The more I read about this game. The more i go OH OH..8(

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by BIGGUNSAR, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Thats your opinion. They didnt improve anything they just did it differently. No game has done crafting or housing the way they did so your facts are off

apoc01, Time Lord and Jeremiah like this.
  2. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

LOL. No MMO? Have you played any MMOstyle or even just single player RPGs since circa 1998? I am not even going to spend the time to give you links if you honestly believe there have been no incarnations or innovations over what the current offering is.

Not to mention, I said nothing about either of those items. I implied, actually no I explicitly stated:

It sure would be nice if certain people would stop praising this as the second coming and asking for UO 2.0 when it has been stated it wont be and they want us to help them make the game.

sgt_pEppEr, Bramagola, Ned888 and 3 others like this.
  3. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Ummm, er.....really? When is the last time you played an MMO, other than UO?

Ned888 and Joviex like this.
  4. Ara

Ara Avatar

I played just about all MMO games after UO and they sure didnt improve them MMO genre. They were all alot worse then UO. Alot.

WoW games are the standard today and that is very, very far from an improvement compared to old Ultima Online.

So far i seen just about none of my suggestions coming into this game so i wonder what they need help with? If they listened to all their players then full loot and open PvP would be an option, i havent seen that as an option in SotA. Where is the risk vs reward i been asking for for months? Where are the consequences? Where is the hardcore PvP options?

As far as i am concerned they listen to certain players with certain ideas and it sure aint the ideas i come up with.

apoc01, wagram and Ferrus like this.
  5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

For those of you who insist SotA needs to be a full clone of UO, you do realize you can still play UO today, right?

What would be the point of RG making a clone of a game he already made, that is still on the market?

6. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Since 1998 there have been well over 1k MMOs made and released.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm

Here is a list of the 636 most popular ones that are in play or development.

You surely must have played a lot of games, that would be 40 new MMOs every year for 16 years, or pretty much 1 every other week. If you really want to be pedantic just to prove some point, I suggest you use less hyperbole.

As for actual play, I have played in this genre for 16 years, and worked on some of it for years. There have been plenty of games made that improved upon UO, and not just using the EQ nor the WOW only model.

Not to mention the entire Eastern MMO market which most westerners never touch or try.

Cheers

7. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I don't think SotA should be a UO clone, but it isn't fair to say that UO fans can just go play UO. If I had a large well-populated free server with a conservative donator store, standard caps, Felucca only, Heavy PK penalties in addition to stat loss, active professional staff, rares, enhanced crafting systems, no insurance, no tokuno/malas/ter mur, balanced PvM, competitive but mature PvP, and a robust RP scene, I'd be there playing on it. No servers meet all or even most of these requirements.

Even in the free server scene, the obsession currently is with cartoony graphics, overpowered artifacts, WoW grinding, endless skills, and buy-your-win donator stores.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

An artist can take 3 water colors and paint anything imaginable. Sounds like you are looking at the 3 colors not the quality of the paint, brush, canvas, and most importantly the final product.

Mercyful Fate likes this.
  9. Ara

Ara Avatar

I sure played alot of games and i have done just that since the 80:ies so i know what i am talking about. I am a player and since UO died february 2003 there havent been 1 MMO that was even close to old UO. And yes most games are WoW and Everquest copycats. There havent been one game developed by a AAA company since the death of UO. Says alot about the MMO genre of today. And the last big one Elder Scrolls is just that, a WoW clone.

Not 1 MMO have been even close to old UO.

BIGGUNSAR, apoc01 and Donferth like this.
  10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

So, just curious, what is your definition of AAA company?

Caliya, NRaas and Joviex like this.
  11. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

You mean none have repeated UO's worst mistakes?
    Hm, I wonder why?

Don't get me wrong, I liked UO a lot, but many things have been improving greatly since UO, especially what is possible with more modern technology.
    Strangely enough I see none of these things in SotA so far.

Take NPC conversation: It is still a stupid keyword lookup. Where conversation is concerned, what they have so far is no improvement at all to games in the late 80s. In fact it is no different than just having a few choices in a clickable tree, just the choices are hidden. Never mind that IBM in the meantime could make a system that played Jeopardy talking in full sentences. It is only a matter of time until some publisher with a lot of money to burn will do something similar in a game.

Ned888 and Joviex like this.
  12. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Thank goodness for that...I mean....ya.

Joviex likes this.
  13. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Most people here look for another UO like game. Portalarium know it.

apoc01 likes this.
  14. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

can we get this moved back to the PvP thread where it belongs?

15. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

There seems to be more up for discussion herein than just PvP, although it too is a topic of discussion.

For now, I'm keeping the thread where it is.

16. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

17. Ara

Ara Avatar

I dont see the freedom we the players had in UO as a mistake.

Having a risk vs reward enviroment with consequences wasn't bad either and so far there havent been 1 AAA company developing a MMO game with UO-freedom, risk vs reward and consequences. Instead there have been all these WoW games with sure better graphics then old UO and alot of features in them that werent possible during the UO time. But where is the gameplay? Run and kill 10 wolves and after that kill 50 kobolds and after that 25 bears isnt good gameplay and sure aint gameplay freedom. It is instead developers controlling your every step. That is poor gameplay. Quest driven gameplay isnt good gameplay. And where is the endgame? Kill same boss once a week is good gameplay?

Technical improvements isnt the same as making a overall good game. UO gameplay is still by far the best one seen in a MMO. Sure some can claim UO graphics is outdated but as far as i am concerned good gameplay is way more important in the long run. 1 feature as getting responses from a NPC dont make SotA a better game then old UO. You need alot more then that.

apoc01 likes this.
  18. barkleyjer

barkleyjer Avatar

Ugh...well I don't want to argue about polls but...Seeing that my options in this poll are UO2 (A game not being made) or SoTA (the game that is being made) I choose SoTA ... however, that does not mean I don't want a large UO influence on SoTA. I don't think this poll is getting the information you wanted but I appreciate the poll for trying to get useful information.

apoc01 likes this.
  19. Ara

Ara Avatar

Do you believe all that still is looking forward to a new UO is here on the SotA forums?

I am the only one from my guild that pledged for SotA in hope of getting a old UO gameplay.

The +50 rest moved on. They dont see SotA as a old UO game and i guess they were right.

I just miss that old game and saw this one as a potential UO2. I guess it is the same chance finding that needle in a haystack to expect today developers making a game similar to what UO once was.

Reilly, jondavis and apoc01 like this.
  20. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

I think it would be in the genre's best interest to move on anyways. There is so many different ways to make an MMORPG we have 1,000 leveling environments and Eve Online. I don't think any company should make a UO clone. I think it might be pretty cool if someone made an early UO like game that leaned more gritty and simulationist. From what I understand Mortal Online (I can't get it working in wine) and the currently being translated Korean game "Black Desert" both do many things much like early UO. But even they moved on to an extent. What I wish people would move on from is World of Warcraft. Not that WOW is bad (WOW is good, that's why it's so successful), but the WOW style game isn't interesting enough to be done over and over and over. That's one of the main reasons I backed SOTA. Because even if I don't end up liking it I'd like to help the industry change.

Phredicon, Ned888, NRaas and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.