A new resource to provide incentive for PvP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mimner, May 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

[​IMG]

Xiones likes this.
  2. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

More scenes does not fix this issue, we have fast travel, welcome to open world PvP. If you want PvP without the people that are more organised and bigger from dominating then you either need a huge playing field with hours between travelling, so that groups cant be everywhere at once (not going to happen in this game). Or you need arena type PvP where there is infinte instances of the arena so no one group can monopolies it.

Regards
    Spung

3. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

I understand that a group of persons are pushing hard the PVP aspect in SotA, I'm also addicted to the adrenaline that a PVP fight provide and it's probably why I have 5 accounts on Eve Online and another 3 on Albion Online, plus few others Mortal Online, LiF Mmo, Invictus, etc etc.. I also believe that SotA have a huge potential for the PVP if the Devs take some time develop it:

- Tournament ranking & Ladder
    - Better % of XP & Loot on PVP exclusive scenes
    - Guild conquest of territories
    - PVP resources on kills

However, I don't think that SotA have reached the maturity to bring the PVP as the main concern at this state of the game. There is a lot of game improvement, balance, bug fixes & stability required before thinking to go through the PVP path.
    I have seen someone in /universe saying that PVP will bring a wave of new players... this is not true. When a new PVPer prospect will install SotA, he'll not run to the Oracle to remove his protection and turn into PVP, that will not happen.

As anybody else, the new prospect will start questing using his confusing journal then adventuring on areas without functioning maps. When time will come to craft his own gear, the prospect will face a weird math on chance of success where it is possble to fail 4 times in row with 95% chance of success (0.000625% that happen). If this PVPer prospect have enough patience to go through all this, he will realize that his pet doesnt attack players as expected or he got oneshoted by his opponent's nightmare with a critical of 5,000. He will also realize that player resistances are calculated after the critical multiplier...

How many hardcore PVPers you believe attracting with these current issues ? That will not just affraid them away, that will also strike SotA from their list for a while.. PVPer are rarely alone, they have friends and they comes from other communities (Eve, Albion, MO,LiF, etc etc), telling out loud that SotA is THE new PVP thing at this state of the game would cause a lot of damage if your goal is attracting this kind of players.

Catnip do not have the capacity and resources of a triple-A studio, I mean that if the devs are working on PVP stuff, they will not work on fixing other things.
    Bragging PVP PVP PVP on any possible channels is currently not good for the game but only for a bunch of players who want it, a kind of `desire`.

OzzyOsbourne likes this.
  4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Because it's already been tried... Look at UO: Fel had double resources, Tam had below average... And no one played Fel...

SotA has special PvP gear any crafter can make, only good in PvP... Resources in PvP areas are doubled, no need for "Platinum" (which is mining BTW)... Special potions, we have those, only good in PvP....

You guys are beating a dead horse here... I for 1 will never go in to a PvP area: only to be overpowered by a single or group of players... It's just me, can't speak for everyone, but I don't like being taken advantage of my hard work... So, think of another idea, maybe:

-special PvP skill tree, only active in PvP areas, you can chose 1 weapon(no magic) or you can chose magic(no weapon)..
    -Set these PvP skills to 100(even if you have zero, set it to 100)...
    -allow 1st strike combat: meaning the 1st to strike has to continue without help, no cross healing, no paralyzing, no help from any other player, just you and your opponent...
    -PvP has trophy points, but if you attack a fleing player, you get nothing... You can use your trophy points to get cotos, sell them for IGG...
    -no loot, no ransom: you kill your opponent you get his head on a spike or you can claim your cotos...

Is it exploitable: Yes, but only as a "drain" for IGG...

Other than that, you gain nothing, but the thrill of the hunt... or do you like acting like criminals: Murder, Mayhem, Gangsters...

Drilikath likes this.
  5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I like your idea, but I still think there needs to be better exp and loot in PvP zones, right now it is very poor both in exp and loot, so there isnt even a reason to go in shardfalls or ruins. If PvP zones had a boost in rewards, to at least match regular zones (but should honestly give a bit more), then at least there would be people who would be willing to take on a bit of risk for that better potential, but right now, you risk for absolutely nothing, shardfalls dont even have a reward to justify the risk, they have some of the worst experience rates, and drop nothing.

Mimner likes this.
  6. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I didn't explain myself properly. I am not saying you HAVE to make it equal. However, not many people who are low level are going to go into a PvP zone. So what happens? You get that 1% of players that play with one another. And that's fine. But the OP is talking about getting people into PvP zones. Why is that? If PvP were fine, why would the OP want more people to be incentivized to come into a PvP zone? Because 1% means that when the OP is on there is a good chance there is no one to PvP with. Again, why is that? I could opine that it's because combat isn't all that great. I could also opine that running into a zone with a knife when people have two guns, well, that's not an incentive to go in there.

And if more zones like the Obsidian Trials come out, and if the party finder is modified to include PvP, who is going to stick with PvP if you keep getting matched up with top-tier players? "Get gud". Grind for XP to attain higher levels to PvP in empty zones? One or two people whip me in PvP, I go grind to get better, and then what...crickets. Those players are either not playing when I am on, or they have moved on.

And this circular logic of brining more friends to the party will mean one thing … people will complain that it was unfair.

I give up. Because seriously, it's like I'm trying to convince a wolf to eat more vegetables. It's just not going to happen.

Enjoy your PvP. It's the crowning achievement in this game that will bring more people in to play so that all those PvP zones continue to be full. What are we at, a dozen PvP zones? Right now there aren't a dozen people PvP'ing.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  7. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Not really, I prefer killing dragons but the fall does give good gold/hour. Not great for 12 man group, only useful solo. The Fall is just another example of the games PvP failures.

Tartarus maze is "no ransom" worthless drop rate and stupid garbage exp rate. Another pvp failure.

The pvp could of been awesome if they stuck to the lore and didnt cater to fake pvpers. There is no such thing as "weaker" players in sota once your reach the soft cap. No reason to be pvping before the soft cap unless you are hardcore like me. No reason to complain that you are weaker once you reach the soft cap. The best pvpers in this game have proven countless times that the soft caps work perfectly. Pvp in this game is about knowing your opponent and using proper counters. Its about understanding the fundamentals of sota pvp. Asking to equalize players just tells me that you dont even understand pvp in this game. Pvp doesnt fail because of lacking "equalization". Pvp fails because it has been murdered by non-pvpers making changes and asking for things that break pvp in general like bandit gear, warding savage sash of swiftness and taming boots and new skills like the bard tree. Now the pvp needs to be rebalanced because it ONCE WAS EPIC and PERFECT. Not anymore.

^100% agree

Resources in PvP areas are NOT doubled. There is no point to risk anything to go to a pvp zone. You can now recall in a flash the moment you see someone. As I said, pvp in this game has been murdered countless times by non-pvpers.

PvP skills trees and im out. PvP gear and im out. No need for mechanic that make things FAIR, the soft caps already do this. If you cant handle being murdered in a ROLEPLAYING GAME, pvp is not for you. Its optional. There NEEDS to be risk vs reward. The death of pvp by 1000 cuts is already complete. No point struggling to breath life into a dead horse like you say.

Prada, Dhanas and Mimner like this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

So, if you feel that pvp here is dead - then why stay around and complain about it ?
    There must be other pvp games where you and your playstyle would have more fun... eh ?

9. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

I will never leave. They have you to thank for that. Gonna start with ransoms on pve death. 10000 pve cuts is coming.

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Oooo... so hostile...
    We'll see won't we.... ;)

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  11. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

The only hostility is your constant trolling in the forums.

Morgathys and Dhanas like this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

How exactly do you define "trolling", Ozzy ?

13. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

^posting things like this that deviate from the OP and thread topic and following me around and commenting on everything with negativity

14. Prada

Prada Avatar

I guess EVE got it all wrong...perhaps their Devs should study SOTA to improve their game's appeal to players...

If you want a game for beer drinkers to play while watching a college football game, so be it, but a game where you are on edge, senses heightened, and every fiber of your existence that you can muster, is focused on the outcome of your actions and reactions against your opponent...maybe that is different, just sayin...

OzzyOsbourne likes this.
  15. oplek

oplek Avatar

The incentive for PVP should be that it's fun.

16. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

I already play the game for that. I want the next best thing. Emotions, roleplaying, the sense of real virtual reality, fear, victory, adrenaline, despair, wrath, courage, pain and suffering, love, chivalry, bravery, valour, cunning, camaraderie, etc etc.... to crush my enemies, to see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Jikininki likes this.
  17. oplek

oplek Avatar

That's cool. Good luck gathering enough people who'll share that vision. My issue with posts, like the OP, is that if the discussion is at the point where we're trying to incentize PVP, there's already something fundamentally wrong at the core. If the PVP is fun, people will pay to do it, instead of being paid.

18. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

I'm meele. Tried PVP few times with friends, or when someone jumped on me in PVP scenes. It was always archers. They slow me down and hit pretty hard, so I'm not even able to get close, since they can also move when shooting and with their air magic they're usually pretty fast. Im not really into ranged and i guess thats the only way to have some fun here without dying in 10 seconds, so my pvp adventure ends here. Like you said, no need to bother myself with it when all i get is frustration and no fun at all. Even my archer buddy with lower quality gear and a little lower adv level can beat me without much trouble, since i can't even get near him. Maybe I'm doing something wrong here, but having to go certain path to just have any chances is also no fun for me, when the game advertises itself with its classless system making possible to 'forge your unique path'.

19. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Just remember to thank the PvE crowd for that. Before bandit gear, savage sash of swiftness and taming boots, archers where on the level with most builds. Now you NEED to have savage sash and taming boots and knight's grace and a shield to compete. That is what happens when balance gets shoved aside. Also now I heard that they even get access to bacchanel belts without the risk in Mysterious swamp... I wonder if this was just another intentional slap in the face to pvp or a mistake @Chris ?

I can beat most archer with bard skills because bard is OP. You just need to break their disabling shot with knight's grace and use COVER as much as possible. Use a shield or die. Use defensive stance or die. Just like they are doing things to counter your build, you MUST do the same. Its not impossible. It most likely because you dont have an anti-archer deck set up.

20. Chemeck

Chemeck Avatar

True, im not even heavy armor or shield user, just dual wielder. But i dont like idea with 'must-have' skills to even compete, PVP is not THAT important to me, tho in other games im usually doing it since its rewarding and fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.