1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

inactive Player Owned Town expired

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by CICI, Apr 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

If the money spent to own a POT is 100% refunded then 100% remove them after a period of inactivity. Otherwise, nope.

2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Here is a solution that that would keep the towns but help those who want to avoid dead towns more easily do that. Right now the town graphic on the overland map is based on population, right? What if the town graphic on the overlap map is changed to represent town owner log-in activity? Owner log in within the calendar quarter - full scale town image. No owner log for three months - dilapidated town No owner log in for a year, town ruins graphic.

3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Whoa wait. So If I want my POT money back I just let it sit dormant and Catnip will remove it and give me all of my money back? Ponders...

Drilikath likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What if someone else also lives in the town?

5. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

These are player-owned towns. This would be an incentive for the governor to stick around for their people. If the governor is AWOL for a year and the town falls into ruins (overland icon), I'd say so be it. Folks can live there, but if they do not like their town having a ruins icon they can move on to an actively governed town. If that sounds too draconian (and perhaps it does), then the overland icon could be based on the activity of 'kindred' and 'trustees' too.

6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

That seems logical enough, from one perspective. However, the idea of POTs was to allow players to add game content. Not add vacant scenes. I do not believe the developer intended to have multiple vacant POTs populating the countryside for new players to see and think that the game world is empty or incomplete. Nor do I believe that in buying a POT that we entered into a contract with the developer that stated the POT would remain active forever, even if when we never showed up and the town was completely vacant for years. At some point the devs have to decide, for the good of the game, that vacant POTs are a detriment to perspective new players have about the game. So I expect that, eventually, they will remove vacant POTs regardless of payment. If you want to have an active POT on the map, its best to play the game. I dont expect vacant POTs to be turned off without undue notice and time though.

7. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

SORRY, When I bought this No one said I ever had to play the game/login/maintain or do anything I did not want with this. Did you buy one/upgrade to this size? I did. If I want an empty run down ruined POT my choice. No TOS/Agreements says I had to be active ever. I already hate this game/community. You guys are making it even worse.
    [​IMG]

Jikininki likes this.
  8. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

I've spent plenty of time happily exploring "abandoned" POTs. And some time living in them. And even time making up my own backstories for them. I'd much rather spend time in an "abandoned" POT than one full of people and garish mish-mashed decor. And expecting people who would prefer a quieter hometown to live in much more expensive PRTs is just yet another way to penalize people who have low-end computers or who simply want a more peaceful, relaxing experience out of a game world, rather than looking for a noisy party scene.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Jikininki and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Do you have any idea how much these pots can potentially cost? As I said before it is not up to us to make this call. Yes many believed in the potential of this game to spend 10k, 20k, and probably more. I'm not saying favoritism but we have a game because of those purchases and no one has the right to take that town down. Why be so fussy and sure make the pot icon show a ghost town if no one lives there or hasn't been there after a while. Visiting the game would refresh the icon, but still nothing to touch that town being there. Over world map access pots were a privilege paid for with a lot of real cash as were they all.

10. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I had an idea awhile back where players could join NPC guilds or receive quests from NPC's and it would have players scouring the overland map to find rare npc mobs (dynamic roaming NPC encounters) or maybe bandit camps, npc bounties etc.. POT governors could opt-in or out of the system to control the amount of quest driven activity within their towns. This would give more reasons for players to inhabit POT's and PRT's .. even the vacant ones.

Perhaps if the POT has an inactive Governor but the town still has residents, the residents that are in the town, after a certain period of time, can elect an 'Interim Steward' with limited powers that would allow them to make minor changes to the POT during the governor's absence. This would take some coding.. but what I was thinking is that the interim steward could add or move objects around in the POT that are deemed 'areas of interest' and also a certain distance around the perimeter of the Lots currently owned by the town Residents who elected the Interim Steward. This would only affect the Lots of the residents who elected the interim steward, and this interim steward would only be electable if:

1. The Governor has been inactive for an extended period of time, which enables the Interim Steward feature unless specifically disabled by the Governor.

2. The existing Stewards of the town have been inactive for an extended period of time.

After the object has been placed (lets say a Street lamp) then the Lot owner can move the street lamp within the range of the interim steward's perimeter, these objects would be 'permanent.'

It would be nice if the Interim Steward also had the ability to place housing Lot markers to some extent, and temporary NPC buildings and temporary NPC's in a limited fashion, for the purpose of player events and to accommodate growth of the POT and PRT. Adding a temporary village, town, or city lot marker and a NPC Fishing Shop and Fishing Merchant near a Lake in a POT is an example, and perhaps these types of items placed by the Interim Steward can only exist for 12 hrs and so many times per month.

So what happens if the Governor comes back? The Governor has several choices to piss everyone off, or make people happy. The items placed near the town Resident's housing Lots would be drawing from the POT's object placement budget based on the size of the POT. Because these objects are owned by another player, the Governor can kick the object back to the Interim Steward's bank (frees up the object from the POT object placement allotment), or they can choose to reimburse the Interim Steward by purchasing the object in gold Crowns..? Not sure how exploitable this might be...? If the Governor purchases the object (in this case a street lamp) it would remain where it is, and because the object has been purchased for the base value in the crown store by the Governor the Interim Steward would get the street lamp refunded to their bank account. Other items an Interim Steward might place are Ballot Boxes (not an existing item in game, but it would be used for voting), Bulletin Boards, Fountains, NPC Town Teleporters, and other POT type objects.

The Governor would be able to track all of the objects that have been placed by the Interim Steward - including temporary buildings and NPC's. The Governor would also be able to kick all of the objects placed by the Interim Steward back to the player's bank at once, and deactivate the Interim Steward feature all together. Or, the Governor could promote the Interim Steward by assigning more Steward-like powers in a granular way, or simply making that player a normal Steward of the town. But it would be nice if the Governor could control what the powers of the Steward are.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Witcheypoo and Bedawyn like this.
  11. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Not speaking as a governor here, since it will be ages before I could afford that, although it's on the (very) long-term wish list. But I AM someone whose health issues frequently make me drop off the face of the earth for several months at a time. I've had plenty of public projects that I really cared about, invested a lot of time and energy in, AND I still ended up abandoning them for months, sometimes years, sometimes even permanently. My lack of presence doesn't mean I don't care about the project or still want its users to be happy, it's just means I'm dealing with real-life issues that have to take priority.

From that perspective, if I WERE a governor, I would love @Ancev's suggestion above. In fact, assuming I had that much money in the first place, I'd feel a lot happier about spending it on a game if I knew there was a backup plan like that in place, so that the project wouldn't be abandoned completely the next time I drop off the face of the earth.

Witcheypoo, Ancev and Vaiden Luro like this.
  12. Hemnu Lightbringer

Hemnu Lightbringer Avatar

I agree with CICI if they're inactive remove the towns from the map. they should not be immune to logging in just because its a POT its still property just like a lot just on a grander scale, keep them linked to their accounts so if they decide to come back they can place the town again. If anything this would improve the game not bring it down as new players would get a better impression by not seeing vacant towns as far as the eye can see making the game seem vacant when its not.

CICI likes this.
  13. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Totally disagree. Folks knew they had to login to keep their lot active. No such statement was made about PoTs. I just love how folks want to legislate how people use the items they paid for.

Jikininki, Cyin, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  14. Hemnu Lightbringer

Many people paid for items like lots look at the LOTM castle lots yet they still have to log in, if they don't want to play they can sell their POTs.

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

No.

I haven't seen my governor since launch. We are not the most vibrant town in the game, but there's about thirty residents. We have a nice little community. Don't wreck it for your arbitrary reasons.

16. Hemnu Lightbringer

As stated...."People choose lots in POTs at their own peril, and are subject to the whim of the owner. Sale of the POT, Change of Biome, Change of POT location or reorganization is all part of it.
    Too many unused POTs lingering. This could free up space for a more active community in a given location.
    Same could be said for unused home and lots in NPC Towns, but that is another discussion. ~Cristiano"....This has always been true and as far as there being no such statement for POT owners having to log in read the terms of service and the license agreement states that it can be amended at anytime.

CICI likes this.
  17. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

You do know LOTM login time is about a year right. If you don't like the overland image that shows, basically, what's happening in that PoT, don't go in. Simple

Cyin likes this.
  18. Hemnu Lightbringer

yes I do also and I agreed with the 24 month login for POTs, 2 years is plenty of time to log in, what if said owner of the POT passes away then what it stays inactive forever...

CICI likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The difference between claiming a lot and owning a pot is that you don't pay craploads of real money to claim a lot. If I decide not to log in then my POT had better damn well remain right where I left it because I paid for that!

Jikininki and Cyin like this.
  20. Hemnu Lightbringer

once again what happens if the owner passes away in real life? as is with no login stipulation said POT could remain in the game forever vacant as many even have them locked so no one can place a plot there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.