Nexus-6

Nexus-6 Avatar

Steam says - pop slightly up...

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Ostvel

Ostvel Avatar

Wow an old Gemstone player, I used to play Gemstone III back in the day before I found UO.
    I make a habit of sitting on the Novia world map sometimes when I'm not busy, and adding new names to my friendlist.

Been a bunch this week but I usually have a bunch every week

10. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

11. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Lads. Fun fact; in France, the name Jesus Christ is pronounced phonetically exactly the same as "Jesus shouts"!

Anyway, self-quarantine madness aside. If you want to see more population in SotA, it is exceedingly simple. You do less of this:
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-utility-of-DAU-MAU-as-an-engagement-metric

And more of this:
    https://www.engadget.com/2013-06-28-building-a-better-role-playing-game-story.html

Bonus points for the Ultima VI shout out.

---
    I just. *sigh*. I just hate seeing this stuff when I know the devs are working so damn hard in this bastard-hard industry but end up focusing on Not The Main Thing:

"The problem with [DAU/MAU] is that people will make dumb decisions based on this. For instance, let’s say that a mobile game has a lowish DAU/MAU, as an example, 0.01. Producers and designers will then want to act on that because “players are not engaging with the game”. They build a reward system for people to return. And voilá! DAU/MAU goes up to 0.15 in the following weeks. This happens on mobile games all the time!

A careful analysis of the behaviour of those players, often shows the vast majority of them enter the game, collect the reward and leave the game. Is that engagement? Nah… it’s just players doing what they do best: maximising resources! Then they’ll return when they usually do: on Friday and Saturday for their weekend gaming.

DAU/MAU was created when we didn’t know better and didn’t have the tools to know better. As a quick overall retention metric it is alright. As an engagement KPI it is absolutely awful!"

12. Numa

Numa Avatar

A good gauge of player engagement is how many actually used their free row lot deed to claim living space and put up a home.

Once they've done that and deco'ed the place the game has pretty much got them hooked.

Astirian, Sean Silverfoot and Anpu like this.
  13. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

uh... no...

I do see some older players return for the insane EXP boosts of late, we will how this holds up.

New players come and go often, mostly they go and don't come back. I see this often in Britt Mart with row lots claimed and left to fall down a week or two later with no return.

This is what we see happening in Britt Mart and hear of this happening on other towns too.

14. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

No

evillego6 and tomcat_de like this.
  15. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I dont know about French from france, your accent might be different, but as a French Canadian, Jesus Christ and Jesus crie are said pretty much the same (granted we do not pronounce the st at the end). So actually Yes to a degree..

@Astirian change it to French canadians and you are sure to shoot your shot right :p

Astirian likes this.
  16. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

In French, Christ and crie are not to be pronounced the same. -st are not supposed to be "lettres muettes", even when some don't pronounce them.

First, lots of us just use an hearable variation with "crie" which makes it sound like "crier" without the -er (some sort of "y" effect at the end of the word) even if it's not correct.

Secondly, because you'll automatically hear the -st after Christ when the next word begin with a vowel.

And finaly, lots of people here (the older ones I guess, like my grandmothers did) simply say Christ with pronounced -st and no silent letters at all. By the way, everyone here still say "the Christ" with pronounced -st and I'm pretty sure that it's what you do yourself.

So, as far as I know, saying that "in France they pronounce exactly the same as Jesus shouts" is just some fake information that refers to an exception that loosy people sometimes use.

I don't see any reason for french canadian to be different on this, but I can't be sure at this point so I'll take your word on this.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Cordelayne and evillego6 like this.
  17. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The main reason French Canadians are different on this is simply that we REALLY silence many letters for no reason, or pronounce stuff weird (especially the closer you get from montreal). You would say the word "Poutine" as "Poo-ti-ne" but someone who lives near Montreal usually pronounces it "Poo-tsi-ne", Go figure, we added an "s" in there. So yeah, His statement, calling France out for something French Canadians do is wrong, he targeted the wrong people :p (And just to test it I just asked my wife and her parents to say "Jesus Christ" and they pronounced it "Jésus Crie")

Astirian likes this.
  18. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I looked into this and, actually, it seems like protestant people pronounce krist when catholic people pronounce kri.

Sorry about the "loosy" word I used when talking about the people saying kri lol. I thought it was just some matter of comfort.

That could explain why we have a disagreement here. Both communities live in France and probably in Québec as well.

You are right about that : french language has lots of weird things like that, I agree. I still love the canadian accent, personaly ;D

Engel and Violet Ronso like this.
  19. Engel

Engel Avatar

Le groupe final st se prononce dans quelques mots, la plupart étrangers […]. Il se prononce dans Christ, qui, employé seul, est un mot savant, mais il est resté muet dans Jésu(s)-Chri(st), qui est populaire, et qui a gardé pour ce motif sa prononciation traditionnelle, sauf parfois chez les protestants [

20. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

There has been an continues up tick over the last few months but since the Bard announcement there as been even more so. Double XP , Raid groups and the Ep2 stuff coming we have seen a lot of influx. I have also seen a lot of UO players switching over recently. not sure if they are advertising or perhaps its all the new streamers getting the word out but Things are busy.

Prada likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.