Mistrendur No NPC Towns?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lesni, May 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well hopefully Chris remembers to add the feeling of progression to crafting such as titles, recipes learned from crafting, new skills earned from progressing, a crafting quests. Interesting with notifications not lost in the chat windows would be totally important. Details we have little of ATM.

Witcheypoo, Xee and Elgarion like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And please hopefully no player housing in NPC towns.

3. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

or a HOA system :)

Xiones and majoria70 like this.
  4. Toular

Toular Avatar

Why? I have a home in an NPC town, ad have no interest in having a home in a player owned town. Limiting new players to player owned towns will cause some players to not put down roots because they don't want the "forced" player-player interactions that a POT implies. And a player that puts down roots is far more likely to stay.

Now, I can see less player housing in NPC town, to accommodate the occasional hermit like myself but a complete shutout seems unnecessary and ultimately counterproductive.

arcdevil and Chatele like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There are still plenty of empty NPC towns. Also, POTs don't inherently force player interaction.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Witcheypoo and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  6. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Technically they do - if nothing else they give one player the ability to arbitrarily evict people, however little it may happen in practice

7. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Because player housing in NPC towns means all the work and time the devs put into designing a consistent, coherent aesthetic with a particular cultural feel that will inspire a particular emotional, story-relevant response in the visiting player is absolutely wasted, because half the players who move in will throw down houses that are completely inappropriate to the town's theme and the other half will try to turn it into a shopping mall complete with neon signs. Maybe one or two will decorate in a fashion consistent with the town's culture and aesthetic.

I get what you're saying and absolutely agree, that's why I spent the extra money to get homes in a PRT and in Ardoris, even though that meant I was saving up all last year instead of spending my game money on things that would have given me more immediate fun. But even so, I fell in love with Ardoris while I was playing offline and grew a backstory around it, but every time I see the way other players have ruined the beauty of Ardoris, I wish I hadn't gotten emotionally attached to it before joining the online game. The other players mean I never enjoy my time there. My PRT, on the other hand, is still quiet, peaceful, and attractive. There are fewer of them available, and the few that are popular suffer the same problems as NPC towns, but I absolutely recommend seeking them out for players who don't want to live in POTs.

I was thrilled when the devs said they were restricting player housing in Mistrendur (I don't remember if they said there would be none at all or if it was just to be very limited). I wish they'd go back and do the same in Novia, but that's another thread.

8. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I think we've mentioned this already once or twice: The plan is to not have any player housing within the Episode 2/Mistrendur NPC town scenes.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

No one said we would be limiting to player owned towns. There may be outskirts is what was mentioned. Complaints I've heard many times is players have to sift through tons of player housing to find quest givers and story stuff. We don't need that hassle in this game. Personally I love player owned towns but it's not up to me to make that choice for another person. There is no forced interaction in many player owned towns. We have other things to do. Lots in Wizards Rest are claimable with no interaction or deco rules as I'm sure there are other towns are not there to interact with residents.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Witcheypoo and Barugon like this.
  10. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Just put some player housing spots out of the central town district in the npc town scenes. If my only option for a home in episode two is in someone's tacky PoT then I'm out.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

If you have a place anywhere lot deed I'm sure there will be spaces for those. As I mentioned before what I heard was that those would be outskirts of an NPC town. So no worries since you already live in an NPC town you must have one a place anywhere deed. I totally understand where you are coming from and you should not have to place that lot deed in a player owned town if you don't want to. Some don't have that choice but if that is just the way it is then hopefully they will find a town that causes them no grief or interference in what they like to do. I think it is possible for those who are in that boat. Anyway all is well imo. If you played UO then you know that player houses were not in the npc towns in that game but in the outer regions of that town like forests or along a sandy beach etc. We did not have problems finding who and what we needed to find like in this game.

Witcheypoo and CarlNZ like this.
  12. shadowvice

shadowvice Avatar

I'd be curious if the option would ever open it up to players if they can fit the theme of the town. That said.. I'm glad it will be restricted. There are lovely personal lots but there is a lot frustration in larger towns (for myself at least) trying to find important plot stuff or even just recipes sometimes.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  13. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

I could see it now the Governors going around telling you you can't have that herald flag on your lawn, or you need to remove those stones on your yard.. Wait they already do that in game :p:p:p:p:p:p

Echondas and CICI like this.
  14. CICI

CICI Avatar

I like NPC's towns! =D Governors cant tell you what you can and cant do....no town ban also =D
    if you have a good spot you can do very well with a vendor =D

Echondas and Wilfred like this.
  15. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Some pot towns are very well done. others look like a mix mash or just stuff. I am sure there are pots suited for all. I am one of the govs with rules in my town, they are not draconian and simple. I do evict people that take up market space though if they are not following the rules, I always feel bad when I do seeing there is no auto magic move on eviction (which really needs to happen). NPC towns are delightful though. All I can say is I would not want to live next door to someone that builds silly things as it breaks my immersion into the game. Most govs if you ask before you place will tell you what you need to know to decide if the POT is right for you. most wont kick people with out good reason :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.