Feedback for what it is worth

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jschoice, Apr 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

One of the things I have always liked about this game is that the Devs do listen to players and have always tried their best to implement changes and recommendations made by the community regardless of how much money the person paid toward the game.

Having said that I have a HUGE problem when it is suggested that a player or small number of players who have great ideas be allowed to dictate how the game is developed. I am pretty sure that Chris' answer to that question was his way of being nice when answering it but it really came off odd sounding.

I know we have lots of experienced gamers in this community and even a few who have experience in in game development. Lots of people over the years have suggested and recommended a ton of cool features but one thing that I have learned with having conversations with actual game developers is that what seems like a great idea on paper is not easily coded into a game especially one that is released.

I have heard Rami Ismail speak several times about how looking "under the hood" (meaning the code) of a game is often very complex and messy. So changing things becomes difficult. There are a ton of great ideas from players some are extremely elaborate and some seem simple but based on current systems are hard to implement.

We have a ton of unfinished systems currently in place and some of the fixes seem more like temporary patches then actual systemic changes.

Another thing I like about this game is that it caters to a wide audience of play styles so it is important that the Dev team looks at as many playstyles as possible. Fzol is a min/maxer, Elrond lives for crafting, others love RP, some are casuals so it is important to keep everyone content and have an enjoyable gaming experience.

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Has been this way since day 1.

3. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Yes there certainly have been systems but in place to please certain people before other critical features were in or finished but I believe Chris and those working on the team are dedicated and talented people who can do amazing stuff if they can stick with a plan and know how to use some ideas from the community but aren't afraid to put other things off.

4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

From what I recall in one of Chris's streams a while back is that they are cleaning up old code as they go along when they are bringing in updates to the systems. I can't recall what Chris called the old code but he had a name for it. As they bring in new phases they are updating things the same as when they switch to new unity builds it forces some of the changes to happen faster as things break. As always the game has been getting better every release just not at the pace that some desire. Myself I think in the long run we will see everything become what was envisioned. All good things come to those who wait :)

jschoice likes this.
  5. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

If I recall correctly, he called it "spaghetti code".

arcdevil and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Who on the team was responsible for ensuring the code and technical aspects of the project were structured, followed programming rules, and high quality? Never mind, no sense pointing fingers.

arcdevil likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Mmm... spaghetti....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.