How many IPs and ports does SOTA need?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Chiasma, Mar 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

After getting the recent patch and launching the game, antivirus software prompts new connection alert. This issue sometimes happen after certain big patch or during some new patching.

Just curious if there is any info for that?

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

In the Minimum System Requirements thread, the following ports are needed to run the game:

Launcher:
    • TCP 5074
    • UDP 3544
    • UDP 6881
    Game Service:
    • UDP 5054
    • UDP 5055
    • UDP 5056
    • UDP 5057
    • UDP 5058
    • UDP 5059

Numa, FrostII and Alley Oop like this.
  3. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

I checked similar page long time ago. Not sure if it is updated or not as the antivirus software report blocked port not on the list. I normally accept it to play SOTA but it may be a good practice.

I couldn't find the history of the released IPs / port. I should take a screen capture next time if it prompts again.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Anpu likes this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

This Port list is rather old. It is possible that they might be using more ports now and might not be included in that post.

Sea Bear and FrostII like this.
  5. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Seem like 6881 is also bitorrent port client (which is where patch are getting fetched from, a torrent), some anti virus like mcafee might see torrents as a bad thing and block the port (if a bad torrent exist and is being downloaded and show up as an error for example, it could decide to block it for a few days then you cant download the patch again) so check your anti virus or firewall setting make sure its not being blocked

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Sea Bear and Anpu like this.
  6. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

I am having a nightmare with Comcast Xfinity and at least a few others are as well!
    So far no luck having them guide me thru adding/opening up these ports.

Not sure what to do, lost phone connection with Comcast Xfinnity for the 3rd time this am, so I am waiting on Ravalox or someone else to verify these are correct and all of the correct Ports before calling them back Th. Comcast tech walked me thru adding/opening these up but I still cannot update the game .

I just keep getting stuck in the same spot trying to update the game after the Launcher launches. This is as far as I can get. I have uninstalled the game 3 times shut off my security software via Kaspersky! Any other tips or ideas?

[​IMG]

Also here is another thread Ravalox myself and a few others with same problems are communicating on trying to get everyone up and running.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...e-patching-your-sota-client-not-steam.162762/

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    Anpu likes this.
  7. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I ever had that 0% problem being stuck. What i did is just wait with the program open for a while, closed it, reopened it for a while (when i say a while, its like 15-20 minutes) then all of a sudden it came back. Sometimes its long, but never heard of it taking days. If you tryed it on different days for a while each time and its still doing that then yeah something is up with the connection. Since its working for everyone else, and not for you, id say the problem come from your side. Either with comcast, or your computer itself. Make sure to check like i said firewall and all anti virus then if you are 100% sure its not that then it can be either your router having problem or your ISP.

8. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

The new connection alert (sometimes a windows firewall alert will also show) is due to the updating of the file "signatures" that the Antivirus software stores for established applications on your computer. If the alert comes up just after an install or update that you are aware of and know to be from a safe source (IE: not something trying to install from some webpage you went to from google etc.) then you should be ok.

The new connection alerts are generally passive (just notifications), but some also offer an option to allow or block the application. In the case of SotA or other software you know has just updated or patched, then be sure to select the "Allow" option before the notification goes away.

The issues with port numbers and such that are being referenced here are only generally something that needs to be worried about if the software will not connect to the server.

9. Katu

Katu Avatar

Step 1: Download and install Steam
    Step 2: Download and install SotA
    Step 3: Play

10. Akandriel

Akandriel Avatar

This problem of the SoTA updater being stuck at 0% has manifested about a month ago, whereas it worked flawlessly for years. The fast solution was to restart the Comcast modem and it starts to work thereafter. Over time, it stops working.

I prefer to proper fix than to keep rebooting the modem.

I enabled port forwarding in the Comcast modem as suggested here. This didn't resolve the issue.
    I disabled all the firewalls; the firewall in the Comcast modem, and the Eset antivirus firewall. This didn't revolve the issue.

I don't want to use Steam as it's a messy interface.

What is next steps?

11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

It sounds like Comcast is likely monitoring certain types of traffic, such as bittorrent, and blocking it when you pass whatever arbitrary boundary they have set. If that is the case, nothing you do short of using a VPN to spoof your network traffic will have any effect on it. I've had similar issues when trying to run games from inside of college dorms, where they limit what traffic they allow.

VPNs are your friend.

12. Toular

Toular Avatar

I have Comcast also, and I can patch just fine. One point however, is that my Comcast modem is just that: a modem, not a modem/router. Several years ago Comcast "updated" my modem and that update included a built-in router. That router sucked in numerous ways (like taking 5 minutes to respond to a DHCP request), so I returned it and asked for just a modem. Comcast obliged and I went back to my original router. So, in short, do you have a Comcast modem/router or just a modem?

Of course, the real purpose of that modem/router was to allow other Comcast customers to "wifi anywhere" on my service, so... win/win for me?

Anpu likes this.
  13. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Chiasma
    I have noticed issues with xfinity/charter when patching. Would highly recommend a VPN to connect to when patching. After successful patch then quit game, turn off VPN and relaunch game. Here is a free VPN but have not used it before. They say unlimited data and high speed transfers as long as paying customers are not using it. They have connections to US VPN servers and that would block xfinity from managing you connection. I use a paid ibVPN and it is really easy to use but I am overseas for a few years and I need it. Good luch and it this does not help message me and I will help where I can.

PS also look at this post. Unity Crash on Load Screen

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.