Quest XP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, May 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charon

Charon Avatar

Welp .. guess I won't be doing any quests until those changes are made which honestly is kind of a bummer. I completed several quests during the 20x period that I just hadn't bothered with and it turned out they were fun. I'm sure there's a bunch of others that I skipped over but I'll wait till @Sannio has made a pass on them.

It's kind of sad and not sure what it says about me and/or the game that I'll choose to skip quests that might be entertaining just because the rewards are so poor relative to the time to complete them. It'd be nice if they were worth doing AND entertaining.

Gravidy and Aldo like this.
  2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I've been working on quest reward changes. A big goal is for these rewards to increase for quests that challenge players with higher-tier threats.

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

What about time involved? That was generally the reason they weren't worth doing.

Witcheypoo, Gravidy, Barugon and 3 others like this.
  4. Charon

Charon Avatar

This.

Difficulty should play a part in determining the reward but time is equally important. If I can go do something else and get greater rewards doing that why would I spend my time doing something that isn't as rewarding? That applies not only to quests but scenes in general.

I'm not a min/maxxer by any stretch but my play time is limited so if I have an hour or 2 to play I'm going to go do whatever is the most rewarding with that time. My definition of rewarding changes day to day. Most of the time it's experience, which IMO, is the most valuable commodity in the game but other days I'll have a goal and others I just want a shot at a new shiney. Ultimately, for me anyway, the juice has to be worth the squeeze or why bother.

Witcheypoo, Sannio and Bedawyn like this.
  5. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I'll be making some adjustments for scope, repeatables, dailies, no combat required, and other factors. And afetr the big implementation, it'll be an ongoing process where I continue reviewing specific quests and making sure they have appropriate rewards.

This is one of the most beautiful phrases I have ever heard in my life.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

This sounds great! Will you be putting this on the QA server, and make a post for us to test it fully, and make sure it's working properly before it’s added to live?

7. Asbury Baker

Asbury Baker Avatar

Is the game tied to granting the same amount of adventuring and producer XP per quest? Those of us who ran through most quests twice early on for testing are out 72 to 75 million producer XP with a quest reset, putting us well behind new players or new alts which ran the quests in the past few weeks. Without spending thousands of hours mining and scavenging, there's no way for us to catch up to a new player's 3 days of questing, other than to create a host of "crafting alts." That seems like a glaring issue.

If you examine how many hours my toon Alden has spent in the mines, realize he's producer level 91, and that any new player would be at producer level 94 or 95 after running the quests, you'll see the problem. How can those dedicated testers reach the same 72 to 75 million crafting XP?

Artomus Sumotra and Drilikath like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I hope so.

9. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I would certainly hope so.

10. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I asked about this in another thread. It might of come off as a complaint, But I genuinely wanted to know how they felt about it. Because as you pointed out, I was only producer 87 or so myself because of how much time/effort it took to get the xp harvesting. New players or alts are all higher.

Violet Ronso and Artomus Sumotra like this.
  11. Charon

Charon Avatar

Think I'm 92ish in crafting so I'm a LONG ways off of the higher level crafters but tbh I'm not bothered by it. Having the skill points and applying those skill points isn't the same thing. Now if just because I had 70M crafting xp I was automagically a level 120ish enchanter or masterworker then I'd be pissed but those folks have a LOT of mining, skinning and harvesting in their future before they can turn those skill points into anything productive.

Just thinking about mining all the gold and silver required to apply those skill points makes me want a drink.

12. Asbury Baker

Asbury Baker Avatar

It is a complaint, and it is legitimate. You can't make up the difference without investing thousands of hours. You got the short end of the stick, or punished, for doing the right thing. Since the poor implementation of producer/quest XP is a done deal (the bad implementation/mistake can't be undone), the devs have to move on quickly, hopefully learning from this mistake as they fix producer XP. I suppose the devs could choose to award a producer XP bump for people who completed the second set of quests in the past, bringing them up to parity with new toons, but I'm sure someone can think of a reason not to do that. It would be nice to see a "sorry, bro" if not a full mea culpa regarding shorting old timers on the producer XP.

Drilikath likes this.
  13. Asbury Baker

Asbury Baker Avatar

The higher level of the new toons and large XP pool means they use less gold/silver to level up. So you have to mine or buy more than they do to level up your skills.

Drilikath likes this.
  14. Charon

Charon Avatar

That's the kind of the point though. The people you might have a legitimate beef with are those that have already gotten to a decent level and then chose to reset their quests. Those people did get a pretty massive infusion of xp and gained a pretty significant advantage.

Personally, I'm not keeping score and I don't view crafting as a means to make IGG. I craft because I like using gear I've made and as long as I can make gear that I consider "good" then what anyone else does it kind of immaterial to me.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  15. Asbury Baker

Asbury Baker Avatar

Bear with me here, if you will. Any new player/toon who ran the quests twice during 10/20x quest producer XP can increase their producer skills using less raw resources than, say a level 87 or 90 producer. Because they have a larger pool and a higher producer level, more XP is transferred per resource consumed. While the new tool will need to splurge to level up the skills initially, far less resources will be required due to the transfer mechanism, and the long-time player will be at a distinct ongoing disadvantage, as they will constantly need to use more resources than the new player/toon to transfer the same amount of XP into a skill.

I hear you that you're happy crafting your own gear in a bubble. I respect that, I simply do not have the same level of contentedness.

Drilikath likes this.
  16. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

I hear you but I can't help but say more power to anyone who took advantage of the xp gains during the 2x/10x period. The real advantage in this game is adventure level. With a high adv lvl you can make 100k-300k igg per hour if you are set to it; more if you get rng on your side. If you got high adv lvl and 100 crafting skills you can make sufficient gear to make your gold. I'm speaking for pve only.

17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Yup, Im a crafter, and now Im banished once again to the land of no exp.

Also, since shared exp is gone, my crafters that have GM refining/producing skills but zero gathering skills are more or less unable to earn exp.

Im hoping for more waves of crafting updates, and specifically for improvements that dont require you to level every single skill at once :)

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Barugon likes this.
  18. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Same here.

Barugon likes this.
  19. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

While you're at it can you fix all the brokeness and flesh out the mainline. I fear anyone starting that as a newbie is going to hit one of the many bugs, lack of storytelling, or other issues and just give the rest a pass. Ch.2 matters little if the new players aren't going to get past Ch.1.

Heck, I know an old player who decided to run it with a freshly created alt and was ready to rage-quit before he finished.

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Here's what I got for the trollnails

[​IMG]

Here's what I got for killing 18 siege engineers (which is way harder than the two trolls)

[​IMG]

Here's what I got for the love letters (which is excruciatingly un-fun because of all the ghosts)

[​IMG]

For the rune bag

[​IMG]

All in all. not worth my time.

Athanil and Dhanas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.