1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Observations/Suggestions Long time on again off again vet.

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Lathiari, May 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I actually just posted my 3 possible ideas to make this work HERE, why don't you give it a look and provide feedback! I actually really like ideas 1 and 3, the 2nd one not so much, and the potential of specialization with it too!

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Agreed. I'm perfectly fine with there being stuff I can't and never will be able to do solo. I'd just like decent variety of stuff I can solo. I don't need to solo the spider queen. But hey, maybe throw us a spider princess somewhere?
    Yeah... sorta. I liked being able to solo UT before the big archery nerf. I only got so-so XP because I was slow at it, but it was the only decent place to get lich skulls. And, it was a solo wave battle I could do, if that's what I felt like doing. I still had to run around and pay attention and work at it, unlike UT in a party where not only could you just stand and shoot, but if you did move around your party would kick you. Be nice to see some wave battles designed to be done solo instead of "all waves are group events." But it's easier to just make them super hard; then nobody has to really bother figuring out how to balance things.
    I was actually thinking the same thing earlier today. Especially because there were some zones I liked for gathering early on, but once you out-leveled them they became a waste of time over other scenes.

Magnus Zarwaddim likes this.
  3. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

You make allot of good points. I was just thinking that this game uses instancing so heavily that why not have a system in place where you can zone into "Solo" or "Group" versions of the same area. They could scale the group version WAY higher.. with higher monster density/higher respawn rate and higher difficulty of mobs (Hp, damage, level) You could also offer scalable loot depending on which one you enter. Maybe something like that could work?

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Until the UI gets a complete overhaul from an outside contractor Shroud will just limp along. The hardcore combat crowd will still enjoy debating who gets the nerf bat that week, but the audiance will grow at a snails pace, if at all.

If they had put up a notice in 2015 that the UI was basically done, I would never have bothered. I think a lot of people feel the same way, judging by the huge number of requests for a usable and attractive crafting window, inventory, journal, vendor, dialog window, requests from people who have now gone silent.

We're running on one flat tire, and debating how to soup up the engine.

In the post mortem, I think we can safely say that the experiment to find out if people enjoy a 1990s interface has proven without a doubt that they don't.

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  5. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Up until about a year ago, you could select how you entered an instance depending on what you chose. I can't remember the exact phrasing, but it was Party/Private/Open. Open was just the "open world" aspect, wherein anyone could be in there. This was the standard zone people could freely enter, with the player choosing beforehand if they wanted to play solo or go in a private group.

But, yes, there has been a lot of requests for instance scaling, depending on the composition of player(s), which would be your party/private/etc.

6. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I agree the UI needs an overhaul. I seem to recall a bruhaha when they ditched the UO style bag system because it was extra work over maintaining that and the list we have now.

I would disagree about the flat tires. IMHO, there are two flat tires, one is the UI, the other is skills/combat that we've been replying about so far.

Just a couple of things that if worked on would make this game infinitely better. But at this point, I don't think they can do much about it. Such a shame.

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

A UI contractor isn't going to break the bank. If it is then the game is in maintenance mode already and they just haven't announced it.

8. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

True. At this point I'm putting on my tin foil hat and just saying that someone doesn't want their feelings hurt over the UI. Cuz what else could it be if it ain't money?

Not sure if it's possible, but if the UI could be opened up to changing I am sure there are plenty of people who would jump all over that and to which in the end we'd end up with something better (if not perfect or near perfect).

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  9. Lathiari

Lathiari Avatar

I still think (as I stated in the OP) they should open up the game to custom UI's.. I bet the community could make something themselves that is allot better than what we have.. not only is that probably the cheapest option it's also a great put up or shut up option from the dev team to the playerbase!

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

They no longer accept help because things have gone wrong in the past.

They seem to have forgotten that things have also gone right in the past.

Regardless, put up or shut up should never be a strategy for having an attractive and functional UI, not in a professional product.

11. Illesac

Illesac Avatar

This game absolutely needs areas with caps. Just because some loser has infinitely more hours to waste at Control Points than me does not mean they are better at the game. Give us an area to ladder actual skill so we can begin to sort out this sandbox.

12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

The OP makes excellent points, TYSM for this very constructive contribution, @Lathiari

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.