To Those That Do Not Favor Non-Consensual Player Combat

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Betamox, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G Din

G Din Avatar

I'd go for safe haven in towns only. Risk, struggles, idiots, pkers, murderers, and scammers just make the game all the more meaningful when u accomplish goals.

GMing Blacksmith and Mining while fending off and making alliances with Reds was one of the most rewarding aspects of gameplay I've ever witnessed.

Forming Anti-Pk guilds (Owain !) was so much fun, finding player towns that offered protection etc.

Maybe have a few starter dungeons from within towns safe too. Ah well, that is my take. I was all for consensual options, but now I just feel like it waters down the entire experience.

apoc01 and Ferrus like this.
  2. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

There are no consequences that would make non-consensual pvp work for me.

I don't like it; I'm not playing to compete, nor do I want to be randomly ganked, no matter how badly the other guy gets punished. His punishment does not restore my enjoyment.

If the game has non-consensual PvP I will never leave solo-mode.

Bear in mind that I don't really do MMO's at all and SoTA is the first time I've even considered an online mode. Non-consensual PvP would kill that for me.

3. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

After reading several thread with about the same arguments over and over again, from everyone, I started to wonder if there is some kind of confusion about what this game have been announced to be.

First off this is NOT a MMO game, RG have said so several times and to quote the Kickstarter FAQ:

So the question is how many players can role plat a mass murderer in a multi player game? First part is that I do not think that most of the posters that are pro open PvP style game do not even thinking about actually role-playing. I actually feel sadness for those that actually wants to role-play a mass murderer because of this. Second part is that if there is to many mass murderer out there there will be a lot of "flags of disbelieve" for those that actually want to do what the game are design for, role-playing.

Joviex likes this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

In all fairness, there was initially three major features that distinguished SotA from an MMORPG:

1. MMORPGs don't allow single player offline. And while SotA does, your online character can't really be used single player offline. So they're somewhat alike.
    2. MMORPGs host and process instances on their servers. Initially SotA would be peer-to-peer, but apparently this has changed and now SotA will use the more traditional MMORPG model.
    3. MMORPGs are massive in scale. SotA has 69,000 backers and is growing. As they near launch and if they get the game on Steam, etc. I can see total pre-orders possibly reaching the 200,000 range. Rust didn't have big names behind it and went from 0 to 60,000 people in a few weeks on Steam. If SotA is massive like that, it suddenly meets all the criteria of an MMORPG.

SotA as originally pitched to a niche audience with peer-to-peer wasn't a traditional MMORPG. But it somewhat is now.

5. G Din

G Din Avatar

How do you know u won't like it? Maybe you will thrive in that kind of environment?

apoc01 likes this.
  6. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

RG him self said that this is not a MMO I think it was two weeks ago.
    You miss one HUGE part why this is not a true MMO, you will not be able to interact with all on-line players, there will be times you will not even see players that actually standing right next to you. So question is will I ever be able to interact in a environment with massive amount of players?

But that is somewhat beside my point, point is that this is mainly a FRP and I think a lot of people here miss that point.

docdoom77 and Joviex like this.
  7. enderandrew

That's the case of existing MMORPGs today with instances. We can both be online and in the same place and I won't see you.

I think every major modern MMO today does this already.

Again, what is the difference?

apoc01 likes this.
  8. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

The difference is in how many there will be in the instance!

But still you totally miss the point!! This game have been announced in the kickstarter and devs still refers to this as a FPR. And I'm still a firm believer that most of the posters that are pro open-PvP style game do not even thinking about actually role-playing. And to be frank, you dodging that question makes me even more firm in my believes.

9. enderandrew

I've never heard of FPR.

They said they haven't determined how many people will be in an instance yet. I haven't dodged any questions. There are no answers to questions the devs haven't decided on yet. They said the tests in R3/R4 will decide how crowded they will let an instance get.

For example, the largest PvP instance in SWTOR is still only 8 on 8, and SWTOR is clearly an MMORPG. If SotA allows 16 players in an instance to PvP, then they're just as massive.

apoc01 likes this.
  10. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

Ummm there's a dozen programs to do just that in just about every game you can think of. Actually one of the more E Famous youtube guys (who's done reviews and talked a lot about SOTA) actually sold one of the better ones for WoW (look up a program called Glider) on his website. Not to mention (bot) farmed gold and loads of other stuff. You PVEers want to cry about "toxic" (love that buzzword) behavior that happens to be the biggest destroyer of any online game there is.
    9/10 Pvp players get an absolute happy squishy feeling every time we stumble across one of these people.

Regardless you guys wine and cry about how UO and all these other games were absolute nightmares but the thing is you're grossly exaggerating. If that were the case then why is it that open PVP servers (in any game that has them segregated) those pvp servers are jam packed 90% of the time. Why is it when you hit the little button that says "Sort by population" a majority of the highest populated servers that are bumped to the top are full on pvp?
    Back before all the cross server grouping nonsense on WoW if you were going to log into Blackrock, Illidan or Manaroth you went to throw on a pot of coffee after selecting it due to the fact you were stuck on a waiting list.
    Why is it every time Blackrock went down for maintenance Argent Dawn (the biggest RP server) locked up with lag a half hour later like clockwork because all of Blackrock logged our low level gnomes and made 100 man gnometrains in every major city? We even locked up the Undercity and Ogrimar a few times by zerg rushing into them.

You guys that baww about ohmagherd Reds had no punishment whatsoever have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. That just meant you opened yourself up to 2-? blue gank squads all day errday who can't hang in a truly open environment. Don't even get me started on antis and the laughable anti guilds. Nothing but guardzone hugging scrubs. Doesn't bother me one bit. hey're usually unskilled and end up tucking tail when it backfires on them. Then they just open up all their associates and guildmembers to attack. Relentlessly.

The audacity of most of the self righteous PVEers here astounds me though.

The devs have been extremely vague with the whole system and how it'll work but the further outside of town the more danger thing has been stated. Imho they're using a whole lot of lawyer speak with the whole "consent" thing. Which actually brings my hopes up and is the only reason I'm sticking around to see what the deal is.
    I'll treat those resources out in pvp zones just like Powerscrolls in UO. If you can't hang in there and farm them yourself then you have to deal with the whole supply<demand thing and pay accordingly. But only the mid ranged ones get thrown into the market anyways. The top notch stuff is saved for like minded allies so we can keep our jackboots on the throat of the market.
    So hopefully I'll see you guys on the field.

CmmDmmCD, apoc01 and Ara like this.
  11. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Well then you can't have read much about the game, nor can you have watch much of the videos they release. From the first day RG have all the time said that this is a FRP, it's also all over the kickstarter page. In the videos, kickstarter and the official hopepage there is a lot of how strong the storyline will be in this FRP.

Well I was going to make a huge amount of quotes from RG and kickstarter and official homepage and include few videos where RH him self speaks about the FRP. But when starting to collect the links I realized that it wont matter, a person that haven't read about that this is a FRP will not read the links or look at the videos I link anyway. But I sincerely hope all that read this at least make a quick look at what this is for type of game before they start assuming things about the game.

12. aparks

aparks Avatar

+100

These PvEers also are the game hopping types. They jump on every new games band wagon and pollute hows its made so they can have a game they can beat in 6 months doing every quest and feat. Than when they are done with the quests they leave us PvPers with a game that could have been bad ass but is now a waste of money because the pvp is crap like all the other games they ruined on their band wagon hopping from game to game.

CmmDmmCD, apoc01, Ara and 1 other person like this.
  13. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Personal perception sometimes trumps how certain facts may be presented, and to be fair, there are still many more stages before we see the actual systems in place to make any final decisions. While yes, the game is presented as a role-playing world, there are also strong online and multiplayer aspects that will lead to player interactions, whether positive or negative, if chosen as a result.

While I don't see them reaching for huge masses of online players (though, that would depend on the release's popularity), the online aspect and all the other baggage that comes with that, including PvP, can't be dismissed or ignored. Fortunately, there is single player and the selective multiplayer options that seem intended to keep people associated with those that enjoy their particular flair of gameplay. But there are certain to be those who share a love of the bloodied personal battlefield, and they too want their voices to be heard.

apoc01 and NRaas like this.
  14. enderandrew

You're talking about dodging questions but you haven't answered mine. What is the difference?

Before you were saying FPR, which Google has no results for. What is FRP? Fantasy Role Playing? That doesn't preclude it from being an MMORPG.

RG said from the beginning it wasn't an MMORPG. Again, I pointed out the differences above, but those have since changed.

So I ask with those changes, what are the differences between SotA and an MMORPG today other than semantics?

apoc01 likes this.
  15. aparks

aparks Avatar

Yes and I believe a PvE server with arena style pvp and a second server for open world full loot PvP would solve sooooooooooooooooo many arguments.

apoc01 and Ara like this.
  16. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

It does seem a simple solution toward giving those that want open PvP the opportunity, and those that don't a safe shelter away from it. They could make a reincarnation of the Pits of Carnage from UW2 for those looking to whet their blade's appetite against their fellow adventurers. ;)

apoc01 likes this.
  17. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

Boy, some people are really setting themselves up for future disappointment.

18. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I'd like to see:
    -WoW style PvP in the open world (kill opposing tagged players without karma)
    -Ability to move in and out of factions in interesting ways
    -The open wold control points + castle sieges from the KS stretch goals

I love PvP. I just want the toxic players under control so the game doesn't bleed subs.

Orladin, skinned and tekkamansoul like this.
  19. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

So I have a "beat" I "walk" through the forums every day, or most days at least. This thread - new, by the look of it - was my first stop on that online saunter, and here I've now spent half an hour editing posts and issuing warnings for language and other, darker and even less acceptable things.

[​IMG]

20. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Public executions I say. Fear is the heart of love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.