About star and planets effecting crafting.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mac2, Apr 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Another sign that Lord British never worked deeply in the developpment of this game. Every player knew about that promise (that's what this topic is about by the way) so there is no fame about mentioning its existence but how the ex-lead designer could ignore the details he was supposed to be thinking about ? It's simply beyond me.

2. Abstrax Phoenix

Abstrax Phoenix Avatar

Oh yeah, its not in the game. Thats why you can fail 4-5 times on a 95% chance with complete EASE. Right? Or how about the times where you fail 4 times on a 52%, make a new piece, and fail another 4 times on a 52%. I mean I get that could happen like once or twice in a life time, but it happens every other day. So either we are shown the wrong percentages, or ya know, our percentages arent real, because this star is aligned with this one and this but not this one and this moon is x high meaning your chance went from a 95% chance to like a 70%?

Black Tortoise and tomcat_de like this.
  3. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Yeah, it's just Sota's bad RNG system. Chris has said he's looked at the RNG and confirmed it as working on several occasions. Pretty sure he would have noticed some arcane system of interactions while looking at it if they were really there.

arcdevil likes this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's the nature of random numbers. That is, people only notice failures. This was true even way back in the days of UO and I clearly remember people complaining about that "broken" RNG.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  5. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

You are 100% correct. You can Google a probability test on the internet or you can flip a coin 100 times and record the results. A coin flip is 50/50 chance but if you flip a coin 100 times you might get 30 heads and 70 tails one time and 80 heads and 30 tails another. Only after thousands and thousands of flips does the percentages eventually settle to around 50%

Anpu and Barugon like this.
  6. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

One of the more critical problems with SOTA was the fact the majority of the Developers never played the game. I remember hearing LB state proudly he does most of his gaming on his phone, was too busy to game at a PC. DS stated he occasionally gamed on the PC but his favorite game was Fallout.

Linking crafting mechanics to in game celestial mechanics sounds nifty, until you actually PLAY the game and realize the obvious flaws of such a mechanic in an MMO. The game lore should include specifics that were discovered by NPCs as in game ancient astrologers and documented in rare books to be found by players. So the people playing the game would have a clue and know the system actually exists and how it functions.

All that said, I'm 99.9999% certain the system would be far too complex to implement into SOTA. We can't even get in game maps to work right after so many years. Reality is just a poorly coded crafting RNG. I don't want to sound negative, but I've looked behind the curtain and seen the Great and Powerful Oz.

7. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I believe the system is in place. requires Astro globe or necklace to figure out ;)

8. Lained

Lained Avatar

He's played through the entire story line several times.

9. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

How much crafting is involved within the Story?

10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

The whole system is designed to cause us to look to the sky and … wonder.

Chemeck likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That system is for sieges and requires a moondial or astrolabe to figure out.

Anpu likes this.
  12. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

No, don't "ditch" this system, write a player guide to it or better yet the devs need to include it in the game guide to let players new/old know how to craft during these events... What is the exact improvement % wise does crafting improve during these events? How often are these events? I don't think it's months between events or is it? Maybe if there were a shorter time in between events...

13. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I am aware of that too. pretty sure though the symbols in the sky also relate to crafting.

14. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Reading the signs is a fun way of knowing the activities of the cabalists. As far as crafting, it's an arcane science.

15. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

From today's Twitch stream:

6:39 Crowquills: !question
    when crafting astronomy stats reveal?

7:10 Crowquills: !question
    when astronomy stats reveal?

At about 0:30:35 Elgarion said (to Chris):
    This is probably an easy one to answer because we touched on this last week. Somebody asked us last week about revealing how astronomy affects crafting, and the answer would be: "Whenever you get to your deep dive into crafting you'll learn all that stuff.", right?

Chris answered:
    Yeah, and that's probably one coming up. I'm not gonna say I'll be ready next week, but maybe the week after that I can do a, we can do a stream and we can actually have a theme for a change instead of just doing Q&A, and we can make the theme: "Me talking about some crafting stuff that I'm gonna be changing". Of course by next week, next week will be lock down, so the week after that, that'll be the one right after the release. That'll be good, I can go over all the stuff I changed for the release, and then talk about the stuff, now that I've, you know, that I've had my fingers in it a bit, that I'm gonna be doing going forward.

At about 0:39:05 Chris said:
    When astronomy stats reveal? They will be revealed when I actually look into it and see if that is in there. That again was, for those who don't know, that was a Richard thing. I think it happened. I honestly do not know if you get crafting, if there's stats from the crafting side of things.

Friday stream with Atos, Elgarion & List doing some Q&A and Prizes!
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/594928049

16. Numa

Numa Avatar

I think I can hear SOTA's constellations and stars giggling about the many, many arguments and discussions about crafting and RNG :rolleyes:

Turns out that both sides were right all along - the RNG was coded correctly and that there was something indeed very iffy about crafting results.

Moondials and astrolabes are probably going to be essential tools for a master craftsman.

@Bowen Bloodgood , you better finish that observatory of yours and have a crafting garden right beside it :)

17. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks Wilfred :)

Rentier and Wilfred like this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm pretty sure that he'll find it was never implemented. It was talked about but nothing ever became of it. Personally, I don't want my crafting efficacy tied to celestial events.

evillego6 and Anpu like this.
  19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yes. There is something very cool about the idea of enchanting a sword when certain objects are in the sky to affect the outcome. There is nothing cool about going to do some crafting, then realizing you'll get a better result if it were five hours later or 3am or noon five days from now.

Rentier, Black Tortoise, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  20. Charon

Charon Avatar

This. I love the concept of astronomy having an impact of crafting but a hard NO on the reality of it.

Gustach, Rentier, Adam Crow and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.