About star and planets effecting crafting.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mac2, Apr 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wilfred

Wilfred Avatar

From today's Twitch stream:

At about 00:52:17 Starr said:
    Here's a good one. Cause I know that we've done, we've at least got one area quest type thing that's affected by it, but John Markus asks: "How does in game astronomy currently affect the game play?", so...

Chris said:
    Maybe you know these things Starr.

Starr: What?

Chris: Do you know? That's one of the one's that people keep asking me, and I've been looking through the code. I'm trying to take over some of the crafting stuff and clean up the crafting stuff, and I've been working through that code, but I keep getting the question of "How does astronomy affect the crafting results?".

Starr: Well, nothing yet, for crafting, but...

Chris: Haha!

Starr: Right.

Chris: That's what I had seen.

Starr: Right, nothing yet, but that was always the plan. But the, my understanding, doesn't one scene, isn't one scene tied to like time of day, like for...

Sannio: Lost Vale.

Starr: Lost Vale.

Chris: Oh, Lost Vale is, yeah.

Elgarion: Got the sieges, that's all about astronomy.

Chris: Yeah, they're wondering about the time, like...

Elgarion: Siege schedule.

Chris: Yeah, time of year and stuff like that, like the monthly stuff, so...

Starr: But none, but right now nothing yet is affected by like the position of the actual heavenly bodies, but that was always the plan.

Chris: Yeah.

Sannio: Yes, there's also schedules for NPCs. You know sometimes NPCs go to sleep at certain times. So smaller bit, but kind of related.

Starr: Yep.

Friday haitcut stream with Chris, Elgarion, Maxine Sannio, and STARR!
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/601576271

Anpu, Sorgin Txakal, Rentier and 3 others like this.
  2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Is it petty and immature to quote yourself?

"I'm 99.9999% certain the system would be far too complex to implement into SOTA. We can't even get in game maps to work right after so many years. Reality is just a poorly coded crafting RNG." Greyfox 4/12/2020

Sorry for being petty and immature.

3. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Haha Sannio trying to spin NPC's sleeping as controlled by celestial bodies' position in the sky. I mean.... Technically, but still funny.

4. Toular

Toular Avatar

Hmmm .. crafting bonus for celestial position:
    blacksmith.skill.celestialBonus = sin( celestialBodies.planets.gigglebath.orbitalPosition + 1.332461 ) + 1.0

(gigglebath is the name of the planet associated with blacksmithing and was pulled out of the air. I know the planets have names, but I could not find them)

This assumes the position of the planets is in radians and the 1.332461 is an arbitrary number for where is needs to be in the sky to provide a maximum bonus.
    The "+1" is so there is never a penalty, only a bonus.

Certainly would not be difficult to add.

Note that this bonus could be applied to anything crafting-related ... A simple skill bonus, exceptional chance bonus, masterwork success bonus, masterwork power bonus. Whatever.

Not saying I actually want this, but the role-player in me certainly does.

Numa likes this.
  5. Numa

Numa Avatar

The really funny thing would be that Chris finds out that the astronomy stuff has been built-in after all into the crafting mechanics. And that people who both like or dislike the concept have been living with it unknowingly for years :)

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Elves must've sneaked in during the night and wrote that code.

Elgarion, Anpu and Mishra like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.