The Average Player (Q&A Session)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Strider99, Apr 7, 2020.

?

How much Experience is in your adventure and crafting pool on average?

1. Less Than 1 MB

10.9%
  2. 1-5 MB

41.3%
  3. 5-20 MB

15.2%
  4. 20+MB

21.7%
  5. 100 MB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Pool, huh? Is like swimming...Does that help?

2.2%
  7. Greater than 100 MB

8.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strider99

Strider99 Bug Hunter

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to attempt to gather some information in preparation for a live stream I intend to request with Chris (Atos) about desires of the average player (5-25 or 30 Hours a week game play). I am posting some general Poll’s here and I would like people to post replies to this message with specific questions that are important to you and I will try to compile the most common ones onto a Q&A doc that I will give to Chris in advance of the stream. I intent to gather this information for 2 to 4 weeks before requesting a stream.

I would prefer questions be mostly from average players, not Power players, ie.. No skills really above 120, Most skills GM or lower, a few million exp in your pool etc.

It is my assertion that only a very few players are power players and that the bulk of us are what I consider average players. Part of the purpose of this post is an attempt to qualify some of this and identify what issues are most important to the average player and then communicate that in a constructive positive way to the developers.

We love this game and want to make it as good as possible. Please leave any game bashing for your own posts and focus on constructive improvements needed that impact the majority of players.

Respectfuly,

Strider Green

(The Faery Frog Prince, The Farmer, The fisher, the craftsman)

Cordelayne, Numa, Prada and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

There's a problem with this question. Adv Pool and Prod Pool are VARY different. At least for me I have an entire choice between the two. So, I think for this information to really be useful, you really need two questions.

(in addition, I'm not sure what "MB" as units is)

Prada, FrostII, Mishra and 1 other person like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm curious as to what conclusion(s) could be reached regarding the "average" player by knowing what's generally in their Adv/Prod pools ?

Vaiden Luro, Prada and GMDavros like this.
  4. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

Agreed. Not sure what you'll measure about any given player based on their pool. I'd warrant that most players of any skill level look to process their pools into useful skill gains as soon as possible. Only a very small handful of people wouldn't find processing their pool ASAP useful as they'd have little to put it toward.

Or, like me you've been hoarding XP pool because you're comfortable where you are and are waiting for something useful to put it towards.

Just my 2 cents.

Fenris

Prada and FrostII like this.
  5. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I disagree, my impression is that most realize (or are told) fairly early on to limit the number of skills they are training at any one time so their pool is growing. The single biggest factor in the speed at which you gain a skill is how big your pool is. Anymore, even with a skill or two training, getting your pool up to the 10's of millions isn't hard. I just watched everyone's favorite hack (we love you laz!) getting 100s of Millions.

Prada likes this.
  6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Doesn't matter whether or not you "save" xp's in your pool or spend them as you get them.
    In the end you wind up with exactly the same skill levels at any given date and time after they're spent.
    Some people save them, some people spend as they go.

Cordelayne and Prada like this.
  7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I voted 5-20mb being my average, if MB stands for million? I'll agree with Tina though, what is MB?

8. Abstrax Phoenix

Abstrax Phoenix Avatar

Yeah no clue what MB are... And im going to have to disagree that an average player doesnt have skills above 120. I have a friend who has been playing for a month, probably 6 hours a day on average. Definitely not a "power player", and he has multiple skills up to 120+. You do realize that from lvl 1-120 for a normal skill is around 9m. Thats about 1 eastreach gap run. Also, what info could you possibly get from the amount of xp in someones current pool...

Prada and Tiina Onir like this.
  9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

It is a variable for me as to how much exp I have in my pool. If the next skill/s I want to raise use regs or are a pain to cast ( like torpor or the bard skills) I am going to build a pool of 100 mil +. If I am just raising up skills that do not take regs or level really easy, I will level them as I play or between attenuation. For crafting, if I am leveling up MW or enchant skills I build a pool up of 20+ mil, if I am just level up a base skill or something that does not take mats, I will level it right away and just leave it on. So my answer is not set, it changes as to what my goals are and the skill I want to level, all variable.

FrostII, Prada, Tiina Onir and 2 others like this.
  10. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Sure, processing my pool might be useful to me. Doesn't mean I pay attention to what's in it or choose my actions based on what would most efficiently "process" it. Some of us just aren't stats players and base our play on things other than numbers.

I really applaud the intent here, @Strider99 , but I agree that this probably isn't the most useful criterion for distinguishing between average and power players. In fact, any numbers-based attempt to do so right now might be skewed, as a lot of "average" players have free time now that they normally wouldn't.

As a casual, average player (putting aside for the moment my solo-player concerns, as they're different),
    my concerns would be
    • "What are you doing to make rewards more dependent on skill and less on gear? I want to win my own fights, not have my gear win it for me."
    • "What are you doing to make it easier and more reliable for me to tell which areas will be a fun challenge for me and which will just whomp me immediately? The tier levels and color codes can't be trusted."
    • "How can I furnish my new row house when all the deco prices are through the roof -- especially the easily findable stuff in the NPC merchants? Everything in the game needs to lose a zero."
    • "When are you going to improve the quest journal? I get busy with real life for a few weeks, come back and can't figure out what I've done and haven't."
    • "When do we get new appearance options? When is the common cloak going to stop glitching through my shoulders?"
    • "Why are there so many scenes with nothing to do but kill things? There are usually hints of a story, notes lying around, abandoned buildings, other clues, but when I try to figure out what to do with them, what to solve, there's nothing. Just loose threads with no way to tie them up. Who wants to live in a world where killing is the answer to everything?"
    • "Why don't you want people to be able to make a living as crafters? Why can't I buy basic recipes more easily? Why can't I sell what I make and still make a slight profit? Why is my success as a crafter dependent on killing things instead of on crafting?"
    • "Why do you keep giving us login "rewards" that are so tacky? When are we going to be able to put everything in containers instead of cluttering up our bank?"
    • "What's up with all these darn bear headdresses in the loot? Make them go away, please! They're worse than the rusty spoons!"

Vaiden Luro and Prada like this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Well said, @Mac2 good advice....

12. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Definitely not an average gamer either, that's nearly a full work day of sota every day! If you count the weekend, that's more than a working weeks worth of playing.

13. Numa

Numa Avatar

Oddly enough, the 1-20MB seems to be the norm as far as the votes cast are concerned.

If MB is what I think it is, that would be 1,024,000 though we're not really talking about megabytes :)

Violet Ronso and Cordelayne like this.
  14. Abstrax Phoenix

Abstrax Phoenix Avatar

Im not saying he plays EVERY single day... Im saying that the days that he does play he usually plays about 6 hours on average. Sometimes less, rarely more. He plays about 4-5 days a week. On the high end, thats 30 hours. On the low end, thats 24 hours, or less, depending on how much he plays on the 4-5 days. Im sure that an average player can play about 4-5 days a week and for maybe 4-6 hours a day? Especially with the corona now, a ton of people are laid off.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

MB is megabyte, which has absolutely nothing to do with experience points.

16. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Hello, I guess you can call me an "average" player, I've been playing since 1st release, joined in 2013 at Edelman level so that I can brew special beer and have tax free lot, I have just the one account, but with 3 chr slots and extra bank storage, I bought the 5 level mining basement and mounts pack animal & riding mounts(2)...

My adv lvl just hit 75, I have only two GM skills (polearm & archery I believe both tier 1), my crafting skills: I think 100 mining with all gathering skills in the 90s, my smelting is probably the highest @98, BS in 90s pretty much everything else in 90s all tier 1... I have 610k adv points and 520k crafting points in my pools... Yes, I mean kilo bits as in 610,000 adv and 520,ooo crafting points... I have never hit 1,000,000 (1MB)points ever don't see how anyone could/would need that high of pool points... And I have only 1 mill IGG in the banks, so I'm poor...

My questions would be:
    -How some have MW/Ench skills in the 120s or higher? These players must have endless resources and I don't think they gathered themselves or bought from others...
    -How a player can get to adv lvl 100 or higher in the shortest time frame? I think group play has all the advantages and single play is penalized...
    -How a player can get all the above? Play 24/7 or hire a surrogate to play for them or us a BOT to play while AFK?
    -How are they planning to fix the economy? Auction house? Global search? or maybe not allow overpricing of items, have the game control prices... When there's a glut, lower the price, when scarce raise the price, but have the game control the max price a player can sell for on their player vendors/public vendors... If players want to sell for more and gouge their customers, then do it in face to face trading black market style...

17. CICI

CICI Avatar

Free market lol

18. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Mmmm, doesn't seem to be working... LoL...

19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

-How some have MW/Ench skills in the 120s or higher? These players must have endless resources and I don't think they gathered themselves or bought from others...
    A : Quests can give some good exp (especially once 10x exp re-activates). Otherwise,

-How a player can get to adv lvl 100 or higher in the shortest time frame? I think group play has all the advantages and single play is penalized...
    A : Control points can allow you to reach 8M experience or more per hour, a few control points and you are level 100! Yes, group play has an advantage for lower levels because higher levels can bring them and let them leach experience.

-How a player can get all the above? Play 24/7 or hire a surrogate to play for them or us a BOT to play while AFK?
    A : Playing enough. If you dedicate 1h per day to adventuring experience, and then an hour to crafting, you can reach decent levels and gain a nice bit of experience in both pools. 2hours per day is about what a casual player can fit in per day most of the time (or not per day, but his weekly average will result in 2 hours per day approx.)

SmokerKGB likes this.
  20. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

@Violet Ronso Thanks for the info...

What does Quest exp have to do with raising MW/Ench skills? I know you need the exp to gain in skill...

All you need is silver/gold ingots and less than 1 mil exp pool, of course you also need the crafted items to MW/Ench which take all the more resources to create, so along with massive amounts of exp points you also need massive amounts of resources, I'm just stating the obvious when saying these players did not gather such resources playing just 1 hr per day and to buy the amounts needed would take millions in gold(in our current economy), plus the time it takes to smelt, craft then MW/Ench even just 100 items of any kind, that takes dedicated playing and having no other interests in real life...

For a single player control points are fine if you don't control the area, since there are only 3 or 4 Hardened enemies, but once the control point is captured, it sends like 10 the 1st wave, 10+ 2nd wave, etc, so for a single player adv lvl 75 it can get overwhelming very fast... And what do you mean "higher levels can bring them and let them leach experience."? If this means the lower lvls can just stand around watching the "tank player" take down enemies AND gain exp for doing absolutely nothing, then this is why I think single players are penalized... I find gaining something for nothing quite boring and a cheat... Players should go out and earn their own exp and not "Leach" exp from others who actually do the work... Group play already has a built in advantage as in there are 5 or more players to 1 mob or group of mobs, So why have leaching?

Who has even 2 hrs per day, 7 days per week to play a game? The wealthy business owner who have employees doing all the work, while they just sit in their offices and play games or the players who have no life at all, live with parents pay no rent work no job and basically have only an online life/friends, that is very sad life, IMO...

Bedawyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.