About star and planets effecting crafting.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mac2, Apr 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

If you think about this, for people who do not play often, and having to try and figure this out, would it not be better to just ditch this system? For someone who does not play often and wants to craft, they might have to wait 3 months to have the right time to craft. Without any information from the devs, combined with rng, how are we suppose to figure this out? pump 2 mil coin down the crapper just to try and figure it out?

This just seems like a bad system. All the times I would take 5 items and craft with them to see if my luck was good, turns out the stars were just not in my favor, GARBAGE. I wonder how many mats I have pissed away from this.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Umm... was there something announced related to this?

CatherineRose, Mal Hari and Mac2 like this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Elrond 03/30/2020
    LB confirmed -Crafting is tied to the astronomy ...Chris can you share any details on this ?

4. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

During one of Fizzle streams..when asked ''Is crafting tied to Astronomy''LB reply was

[​IMG]

When asked for more details on how it works

[​IMG]

Chris was also asked about this in one of his streams this month but wouldnt give any details on how it actually works.

So how do we find answers about a system implemented ingame when the people who put it there wont give out any ?

5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I honestly think that this is one of those systems that LB wanted in the game, but it never actually made it...

Astirian, Mal Hari, Barugon and 3 others like this.
  6. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

What’s the source code formula say?

Titania Xylia and Mal Hari like this.
  7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

If crafting is indeed linked to astronomy, it would be beneficial to understand the mechanics to not waste more resources than usual.
    We tried to test this theory early on, but without being able to get any feedback from the rng other than "you failed on 95% for the 4th time in a row and this is totally fine" there is simply no way to gather meaningful data.

I have some people swear that they do better crafting during the day, during the night, and some people who refuse to craft while its raining, who only craft naked, etc. but its hard to weed out the superstition and confirmation bias. As crafting is such an integral and expensive system, clarity around such rules is expected.

8. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

And, as with any system, it should be tested to ensure its working properly. If even frequent QA testers don't know if its in or what it does, who knows if it even works as intended.-

Sonja, arcdevil, Lily Byrd and 4 others like this.
  9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Right, or it might just be like fishing bait. It might be doing something, but the effect is so impossible to detect over massive sample sizes that its completely irrelevant. be nice to know either way lol

10. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

I think it's a very cool concept. It both makes the world more interesting and could throttle crafting certain items to particular seasons.

For it to actually be something fun and interesting it needs to be discoverable. There should be a quest to assemble a moon dial where you learn about each planet in order to complete it. There should be Obsidian books scattered about that describe aspects of it. The crafting UI should show the percent chance with Ability x% + "Mysterious Forces" y% and if you've completed the quests and are wearing an astrolabe it should replace "Mysterious Forces" with something more descriptive.

They definitely spent a lot of time on the planet orbits, astrolabe, moon dials and such. Like a lot of aspects of the game it needs to be better polished and exposed to players in game.

Sonja, Astirian, OzzyOsbourne and 6 others like this.
  11. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Maybe Orrey's could be upgrade to show more information?
    (with a quest about using them on crafting trainers?)

Also, orrery's could show their overlays more correctly, It would help a lot for people getting their heads around the movements of the celestial bodies...
    Last time I checked the small ones displayed the constellations to a 90 degree angle to if you looked away from the item and looked up and watched their movements above you in the scene.

They feel like holding a earth globe at a 90 degree angle if you know what I mean...

I would love to see items that are runic phrases (that are only visible during a chosen astrological period?) glow and be used as an ultra secret that could lead to some small container where you could place perhaps just a note, somewhat like a "geocache".

One day maybe be able to place such objects out in the wild would be another awesome thought... Place anywhere object limits for Scenes... 1?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Sonja, unicornslady, Mal Hari and 3 others like this.
  12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Or, it explains why sometimes you get a streak of no/more than average exceptionals. I know that LB was big on not letting people look under the hood, but my understanding is that Catnip's viewpoint on the matter is to make more under the hood stuff visible, so it seems weird for Chris not to reveal it if it's in the game. More likely, if it is in (big if) Chris doesn't actually know how it works, and doesn't have the time to delve into the code.

Regardless, if it is in, we should at least be given some "immersive" info on it, so we have a direction to go to try and work out the particulars

Sonja, Astirian, arcdevil and 6 others like this.
  13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Its a system with a lot of potential, if visibility of the system were improved. Moondials get it done, but not in a particularly user-friendly way. With the considerable amount of 'astronomical' items in game, references to sky, planets, etc, the inclusion of moondials, astrolabes, observatories, magic schools based on sun and moon, and so on and so forth, it would be nice to see this tied together in a neater, less vague way.

The risk is adding (yet even MORE) arbitrary wait mechanics to a game that is already chock full of them. If you say you get a better chance of getting a dex enchant if you wait until the moon is in the house of the whatever, this ends up with people having to sit around waiting for something to happen, like we already do with tediously long refining bars, and tediously long ore / monster respawns, and tediously inconvenient npc schedules, and so on.

I'd rather see this implemented in a way that certain crafting materials could only be obtained during certain astrological alignments, but actual usage should not be impacted, else we run into "massively inconvenient and annoying" system rather than something nifty/desirable. For example, have node spawns that vary based on different celestial alignments. If you're running around killing/harvesting things anyway, and they are evenly spread, you'll add another commodity but for folks after a particular one they could plan accordingly or trade for the ones they need. You could also include seasonal things, we already have some of this (ie hoppers on cotton bushes).

The idea is to make it interesting and meaningful.
    I refer to my above example about fishing bait, whose bonuses are for the most part, unobservable. This is not meaningful. Save up a hundred 'rare' bait, catch 100 of the same crap you always catch with no increase to speed, no increase to success chance, nothing. Conclusion - fishing bait is a pointless addition and by obscuring what it actually does and not giving players any numbers it becomes utterly forgettable.

Sonja, Astirian, Mal Hari and 5 others like this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

It's probably, yet another system that was added, but was never verified and checked to be working *correctly*. Similar to the Bait System and the Overland Encounter system.

Elnoth, Sonja, Black Tortoise and 4 others like this.
  15. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

- We know sieges are tied to astrology
    - We know harvests are tied to seasons ( beetles, hoppers different drop rates during different seasons)
    - We know some reagents drop are tied to day/night changes ( black pearls higher drop rate during night time)

Dont be so quick to dismiss Lord British ..if anyone would know stuff ...would be him.

16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I didn't know beetles were affected by season. I know hoppers were, that was stated when they were added to the game.

Black Tortoise, Mal Hari and FrostII like this.
  17. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

I agree, any sky buff system needs to work in such a way to reduce/avoid RNG.

If sky effects are causing negative RNG when crafting, they need to be changed.
    And the devs should provided detailed instructions/lore on how the sky system affects crafting.

If sky buffs are implemented well, they could be really fun and interesting.

Sonja, Scooby Doo, Rentier and 3 others like this.
  18. Lained

Lained Avatar

If no player can ascertain the rules of a system what's the point of such a system?

19. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

Wait so when are you more likely to find beetles, in the spring?

20. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

I would think Beetle Carapace should be more plentiful in the fall / autumn, but I was not able to find any documentation on this.
    Can anyone confirm whether they get more Beetle Carapace during a certain season?
    Or @Elgarion, could you ask the devs to clarify?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.