Players need excessive experience? Or is the game lacking stepped Staged growth goals?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NEILMHK, May 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loki the Cat

Loki the Cat Avatar

Well if you ever see me in game my toons are Astrithr Amsel and Loki the Cat both of which reside in Verantis sanctuary (sp?) at the back of the market district.

And thanks for all the Info across the posts, honestly 75% of the people I meet in game, in wilds, are either stealing loot or following me around endlessly challenging me to a dual while never saying a word. Meanwhile everyone I have talked to in my town or through post have been friendly as hell and helpful so I wasn't sure which group lived here on the forums, luckily you ,ragnarr, and most of the others were firmly in that second group.

I also found the ingame habit of people sending friend requests to me with out ever talking to me or interacting with me at all a disturbing omen of what I might find here so I have avoided posting anything at all. In most games unsolicited blind friend requests are considered rude as hell and will get you ostracized from the general community but it would seem that doesn't apply in this game and while it straight out gives me the creeps I have learned to bow to the new culture and now have a list of people I don't know and have never spoke to.
    If nothing else I guess Its a way to get places you have never been and more of a use for teleport to friend scrolls.

Anyway got to get to work
    Thank you for your time

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Hahaha! Yes, in fact, a few months ago or so, there were no teleport to zone scrolls, so people would use each other as teleportation markers. Since the addition of teleport to zone scrolls, people just did not lose their habit!

And one of the greatest parts of this game is its community, many others, just like me, spend hours on these forums answering questions, so feel free to ask away whenever you have one!

Elrond, NEILMHK and Boris Mondragon like this.
  3. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

The Endless Cycle, Gain XP -> Use XP in Skill -> Character becomes strong -> Can Solo high level tier mobs like a boss -> Game gets easy -> Atos Nerfs Skills -> Atos Nerfs Skills again -> Mobs are too strong -> Grind for more XP -> Put XP in skills to level skills higher to solo mobs again -> Atos Nerfs Skills -> Atos Nerfs Skills again.........The Endless cycle......Until the game gets boring.

Well back to Star Trek Online.

4. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

To the OP; I feel your pain brother, been playing since May 2016 and the thrill is waning.

Just have to ask oneself a simple question. Why spent countless hours to grind/raise skill levels just to fight the next mob @Chris creates, clear the next dungeon or get the next drop. What can push you to remain focused on a game goal?

Only one answer that I can think of and that is world domination to a degree. Either factions/Guild Wars scenarios or others I have already suggested. Either add good PvP with worthwhile goals and rewards to motivate or watch people get bored and leave eventually for a new thrill. Maybe the devs start scheduled town invasions, castle sieges, ship battles or something along those lines.

Crafting took it in the shorts with the inclusion of the Xen/Envy bows and bandit leather gear. I raised blacksmithing high enough to make my own stuff and tip one of my friends enough for them to MW/Enchant them. Being dual swords heavy armor build I go through armor and weapons faster than anybody else. Only real thrill is to body slam and kill some mob before it knows what just carved it up.

The lights of this game are flickering now, I don’t waste time on deco or dancing, I am here to kill and dominate. Wake me up when this can happen and the Pirate will stir up some fights as he has done before. R/Boris/El Pirata

Elrond, NEILMHK, Xiones and 2 others like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hey hello and welcome. Just a piece of history for you. So before teleport to zone scrolls we had limited ways of getting to a zone we wanted to go to or return to. We could walk the map trying to figure out where it was or we could see if anyone on our friends list was at that area to teleport to. Due to many complaints about friends lists being our main teleport to an area the devs created the teleport to zone scrolls. This scroll acts like a mark scroll and marks areas you have visited. You may know this already but just some history for anyone who may not have known. I will still except all friends requests as I choose to not make it mean anything but others of course can feel like they feel which is individuality. Perhaps one day we could get a decline all friends requests for you and then you could friend who you like well with their permission of course ;)

NEILMHK likes this.
  6. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

I don't mind the grind when it is rewarding, but what good is it to grind skills for world domination, only to have them nerfed later on and then call the nerf "balancing them game". The Skills were already balanced. The way I see it the so called nerf is there way to try keep the longevity of the game. Like I said it is an Endless Cycle, and it gets tiresome.

Don't get me started on Crafting. Crafting died when they the started to introduce Artifacts, and reduce the amount of materials you can obtain when harvesting, and the big contribution to the death of Crafting was using Cotos to fully repair your Gear.

::Jumps off Soap Box::

Back to The Division 2.

NEILMHK and Boris Mondragon like this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Hey, a fellow resident! Maybe I'll see you around town this weekend.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    NEILMHK likes this.
  8. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

'
    Hi neighbor! I also live in Veritas Sanctuary! See you around :)

As for the OP.... Just play the game to have fun and enjoy yourself. Everyone has their own interests in the game. For many people it is a way to spend their time doing something that doesn't require a lot of attention. For others, it's primarily social, which is an especially good thing at the moment.

It is the business of the developers to try to follow the interests of as many players as they deem worth the effort. Regardless, though, the game remains more or less the same, which is not such a bad thing if you like it the way it is.

9. eli

eli Avatar

Yup. Ignoring or misunderstanding player psychology is the biggest failure of this project.

10. NEILMHK

NEILMHK Avatar

Speaking of friends, I sincerely hope to know everyone in the game, and I hope that they can be connected to each other in the world. Unfortunately, I found that a few friends I didn't know didn't intend to do this, so I could only remove strangers who were hiding them. Should designers hide players who hide themselves from being seen by others? OK ... I know this doesn't seem too generous.:rolleyes:

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  11. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Sure, its 5 episodes long which theoretically will span 5ish or so years but if people stop before episode 2 even launches (which to be frank, I am more off this game than on it at this point) than they need to reevaluate their approach. I will never get behind the "excuse" that they "are a small team" I have managed small teams and with the right mentality "small teams" can accomplish great things. The wrong mentality will lead small teams to lean on this as an excuse for not achieving. My two cents. :)

12. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

whats the journey exactly??? slogging through 2 or 3 zones to continually grind experience because at the higher levels there are only a few places to run where the experience gain is reasonableish... That's my experience

Gorthyn likes this.
  13. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

And that is the problem. There is NOTHING end game for people who reach those levels and this notion to "just relax and have fun" is BS. you people can't dump your idea of fun onto us. Its great that for you you've been playing 4 years and haven't even broke adventure level 100 yet but that kind of play style would absolutely kill me and many others. The fact that they never thought so far into the future to understand that many of us would indeed out level most of the content probably well before episode 2 release and not came up with stuff for us is a serious problem and then there is the problem of reward.... zero rewards, crap loot. I don't even look forward to the loot drops and that to is a problem. I keep saying this, the game has great potential and the story element is very intriguing but they just are not capitalizing on a great idea....

Vaiden Luro, Violet Ronso and Gorthyn like this.
  14. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I disagree with this. there are MANY MMO's I play where you are indeed "hunting experience" but the hunt is exciting. there are achievements and goals and all sorts of things that keep you occupied so while your "hunting experience" it doesn't feel like you are. this game "feels" like a job where the pay check is the experience and that's a problem.
    I understand what is being said. there are no goals or achievements, or things to keep the hunt exciting. The goal is "experience" or like some people sit on your ass and do nothing and in 20 years maybe they are at adv lv 80
    I disagree with this one as well. the duty is on the developers to create a world that is fun, exciting, vibrant, etc for us to play in. That means reward, achievements, etc to make the hunt exciting. I love how everyone is always trying to blame the player for bad game design....

Violet Ronso and Gorthyn like this.
  15. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Those people who told you to stop at 100 is leading you astray. 120 is the standard. anything lower and well.... once they are at 120, push 130 and then really notice a difference. there is a reason people are soloing all the "boss" content and teir 10 content and it is NOT because they turned their skills off at 100 :)

16. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

That and telling players how they should be playing to "have fun"

17. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

The only comment I have about this is no where in the design of this game was it ever mentioned anything over 100 would make a significant difference in power. Chris use to talk constantly and even showed graphs that the steepest power growth was to level 80 and start to flatten until it meant almost nothing after 100. In fact early streams the devs said anything past 100 would be simply a vanity thing. So something has changed in design but I never heard anything formally stated it that design has changed.

18. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

When they did "Balance" pass after balance pass, the new 100 is now 120, and the new 120 is now 150-160. Because players have 4b xp, they assume the majority have that same high xp and they set all the Resist/Content around those high levels. I have 150 in poles, and I still can not do 1/2 the content compared to my wife who is 22 adv lower then I am. I am pole/earth Adv 120, wife is Fire/Life and adv 98, She can solo more content then I can.

My Hit Chance on a red creature is maybe 10%, Fire 100% hit chance on all those same Red creatures.

19. NEILMHK

NEILMHK Avatar

Perhaps one part should be corrected. Compared with skills 100 and 120, the feeling is obvious, and compared with skills 100 and 140, the feeling is more obvious. If the comparison is between 100 and 160, the difference is definitely there. I will not say that the chart is not credible, but only when the player actually operates will they understand the real gap.

Why is it always NERF? Because the designer seriously underestimated the player's determination, even if only a few percentages, players want to strengthen themselves towards a higher level. It's a kind of hormone, there is no switch.

It is actually not a good idea to continually severely weaken skills, it is a continuous punishment. The experience requirement of skills is bottomless. Many people practice for a few months, but one update destroyed the skills. Can you not be sad? That's something that the chart can't see, and it also makes players worry about the true situation of NERF everyday.

No one wants to work harder, but pay is getting less and less. It means that no designer wants to spend more time, but fewer players. Change is not a bad thing.

20. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The answer to this questiob/statement is EXTREMELY simple... the gain per level is ALWAYS the same for combat skills, the difference between 0-80 and the one between 80-160 is the same thing in terms of stats, 100% the same! The only actual difference is the experience cost, but as you get higher and higher, you technically get more experience (obviously CPs are the exception here), so the curve straightens up a bit. So if you stop at 80, someone at 160 in the same skill is 2x stronger than you, 100%.

Now as experience is made easier (no more attenuation, double exp upon double exp, etc.), players reach the 150+'s even faster, and then yes, there is an imbalance. The advantage from this high exp spike was that players were able to rapidly speed through the first half, and then could work on "specializing" faster.

But thinking that pas 80 the gains are minimal, that is a lie, a big one too... back in the days reaching 1m exp for the majority of the playerbase was an achievement, a big one, and 300-400k was the norm. now, people do about 6m/hour at ERG, so yes, that "curve" is more of a straight line...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.