1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Make Changes to confusion in PVE

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Lathiari, May 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abstrax Phoenix

Abstrax Phoenix Avatar

Well, like I have said in the past, this game DOES NOT need to get easier. Once you get to level 115 you can solo 85% of the stuff in the game, if not more. I mean seriously, the only thing in the game that requires a party to do is probably Despair.

Jikininki likes this.
  2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I can agree with all that, but I have nerve damage in my hands. So I play rpgs instead of shooters. Confusion makes the game physically harder for me to play. So I will never be a fan.

Lathiari likes this.
  3. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

To be clear, I solo the cabalists all the time and Temna offers zero difficulty even with the confusion. What we are discussing here is not whether or not confusion makes the game "too hard" it's weather or not confusion is just an annoying game mechanic that adds no real value. I think the thread is getting lost somewhere along the way here. Again, this is NOT about game difficulty it's simply about messing with the controls during a fight being a bad design decision. The argument has been made, and could be made to keep confusion in the game however I think we need a drastic reduction in just how often it can happen to the player character (also purify will not remove it from the Cabalist FYI). Too many people here seem to be confusing "difficulty" with frustration.. you can design something to be difficult but also balanced/fun. I am not sure how many monsters in the game use confusion but I have come across 3 or 4 types of stronger ones that do and each and every single time it turns the fight into a chore. Maybe even something as small as taking the "random" element out of the spell would help.. for instance W always becomes D or A always becomes S. I am sure we could think of all kinds of game mechanics to make things harder, heck why not a spell that turns your monitor off? That would be cool and difficult right? Man you just gotta figure it out, you know just listen and turn up your volume, it's not that it's a bad design decision it's just you need to git guuud nub! You can see why stuff like that sounds idiotic and if I told most any person that your controls would randomly be shifting every 10 seconds during a fight I highly doubt any person who plays these types of games would think that was anything short of idiotic either.

You are right that it's ok if things are hard, but you are wrong in your assumption that we are begging the bar to be lowered. It's a simple question of "Is this fun?" and the answer from most people is a resounding "no". There are some good suggestions in this thread to tweak the ability slightly, I think going back to the drawing board on how it works would be a good idea.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Micmatty likes this.
  4. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

If the game feels too easy/easier for you man it's because of your personal situation that allowed you to hit level 115.. it's not the games fault that you had an abundance of time/ability to achieve a really high level. You have to consider the community as a whole, you have to think about people who are brand new to the experience. Someone who has 40 or so hours and not 500. Also, I would really ask you to think about the word "difficulty" in games.. there are so many things that could make a game "difficult" but wouldn't serve to enhance the experience/make it more fun. I personally believe that a mechanic which randomly changes the directional inputs on your end is annoying, I am not saying it's "too difficult" I am saying its NOT FUN.. there is an important distinction between those two things that I think you are missing.

If you however are telling me that confusion is FUN in your opinion, ok that is a fair argument, I disagree with you whole heartedly but that is fair. But please put down the banner of "THE GAMES TOO EASY!!" as a means to defend the mechanic, that's just ridiculous and completely misses the point of the discussion.

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Purify does work, but the Cabalist version is a "curse" that recasts every 2-3 seconds. I'd be okay with it if it purify or salts gave you some immunity for a bit, or if the "curse" aspect was removed, so it worked like when other mobs (satyr mages in Tartarus) used it, where it messes you up for two seconds, instead of for every two seconds.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Violet Ronso likes this.
  6. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

This is why I love discussions like this. We can drill down to the root issue of something, I start the thread with a mentality of "DELETE THIS SKILL" and after hearing some suggestions from other members of the community I start to lean towards "Tweak that ability because here is why it's broken/causing issues!" Awesome stuff my man.

Micmatty likes this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'm sure half the problem is the devs don't know how it actually works. Maybe a year or so ago, somebody complained in a stream that there was no counter, and the response was a tone-deaf, "use smelling salts." The cool down on salts is like ten seconds. The curse recasts every two. Salts are not a counter.

8. Abstrax Phoenix

Abstrax Phoenix Avatar

Am I missing something here? 115 is not high at all... level 115 only has roughly 500m xp into it, I know people with 8b xp or more. Lets even say you could only play 1 hour a day, and each day you went and got xp. 8m xp x 30 days is 240m xp, so in 2 months you can almost be level 115.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I can live with confusion and the work-around I posted earlier but I wish that skills meant more than gear in this game. As it is, you can just buy good gear and easily double your power.

Also, they should have some form of confusion resistance for a time if you use Purify or smelling salts.

Anpu, Bedawyn and Micmatty like this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

At 1h per day you have absolutely NO means to get 8m xp per day, it is IMPOSSIBLE. first off the group needs to get started, even if you get a group that is ready the instant you are, ERG right now is 6.2m in an hour approx. This means you spawn in the same zone as your group and start collecting exp right away. This also means you do absolutely nothing else. I have been playing since persistence, did some CPs and all, but also enjoyed different zones, a little bit of crafting, deco, and a bit of other things, and I have less than 600m exp, but I did enjoy CPs... imagine those who never touched a CP in their life? 500m exp is a lot, and a big chunk of players must be in this situation.

I would love it if people stopped thinking their accomplishments were just basic stuff, for others it can be a mountain ahead of them...

Lathiari and Bedawyn like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Technically, if you could immediately jump into a CP group then you could make 8M XP in that hour. I can never actually immediately get into a group though.

12. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I got some guildmates who have been doing ERG nonstop, as in a few hours per day with no breaks, and have reported to get 6.2m per hour (that is where I drew my number from), but I also forgot you could do It with a smaller group which could explain the possibility to do it! I forgot about that you are right, but still...

Barugon likes this.
  13. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

Confusion is an Essential tool in helping avatars thinking on their Feet. i agree its annoying that we can be constantly teleported around, but thats just part and parcel of the game. Confusion isnt going anywhere, its best just to learn how to deal with it rather than Effectively banging your head against the wall.

Jikininki likes this.
  14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Bionic limbs. Got it.

Now you can all go back to protesting the installation of wheelchair ramps.

Bedawyn likes this.
  15. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Its a significant debuff. Its supposed to be annoying.

Jikininki likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Avatar

Maybe have a crafted equipment that creates immunity to confusion at a high cost. Reduced focus, skill levels significantly? Example, cap all your skills at 80.

Have a quest maybe to get the recipe to create this.

Bedawyn likes this.
  17. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo Avatar

Agree with AJ but just putting it out there, I #&$%#%# hate confusion.. today i fought the cabalist and ended up stuck in the vines and die.. :mad:
    Rez, repair and try again ;)

18. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Personnaly there is nothing more frustrating than walking throught midras ruin or similars map with everything doing CC's on you at every single step. Just way too many cc in general. A way to protect against it would be nice

Micmatty and Violet Ronso like this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ah, good fun.

20. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

Knock me down, randomly teleport me.. stun me.. I don't care! But confusion? That's infuriating.. I play so many competitive games where mastery of the controls is everything it just makes it hard for me to wrap my head around why anyone thinks messing with the controls is a good idea. I could seriously see the same people defending a "curse of blindness" which gives you a black screen where you can only see the name plate of the monster you are fighting and have to guess at your positioning and health. :D

I would say our best compromise is to instead of completely removing it.. put a longer period in between times you can be confused.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.