Should Exploiters be...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xee, Apr 13, 2020.

?

Should Exploiters be Banned or other?

1. Ban them

42.2%
  2. Temp long term ban/roll back

19.5%
  3. Roll back

11.7%
  4. Reset / Roll back of stolen xp.

29.9%
  5. Other

27.9%
  6. Publish character names that exploit allowing players and markets to deal with them.

16.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Simply named a few coto traders I know of right now, I didnt care much about cotos when that happened. Btw not blaming anyone, at least not you guys, the business you guys have is a legitimate one, and one that could have been hurt by that exploit, a lot.

2. CICI

CICI Avatar

I think the game need to pay players COTO's to find bug's/Exploits on QA/main game (1st one to report it get the COTO Reward... can be 100 COTO's to 10k cotos
    will get a lot more players testing and reporting =)

3. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

How about "If you wish to know how to exploit just ask!" As the title.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  4. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Never ban a player. If your game is exploitable and you dont like players to exploit it, you fix it and leave the player there. Why keep the exploiter in? Hes probably your best bet to find other bugs. Get your friend close, but your enemy closer.
    I saw someone says 99% of other game ban directly and thats not true. I can name game portal which hold multiple multiplayer games that has a policy about game owner not banning any client from their portal clients. A client is a client, the client is always right (which mean you can disagree, but never go against them).

Also i just wanna point out that all games are exploitable. Even those that you think there is no exploit in, people just didnt try hard enough. People will try harder on games that are money related like this one. So yes, even if there is a increase of exploit lately its normal, the situation of the world, the increase of population on internet, its obvious its going to happen. Alot of other services are also getting hammered on internet.

Just be happy that the devs got award of it and fixed it fast. They did what they feeled right without loosing any client. Which is exactly the way to go.

Lesni, Ostvel and majoria70 like this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

"I Was Exploiting and All I Got Was This Lousy Title"

6. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

So marking/identifying individuals/accounts for a mass witch hunt? So online bullying can occur? That’s just as bad if not worse don’t you think?

I agree that exploitation should be punished, but those being punished should be given a fair trial. Naming and shaming and labelling is victimisation and as such could be treated as cyber-crime. It’s a fine line.

I also believe these exploits shouldn’t be allowed to occur in the first place. But certainly if an exploit if known and a player hasn’t reported that exploit and is knowingly exploiting they should be warned, and if found to be a repeat offender they should be banned.

7. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

Chris' begins his thought process...

[​IMG]

[!]

Yeah baby! Honeypot time!

[​IMG]

.... Meanwhile throughout Novia ....

[​IMG]

Rentier, necronut, CICI and 1 other person like this.
  8. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Honestly, just ban them. They can make a new account and start all over without all their pledge rewards etc., if they really want to.

OzzyOsbourne and arcdevil like this.
  9. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

This poll is not valid. Exploit is to large a range of topics and we do not have all the details. You are asking people to pass judgement with out details. This is between the players and the development team

Rentier, Echondas, Elgarion and 6 others like this.
  10. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

11. Katu

Katu Avatar

Finding a bug accidentally and exploiting are very different things.

If you find a bug, say, you crafted without losing materials. It needed a very special setup to happen.
    If you immediately start to test it out alone or with your friends, its called exploiting.
    If you ignore it ( maybe did not even notice it ) or send a bug report, its ok.

There is no grey line here.
    If someone, who is known in community, and is found using something to gain advantage, he/she obviously knew what was happening. Ban
    Abusing game mechanics to get an edge, ban.
    Accidentally discovering something and then group or guild starts to take advantage of it, ban all.

Saying that we don't have enought players to ban them, is one of the most ridiculous idea ever. Who the hell wants to play with cheaters??

Every game is exploitable. You can find cheats for most of the online games. Those cheats use bugs, to exploit crap out of the game. So, you suggest that cheating is ok?

It's not that "someone says 99% games ban". Thats how it is. Thats how world works and certainly how games work.
    Cheating is cheating, Exploiting is cheating. Cheating gets you banned, thus, exploiting gets you banned.

Being good at bug hunting ( we have QA ) and exploiting bugs are not the same thing.

So, just no. @Chris I suggest you check out this guy and his friends /nojoke

12. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @Girlsname
    Chris said this in last Fridays stream. The net patch will have a quick on/off so if someone does find and use an exploit he can lock it down quickly and fix it. I do agree that anyone that unintentionally uses what is later called an exploit is not at fault. Just like @Titania Xylia demonstrated be open and honest about what is happening. I can definitely see that creating an alt on same account to quickly gain exp and then kill and do again is not a normal way to gain exp. Just like having several accounts and have then follow you into battle but stand at a safe distance would not be a normal way of leveling.

13. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings again @Girlsname
    I went back thru the live stream and found Chris talking about turning on the 10X exp and being able to turn it off. It was at 1:16:00

14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Rollback and Temp ban (duration depending on the exploit).
    And Name and Shame? Are you serious? LoL. I know the witchhunt nonsense has a bit of a comeback nowadays but that's a bit over the top.

15. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

That is your opinion. Some of us like that idea. Your 1 vote is the same as mine. You put it in the slot you like, I/others will put in the one we do.

arcdevil likes this.
  16. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

They were not. Its a fairy tails that they did not knew situation at that moment. If they did not close purchase of COTOs that day, then they should be punished (not a ban, but smth should be). Same with ore purchasers that constantly buy botted ore.
    In real life if I purchasing goods which was stolen (and you know it) then legal actions would come against me. Same should be here.

OzzyOsbourne and arcdevil like this.
  17. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

This assumes that the COTO vendors didn't report it and that they did not turn in the COTOs/gold to the devs.

In the case of Phil's exchange, COTOs with value (from drops) are never sold on the vendors. It's been a policy I've had in place since day one. Mostly to prevent these kinds of issues.

Buy orders are filled for these drop COTOs at a fairly consistent rate as players gather them while adventuring. When there was a noticeable spike in these COTOs a report was sent to support. While they investigated, these COTOs continued to come in and were set aside as normal. Once it was clear that the bulk of these were from an exploit, they were all turned over to the devs.

18. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Coto exploit went on for months before it was shutdown . It kept the coto market at a ridiculous low price and forced alot of honest players who got their crowns the legit way to sell em at a loss.... alot of cash was lost during that period . Some of the perpetrators got a few months ban from the game ..they are now with us again . In my view that was the most serious ''breach'' we ever had ingame . Those who exploited made loads of cash at the detriment of the whole gaming community who lost alot. By my estimate probably 50k usd was gained by people who used this exploit ...if not more .

My vote is on ban ...when it comes to exploits like the one i mentioned . No ban for exploits that dont impact the economy . And as someone else already suggested .... 10k crowns rewards for people who report exploits .

Violet Ronso likes this.
  19. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Nice reasoning. And yeah check me up and my friend, not like i played much past year. Been about 30 days i didnt log in. And Chris know alot about how much i like to cheat.

20. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Careful what you wish for people. Even with Multiple votes allowed and people having Alt characters to vote, this poll has under 200 votes. Ban a few people and who will remain to play? Incentivize testing and many of these "exploits" will disappear. Catnip could learn from Apple and call their mistakes "features" and demonstrate how to properly use the new feature.

FYI: I haven't actively played SOTA in months and didn't even know about this "exploit" until reading it on the forums. I'm not trying to cover for personal gain.

Gorthyn, Cordelayne and CatherineRose like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.