Should Exploiters be...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xee, Apr 13, 2020.

?

Should Exploiters be Banned or other?

1. Ban them

42.2%
  2. Temp long term ban/roll back

19.5%
  3. Roll back

11.7%
  4. Reset / Roll back of stolen xp.

29.9%
  5. Other

27.9%
  6. Publish character names that exploit allowing players and markets to deal with them.

16.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

With the recent number of people exploiting it has come to my guilds attention that we think that there should be a better way of dealing with offenders, especially if they have been caught before. What are your thoughts on this?

I added another option as well allowing 2 choices.

To clarify

*ROLLBACK (Skills and XP)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

rolling back the xp from the pool is neat and all. but, what about the exploited xp that was already spent on skills?

3. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

my thoughts as well which is why I added reset and roll back. I think repeat offenders should at best loose all the skill gains from the time of exploit as well the xp removed at least. With that first round of exploits removing the XP this same thought came up what if they already spent it.

4. Asti

Asti Avatar

I obviously don't have all the details but the general perception does seem to be the punishments are not severe enough. Especially if this is repeat offenders I think it should be dealt with very harshly.

arcdevil, Mhtic, Lord Stein and 5 others like this.
  5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

IMO, repeat offenders should be perma banned, that is for sure.

When Chris disabled 10x exp on quests, he told us it was due to the shared exp with new characters being created to complete some quests, and then said that some "Legit" players did it because they thought they would end up falling behind, and honestly that didn't really appease me, on the contrary, because clearly, if deleting a character and then creating a new one to rush quests on repeat was the technique, how come not a single legit player realised it made no sense and reported it? And if they reported it, why did they do it? I'm guessing Chris didn't want to ban them because they are still some of the pockets that he has access to, but that's not the subject anyways.

So IMO, Reset/rollback of any gains SINCE the beginning of using the exploit (Hey, you spent 3 hours in a CP between your quest runs, TOO BAD!) with a very strict warning that any future exploit used will result in a permanent ban, and then permanent ban for repeat offenders. It's easy to know what is an exploit : Free crowns for selling a craftable home? Rinse and repeat character creation? Craft an item while alt-tabbing into a rickroll video? If something usually doesn't work the way it does now, or if it requires the use of a 2nd character/alt for it to work, it is quite possibly an exploit... Use your brains people...

OzzyOsbourne, arcdevil, Mhtic and 2 others like this.
  6. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

http://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1249665260908417024

We are definitely all tired of people abusing the system and then mass punishment/rollbacks/resets and downtime also including extended Dev times to fix these issues.
    Some real examples need to be made.

I try to help out the best I can, show how systems can be manipulated/report issues. But actually abusing this game/exploits etc, are a hard NO for me.

7. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

That's not too difficult - Roll back all of the XP leaving the pool in the negative and it has to be replenished before there's xp to go into skills again.

For the other - I honestly don't know what this exploit was. I spent most of the day crafting potions (it was 2x-xp) and I've done that most days for the past few weeks. My overall skill gain wasn't out of line with what I've gained in the past from a day of crafting. But - I do track XP and resource usage closely on a spreadsheet and I could see that something was wrong, but I could not see what. Per each craft of 3 potions, I was getting the expected XP added to my pool, and each craft was using the correct number of Obsidian Chips. But from my spreadsheet tracking, I was getting nearly double the XP from each chip used. Considering that it's simple division of xp gained by chip used, this does not reconcile with the XP gained staying consistent from before - and the chip use staying consistent. I never could figure out what was wrong... and given the XP per craft... and chip use per craft were the same as before - it looks like nothing was wrong. I am still confused by it. So - did I exploit? I do not think so... but I am unsure. I'd hate to be banned without even realizing I was doing something wrong (if I was?)... all I did was craft as normal... and in the end, I don't see any real gain from it.

FrostII, majoria70 and Ostvel like this.
  8. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Not sure why this is even a question. 99.9% of all other games have exploiting as perminate ban. Not sure why this game is different, but perhaps that's why exploiters keep popping up.

OzzyOsbourne, arcdevil, Mhtic and 5 others like this.
  9. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

In this instance, you are also not a "Repeat" offender. So even if you unknowingly did something it is not an issue and you would loose some xp(s).

10. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I believe it was something to do with crafting gear based on what was said yesterday in the Uni. chat.

FrostII likes this.
  11. Illiaro

Illiaro Avatar

It is a lot of work to roll back exploits, so I don't have a lot of sympathy for the ones who did. I've seen games ruined by things like this before and we are much better of without them.

arcdevil likes this.
  12. CICI

CICI Avatar

Any crafter most likely will get ban for just crafting anything within the time of the bug.... lol because he or she fail to report it :rolleyes:

13. Artomus Sumotra

Artomus Sumotra Avatar

If there is an obvious bug being exploited to extremes at least temp banning and xp roll back and removal of skills gained from said exploit... Repeat offenses need long term and or permanent ban with loss of ability for co owners to loot properties etc. At the moment of sacrifice let no blood be spilled!

14. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I am pretty sure it was a specific thing that was the issue... maybe I am wrong, but seeing that it looks like they have a snapshot of before and after they will know who was taking advantage of it. I am sure some possible legit players may be in that pool for sure. which is why I put the option of temp long term ban with roll back (skills and XP) perhaps I should clarify that.

arcdevil and Drilikath like this.
  15. necronut

necronut Avatar

If you banned all the people exploiting at this dinner table, you'd quickly find yourself eating with a surprisingly small number of people.

evillego6, CICI, Lazarus Long and 2 others like this.
  16. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

At the end of the day it’s hard to keep up with the exploiters, botters, LUA editors, packet editors.

if people are getting a pass because they purchased a LOTM, then yikes, I’m outie.

17. necronut

necronut Avatar

Oh, you already know in Sota mom's house if 2 kids get up to no good and get grounded, the kid with the most money will be given the most lenience.

18. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

hmm not sure what house you are from but that would not fly at mine lol.

arcdevil and FrostII like this.
  19. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

For sure... as well Ban's from all our towns, along with no support for their sales/wares. SOTA has a strong community so action would happen that is for sure. perhaps adding a perma mark (title that can't be removed on all characters created on the account) so player base can decide if they want to do business. would be interesting lol.

arcdevil, Adam Crow, Ostvel and 2 others like this.
  20. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Definitely a different approach... :)

Adam Crow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.