Founder's Lighthouse - feeback..?

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Bubonic, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well the original Kickstarter text seemed to indicate that.

But I found out from here that wasn't going to be the case, too many problems with it. It's either or at the moment.

realistically, as a knight you are going to choose between 3 homes : Founder Knight Keep, Benefector Knight Keep on a land village lot or Lighthouse on a waterfront village lot.

All the other stuff is houses for lower tiers.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

This will for sure create a situation where all the backers will run to waterfront locations to snatch one up, because they're on the waterfront.

Like in real life, that will be prime location. So they'll have a cabana or a lighthouse to choose from, they're going to pick lighthouses.

It seems from the current state of the game there will be less water lots than land lots, so waterlots will be premium.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  3. Floors

Floors Avatar

Add in the fact that Barons and Dukes will have even more exclusive waterfront only buildings, and I think waterfront lots will end up being places where there are virtual duels to the death.

4. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

I'm not sure you understand how much really needs to go into development. Or maybe you do, but you're overestimating the size of the team at Portalarium because they're awesome. Sure, $1 - $3 million seems like a lot to the normal person, but imagine how much is spent on staff, rent, utilities, food, computers, software, time, research, entertainment, etc.

Especially when you look at the stats for say, Skyrim (all numbers are not exact because I'm not an accountant at Bethesda):
    # of years to develop - 3.5 years
    # of developers - 90
    # of actors for VO - 83
    Development and marketing budget - $85 MILLION

$85 MILLION!! That number astounds me. Now look at the $3 million that has been raised and what the game is looking like now and what they plan on implementing over the next five years. I hope that puts things into a little better perspective.

There will be more variations of waterfront homes, not everyone wants a lighthouse, what about the cabanas? Where's my piña colada?!

Seon and Koldar like this.
  5. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, RelExpo, fair points. but we were promised during kickstarter these things.

Like a lot of kick starters, they said, we need to raise 1 million in crowd funding to do this game the right way.

Then there were stretch goals for additional things from 1 to 1.8 million.

I expect when someone goes on Kickstarter and says, we've got a demo, back end systems developed from previous funding at our company,

and we need to raise x amount to make a game... to me that is a contract that says, this is just what we need to make this a reality - including all the things promised as part of getting

to that money in the first place.

Since every time I watch RG in the dev chats he's talking from a swanky town house in NYC with a ton of expensive things in the background, I kind of assumed that

yes, they have other funding to make the game happen.

The only reason i bring any of this up is because there is a lot of this attitude lately like "we can't do it because we are responsible for not raising enough money as backers so give them a pass"

and I just want to provide some counter point to that.

wagram and Joviex like this.
  6. Floors

Floors Avatar

Also, this game isn't even close to looking or playing like Skryim, nor do I expect that. To be fair.

Koldar and RelExpo like this.
  7. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

I'm glad. I don't either but it seems a fair amount of people do and that's not a fair comparison.

I can understand the frustration about being told one thing and then it changing, but that's the very nature of game development. So many things are modified, some things get lost but sometimes replaced with something better. As a Kickstarter backer, I feel they've still stayed true to what was originally advertised.

And lol @RG in a swanky house. Come on man.... it's RG! Let Lord British have his manor! *grins*

Koldar and mitchellhamilton like this.
  8. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

I like the lighthouse. It's a distinct structure and the more housing options there, the more vibrant the towns will look.

9. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

My husband and I love the lighthouse! Looking forward to checking it out in R3.

10. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I think this house is terrific! It looks like the stairs go up to the third level, which could provide a terrific view. I assume the lighthouse option will only be available on 'ocean' waterfront lots, and of course, I hope these ocean lots are spaced apart enough, not to see two or more of the same type in a row. (I'd also hate to see a lighthouse shining into a Lord of the Manor's Castle windows all night. ;D

But lot spacing, variety and placement is something I expect will continue to be developed and tweaked.. Great work so far!! This is really terrific.

I believe the light house should optionally be a building that could be placed not just on the water, but also on coastal/beach front lots.. and also on lots at the tops/edges of high cliffs, not far from the beach/coast. (same with the Lord of the manor castles).

11. Floors

Floors Avatar

One thing I don't understand about the model designers work on many of these models is, why aren't you giving thought to maximizing internal floor space ?

For example, why are we losing a third of the space of the 2nd floor of this lighthouse when a simple cut out in the floor would easily accommodate the staircase ?

I dunno, decisions like that baffle me. It's the same thing that happened with the stairs to the roof in the Founder Knight's home, and the Benefactor Knights home is one of the worst internal layouts in the game.

I can't be the only one that thinks about that

12. Miracle Dragon

I'm actually confused on the wording in the latest update (with the lighthouse and the non-combat pets).. both of these 'features' are listed as 'early founder rewards'.

Is this intended to mean the white-wearing royal founders specifically receive the pets and the waterfront property options?
    It sounds that way, because the developers were differentiating royal founders from new founders by referring to them as 'early founders' until the new name was decided..
    but clicking on the words in the update takes us to the FAQ where no such discernment is explained.

Either 'early' should be removed from the update text completely, or it needs to be replaced with 'royal' and the FAQ needs to be updated accordingly. thanks!

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Well, part of the issue is there is also a backer tier called 'Founder', so AFAIK 'Early Founder' is used to differentiate the KS/Post-KS Founders from backers of any type with the Founder tier?

Time Lord and Miracle Dragon like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops:
    I'm actually thinking that it would be easy for our artists to change the skin of the lighthouse outside, lop off the light and so thus giving us a choice of ;

:D "Watch Tower vs Lighthouse" :D

I just can't see it being ambient to have so many lighthouses in a row, where a naturally moated watch tower, would break up the image of having so many light houses together :confused:

Or maybe they plan on having boats fly or something and need the track lightingo_O
    We did see a flying wagon in the R3 sneak peek...of course cows could fly too...
    But I know that was just a shameless old Pink Floyd album plug...;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

15. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Was kind of hoping to get a functioning Tesla tower.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Miracle Dragon

Oh please, no! The constant sound of the potential windmill neighbors being loud enough, thank you!

"All the noise, oh the noise, noise, noise, noise; there's one thing I hate, all the noise, noise, noise, Noise!" ~g

17. Foobard

Foobard Avatar

I think the lighthouse is really cool, and the best design so far. If they could lop off the light, replace it with an observation deck on the roof, and make it able to be placed on dry land, that is definitely the house I would want.

My second favorite is the Benefactor Knight, followed by the Founder Knight home.

18. stile

stile Avatar

It is my hope to make my vendor shop the lighthouse. I have the spare plot and house for it, but as a store lot placement are last, plots may be used up for it. "Come visit Sundries From Beneath for your shopping needs! Where we light the way to help you find your way out of the black cavernous deeps!"

19. Sir Edward

Sir Edward Avatar

The lighthouse that the Portalarium created look great. It´s look like a real old lighthouse. There are 2 different kind of light house, the first one the people put it in the rocks of a innabitated island or something like that , just to alert about sand walls and submerge rocks, the other one are build near the city, just to alert the ship the docking location and the right direction .

20. PanthersDen

PanthersDen Avatar

You know, I like the looks of the lighthouse, BUT, it's SO much smaller (space wise for items) compared to the knight house. it would be nice if it was bigger on the inside and had some type of large outside deck. Going by space wise, I personally would love a knight house with waterfront property. Sitting on the top level looking out at the water would be fantastic. I think giving us a choice between picking a lighthouse or knight house on waterfront would be awesome.

Joviex, tradyblix and Kaisa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.