Gear for an Archer (I'm baaa-aaaack...)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cora Cuz'avich, Apr 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Been thinking about coming back and giving things another go. (Got a lot of time to fill these days, plus double XP...)

There have been some changes to gear and crafting since I left, and I'm wondering what sort of gear/mw/enchants are in the meta for a light armor archer. I'm AL106, and I believe I am still air/tactics spec. (Though, I didn't unlearn my archer skills, so they're all 100-120.) My craft skills for tailoring/woodworking are all gm (or very close, I think maybe one of the mw skills is only 98 or so) and gm for enchanting. I was previously running around in supple leather (yeah, hardened was better, but suet is much easier to come by.) Mainly used stat bonuses, favoring dex and getting str or int when the rng let me.

I've heard the bandit stuff is good, but I'll consider that a future investment for now. (At least until you can apply patterns to it, because I recall it was pretty fugly.) Also, kinda low on gold, because I've been keeping my rent paid without playing. I have a pretty good store of mats, though, and maybe 200 or so beetles.

So, what should I be looking at making? I know there's some new mw and enchant

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

(To be more clear- I'm not sure what all new things have been added in the last 7-8 months that might affect what I decide to make.)

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

In terms of material bonuses, nothing much has changed, and for masterworks/enchants, on armor, I don't remember much of a change that is gamebreakingly good. The 1 thing I remember from any new effects was 2handed weapons now get heavyweight enchants which are 2x or so of the 1handed version, making 2handed weapons as viable and dual item if your goal would be to have identical mws/enchants.

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I presume that's 2h melee weapons, and not bows?

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

All two handed weapons.

6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Good to know.

7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I dont know if the changes to the stats were there before you stopped playing, but it used to be in like a chest or leggings the minor enchants were 3+ and majors were 6+, well now once you have your subskills ( weapon and armor for enchanting, leather and cloth for tailoring ect... ) 100+, you get majors of 9+ and the minors are 6+. MWing has just added the chance to get a major stat MW of 9+ in addition to the 3+ and 6+. The chances to get majors now are rare, but they do happen.

FrostII, Cora Cuz'avich and Anpu like this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well.... nvm, I guess. It sounds as though some crafting changes are coming soon, so I guess I'll hold off on my return. Or maybe just see how underpowered I am now, with all the nerfs and changes that have happened since I left. Maybe I can add some more places to the list of things I can't do anymore...

9. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

i thought they increased the durability on legs and such as well. So you get more durability now on some things. Just not sure what all and how much

10. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

There is not any negative change to archer, He is still one of the most competitive class and one of the best damage dealer, mages are the ones who got nerfed this time.
    Best gear is still full bandit set ( 250k igg max for a full common set so not so expensive ) and envy bow.

Numa and Antrax Artek like this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Maybe, but I've been gone about 7-8 months or so. I've tried to keep up on changes, but not obsessively. I last made new gear for myself maybe 3-4 months before I decided to take a break- so around over a year ago. There have been a lot of changes since then (two ring slots, artifact combining, the bandit set) so I wanted some advice to make sure I had an up to date idea of what I wanted to make.
    Where do you get bandit armor? I prefer to get my own stuff, even if that takes ridiculously long. (Okay, well, there is a point where I just say "f--- it" and buy stuff, but I like to at least try.) Can you apply patterns to it?

Envy angel still around? I know she's a lot tougher now, so I probably can't grind for bows, but I think I still have one I got last year.

Regardless, if there is in fact another round of crafting changes in the near future, I'll probably just wait and sit on my pile of beetles and tin.

12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Envy Angel is now gone until next year.

13. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

For Bandit gear, the 3rd floor of Tartarus, the maze, will drop Bandit Gear. Since they are artifacts, the can't t be patterned though.

14. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I have been pushing that they really need to allow us to pattern over artifacts. It would open up a lot for people to do so and promote sales of new skins.

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Dang. So ugly.

Rentier, Violet Ronso and Barugon like this.
  16. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

It's a little messed up, the bandit gear is practically required if you want to be comparable to all the other archers using it. A simple fix would be to change the craftable material bonuses that give Base Weapon Damage bonuses to be comparable to a Common Bandit full set (+40%).

Archer viability comes down to DPS and, confusingly enough, Strength is equally significant to an archer as Dexterity for getting that competitive amount of DPS. I've personally been whining about 500 dexterity providing so little benefit and now we see Strength build Archers with Bandit suits everywhere.

Artifacts have far, far outclassed crafted weapons and armor and it is getting extremely boring to be an archer. Even cabalist hoods aren't as beneficial as a bandit hood!

It doesn't get anymore ridiculous than practically every mage is mainly Fire DPS and practically every archer is running a Xen/Envy/Crossbow of Accuracy and a full bandit suit.

Dexterity needs to be JUST as valuable as Strength and Intelligence. Crafted gear needs an edge on artifacts, something only a crafted item can do that cannot be applied to an artifact. And as far as fire magic being the best DPS for this GD long... that needs to be adjusted. All this "freedom" to choose so many different play styles has coalesced into only a handful of most efficient builds.

FrostII, Rentier and Numa like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think a better fix would be to make is so that the bandit gear can't be enchanted or masterworked. Same for the Envy bow.

18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, I see that. I actually played a few hours tonight. I can still fight dragons, but holy crap it takes three times longer now. I'd need the bandit stuff just to be able to sort of do what I could do eight months ago. And I wasn't even all that good then.

19. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

You can find it in tartarus maze from satyr, or in tartarus PVP maze.
    Envy Angel gone away til next february.

20. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

No dragons got damage resistance buffed, even with bandit set it Will be harder than before, but you can do Many other things much better than before.

Violet Ronso likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.