Titles...seeing Red...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Prada, Apr 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Link them to the forums; you could get titles for how many likes you've received. (And of course, the title "Moderated" if you've ever had a post deleted...)

Violet Ronso and Prada like this.
  2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Holy! That is some list Elgarion put together. Great work on that.

As for Prada's opening post, it should be said that Portalarium kept its promises. The Royal titles (seen in red) were offered as small incentives to early backers who helped kickstart the game by purchasing property deeds and packages early on. Its also fair to say that this it was long advertised here that those would sunset. All promises were kept, so it is good as is from that perspective.

That said, Prada has a great point. Is there room to add 'non military' progression titles to the game, like early backers were able to achieve? I think so. Maybe even the previous titles. I'd be ok being a Royal Duke or something if that meant allowing others to be a Duke or equal Marquis title still by supporting the game. That kind of thing. It is still a good idea to allow those who want to support the game for perks to support the game!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Boris Mondragon, Elgarion and Prada like this.
  3. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I LOVE the idea of GM titles and have advocated for them for years! It's high time to reward players for playing the game and these titles will go millions of miles towards our character development and RP practices! Thank you @Elgarion

[​IMG]

Boris Mondragon and Prada like this.
  4. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Hey, it's probably the only achievement-based title I'd ever earn! :)

I can't understand the mindset that would say "I'm not going to play this otherwise fun game because somebody else paid for some words over their head years before I discovered the game's existence, and I don't get to have the same words." That's just... yeah, whatever. That said, it would be nice if some of the more basic ones like Lady and Knight were earnable in game. Give the pledge backers their titles automatically, let more recent players work for them. I'd love to have some way to access the Lady and Noble Citizen titles. But letting me do so isn't worth further annoying the pledge backers who are still around. They're just words; if a player isn't roleplaying it, I couldn't care less what title they have over their head. (Other than "governor," which is actually functional. And since "governess" actually means something entirely different, that had sure better not be one of the options!)

Boris Mondragon and Prada like this.
  5. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I would like to promote this to very serious suggestion ^.^

Violet Ronso and Prada like this.
  6. Urwendor

Urwendor Avatar

If you would be able to earn a title though grandmastering a skill, then you should be able to pick a title from a list of titles in that category. and perhaps when you GM next time in the same tree ... you should be able to choose some cross-earned titles.

Btw. Give Shimizu the title "Crazy Cat Lady" since she seems to be one!

7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I've added these to the Titles page on SotAwiki. Thanks!

Rentier, Anpu and Prada like this.
  8. Ragnarr Lodbrok

Ragnarr Lodbrok Avatar

Can you add a few more Viking related.. I seen Berserker... How about Chieftain and Jarl . And possibly Dane?

9. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Heck ya, I'm eager to start collecting info on title suggestions, but not quite yet. When the time comes, I'll start a thread and share it with Sannio so he'll have community ideas to pick from. Viking ones are definitely must have/low hanging fruit type suggestions for sure. We have a Viking theme available, so ya!

10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Viking titles could easily be divided into Norgard and Barbarian versions. Ulfheim and Utheim could award barbarian versions for completing tiers.

11. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Don't worry too much about the titles over their heads. One day ships will move and fight and then all those with those fancy titles will run to the outhouse when they see a certain Pirate and his galleon open up the port-holes aimed at their docks and buildings *grins*. R/Boris/El Pirata.

12. Loki the Cat

Loki the Cat Avatar

@kaeshiva
    Just for info a Governor is a non gendered title for an elected official or department head while governess is a female teacher or caretaker of children.
    So as a female owner of a POT Governor would be the appropriate title.

13. Loki the Cat

Loki the Cat Avatar

So do these titles do anything or are they just cosmetic?
    I ask because I never recived my 3 month title and only really care if they carry some tangible benefit if they are simply cosmetic then I see no reason to waste the time getting it fixed

14. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

It's not a matter of fixing anything. It's a low-effort way the devs can enhance the game tremendously and has been conspicuously missing from the game for too long if it wishes to be a "spiritual successor" to UO.

Prada likes this.
  15. Loki the Cat

Loki the Cat Avatar

I dont remember ever getting any titles in UO other than maybe master this master of that type ones.

16. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

That is literally all there is to it! People just want cosmetics, and titles is an easy cosmetic to add, that has been asked for years, and this is finally one thread that got dev attention (granted Elgarion gives all threads attention now that he is Community Manager but he actually responds too!). There is no actual benefit, it is simply a stylistic choice much like patterns

17. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

Exactly this. They are just flair. I made a point a long time ago to not use any of the titles I have available.

18. Net

Net Avatar

So, how do we get Sage title?

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Finish an outskirts main quest (you can tell when you have finished one when you get a banner). If you finished them a long time ago, just speak to each of the leaders of an outskirts area. All 3 now give a title (Caregiver, Sage and Sentinel). I think you only need to say help to them.

20. Net

Net Avatar

Thanks!
    EDIT: Needed to tlak about refugees with Alberic in Bloodriver outskirts
    Got Caregiver automatically from Captain Kinsey in Solace Bridge Outskirts
    Got Sentinel after saying Hello to Captain Burnes in Highvale Outskirts

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Rentier, Siili, Prada and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.