Cracking the code, the Bunker C scroll that allowed me to finally decipher coded messages!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Net, May 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Net

Net Avatar

Major (or minor, depending on your view) spoilers below, so if you want to discover the coded messages yourself and crack the code, do not read further and good luck!

This code bothered me literally for years, I and some other players discovered it years ago, but no one could crack it from the single note.
    Yesterday, a friend took me to Bunker C, a promising lava fishing scene, and I discovered more notes with this code, and one among them was not coded entirely... that changed everything I was finally able to crack the code. Especially because part of the message was in a plain text and large portion of it was very repetitive.
    Still this nasty substitution code has some characters coded by one character and others by combination of two, it is very hard to do the substitution without messing up. And I have not figured out what is coded by 0.

Anyway, excuse the long rant, I am not sure if I am the first to crack this code, but being able to figure out this fiendish puzzle and finally beat it made me happier than chest full of gold and bunch of xp. It took me a long time and bit of luck to succeed:) Then it all fit together so nicely I just knew I am on the right track.

[​IMG]

MY GREATEST LOVE,

LEAVE PORT CRUCIBLE NOW FOR BUNKER C.

IN THE BUNKER,WE WILL SURVIVE FOR MANY YEARS, PERHAPS DECADES, WHILE THE WORLD ABOVE BURNS.

I AM AFRAID FOR THOSE OUTSIDE OUR SHELTERS. T PRAY THEIR CHILDREN REMEMBER0 THE WORLD FROM BEFORE THIS CATACLYSM.

YOURS FOREVER

E

[​IMG]

ALL BUNKERS ARE FULLY STOCKED AND CAN SUSTAIN A FULL COMPLEMENT FOR YEARS.

HOWEVER, EACH BUNKER IS OVER CAPACITY.

NO MORE REFUGEES ARE ALLOWED ENTRY.00.

ALL BUNKERS ARE ORDERED TO BE LOCKED.

MAY THE STARS GUIDE US.

J. CALMENT
    HIGH COMMANDER
    BUNKER D
    SENET

And finally a scroll, that made it all possible. The Rosetta stone of Novia, the Bunker C scroll

[​IMG]

I AM ALONE

SENET failed to endure

THEY ARE ALL GONE

I AM ALL ALONE

they are all gone THEY ARE ALL GONE

I AM ALL ALONE

ALL ALONE

ALL GONE

I AM ALONE

ALL GONE
    I AM GONE
    GONE

Code:
    A B C D E F G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z    .  ,  ?
    / | \ - > < /. |. \. -. >. <. /: |: \: -: >: <: /0 |0 \0 -0 >0 <0 /8 |8 . .. .: 0
          –

notes:
    I have not seen Q, X, Z in any texts yet, but I am sure the coding is right.
    The D (and possibly J, P, and V) is coded by hyphens of various length (-, –) , that was a nasty surprise.
    The space is coded by period (.).
    I have not deciphered what (0) codes for It does not code for question mark.
    All the characters seem to be separated by spaces in the scrolls.

Retlaw, Royou, Rinaldi and 8 others like this.
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Awesome job!!

Rinaldi and Net like this.
  3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

single previous note? there are several.

Rinaldi and Net like this.
  4. Net

Net Avatar

That was back in the day we found the first one:)
    I was not really following these lately, thanks for the link.

Rinaldi likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Has anyone figured out how numbers are coded? From this message:
    ...it appears that the letter cypher is rotating. This is "H" encoded, and signed by Senet, so "|8" is "S" and "/" is "T", which means they don't rotate through numbers as well. I'm assuming it is a separate set of characters, but shifted the same as the letters (or, alternatively, are fixed replacements similar to the space/period/comma set). Which notes do we know contain numeric characters?

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I forget the specifics, but the list of letters at the top is always missing one letter, and that's the key for shifting the cypher. I think the link I posted above has the details in it somewhere.

[Edit] Oh wait, the numbers. Sorry, no clue on that. answer may be in the link, but I don't recall.

8. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

This post in the puzzle thread by @Daxxe Diggler contains links to a spreadsheet that has the complete cipher for letters, spaces, and some punctuation (including how the cipher rotates).
    The other google doc contains info on the cipher for the numbers (see the last 2 pages), although it is just a guess since so few numbers have shown up in the notes.

9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Ah, I missed the very end of that document (I stopped when it got into the Game, which I didnt see as related). Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.