1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Getting killed by NPCs should cause ransoms

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by OzzyOsbourne, May 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

So you admit there is an exploit. Why should ransoms remain then?

2. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

This issue has been fixed and Tazar said this was a couple of years ago.

Cordelayne and FrostII like this.
  3. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Thats funny, then there will be no issue with my idea right? why bring that up if it was fixed? Feels like someone is trying to derail a thread with a great idea...

4. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

So if you dont enjoy the game anymore or it is not thrilling.. find another game.

5. Toular

Toular Avatar

Now, that I can agree with. But, if I then come back and kill that bandit I should find what he looted.
    Also, whatever an NPCs is attacking me with, they should have as loot and they should use the loot items they have. In other words, if I got a Wand of Undying Embers from an Elf Mage, then he should have been using it.

Googolplex owns you and Bedawyn like this.
  6. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Not sure if there is or not now - but one was used by certain groups before.

FrostII likes this.
  7. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Because systems break from time to time - and while fixed - that doesn't mean it isn't back, or won't come back later, or a new one arise - and certain groups will abuse it.

Compared to derailing a debate point with a 4 year old post about bot'ing that is likely not relevant now? or did you have something a little more current than that?

FrostII likes this.
  8. aragorn lancermane

aragorn lancermane Avatar

First off, you have obviously trolled a lot of people here. To answer your question- No. Why? Here are my reasons:
    • Causing the Oracle to ransom gold or gear could cause griefing.
    • Forcing a playstyle on players has never made a game successful.
    Causing the Oracle to ransom gold or gear could cause griefing- Whether you say or think that this would add "spice" in the game to make it more exciting is a moot point. You just posted this to troll people and it worked. In all seriousness, why in all hell would this idea bring more people to play the game? Think of what the reviewers would say when they die to a mob....

Forcing a playstyle on players has never made a game successful- You said it yourself on your post......
    There is a difference between PvP and ganking. If anyone does not know the difference or think its the same thing, they DO NOT know what PvP is. Plain and simple. From what I've gathered here, this game has set up "PvP zones" for ganking each other. If you flag yourself and openly PvP with someone else that has done the same, THAT is PvP. Before I go further- I've played the following games:
    1. Dark Age of Camelot- PvP? Yes. With a goal of PvE (Darkness Falls) if your faction controls it or beats out the faction that controlled it. Old graphics engine ruined it for me for better graphics from other games. Death Penalty? IIRC loss of stats for a few min
    2. Shadowbane- PvP? Hells Yes. This game was primarily PvP with no PvE reward. VERY FUN-----But- They knew the core mechanics of leveling (PvE) needed to be fixed and established FIRST. Lag killed me and other players and is the main reason why this game died. Death Penalty? No
    3. World of Warcraft- PvP? Yes- First played on the Destromath server (PvP server), Earned Warlord title (if you don't know what that is, you never played WoW in vanilla), did good in 2v2 and 5v5 arenas. Went to a PvE server to progress in PvE since I got into the storyline. Death Penalty? Yes Durability loss and repair cost
    4. Elder Scrolls Online- PvP? Yes- Cyrodil is what PvP is all about for me. Don't know what it is? Look it up. It rocks! Death Penalty? Yes. Loss of stats for a few min.
    So I know what PvP is. What most of the PvPers here want is a gankfest to boost their epeen. If its not, then you either didn't really know what PvP is or I struck a nerve and bruised some egos because someone that has been on other PvP games called you all out on it.

In total its this-
    1. I play this game because of FRIENDS-
    2. All the games I listed above have GREAT ideas for PvP- use some of it
    3. Forcing others to join your GANKFEST and be victims to what you call PvP is not a very viable way to attract new players
    4. The PvE community PAYS for this game to stay afloat. Show me how many original backers agree with forcing PvP, griefing or an unwanted playstyle on others.
    5. SoTA failed at the PvP aspect of the game since the beginning. There were no incentives to PvP other than to gank each other. What made it all even worse is PvEers were call "cowards" for not wanting to be victimized from griefing. Ganking someone that is not good in PvP or not wanting to enter a PvP zone but finds no other way to complete the shroud quest is not a good way to set the tone for PvP. Did any of you think this would just cause MORE people to NOT want to try what your group calls "PvP"?
    Again, congrats on trolling people. However- I just wanted to ensure that others see thru your trolling and showed the root cause of your post.

Cyin, Anpu, Duke Gréagóir and 8 others like this.
  9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I am 100% interested in pvp in this game and I have supported this game for many years.

I would not and will not spend another dime on this game if I didn't have hope for an actual useable pvp system being implemented at some point. Its honestly the only reason why I haven't canceled my subscriptions and continue to purchase items.

If the day comes where the team announces they will not be working on pvp at all - to me that would signal the lights are turning off for all of us.

We all funded this game, not just pve players. And I just want fun pvp. I've always been against forcing pvp, ganking, and res killing. Pvp players have asked for res killing at ankhs to be removed/fixed forever.

No true pvp player wants any of these things. You're confusing us with the nostalgic immature uo players that want to gank and fill a chest up full of heads.

I've completed the main quest about 10 times with different toons, every time I went into the pvp zones to do it (which is not necessary) and I never was attacked or even saw anyone else. I'm sure it's happened, but since there is STILL crap loot and xp in the shardfall and ruins, nobody ever goes there except to run thru the quest.

A couple times pvp started to thrive here when players were competing for cabalists and the fall. And each time vocal selfish players complained and the devs made the mistake of changing things. Many many players were lost during these changes.

10. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

So you agree that ransoms should also be removed for pvp... My thread is about ransoms in PvE.
    No I did not. Keep your accusations to yourself or show evidence to back them up.
    I think death should have a consequence in all games. There is none in this game. Absolutely none. The only consequence is durability damage if you dont resurrect.

No there isnt. When I play a roleplaying game, I expect roleplaying. You can characterize pvp however you want. Don't put words into my mouth. Read my posts. And stick to the topic.

If we are going to use this kind of metric to justify who should talk about pvp, then I would win. I played more than 4 games that had pvp. Thus your argument justifies listening to me. Top 100 2v2, 3v3 bracket in wow. Did everything you listed and more. I personally dont think thats how it should be but that seems to be the argument you are suggesting. If you dont pvp in this game, personally, I dont believe you should even comment on pvp. That is my opinion. But pvp in this game has been decapitated and beat down to a point of no return because of situations like this. But like I said before, stick to the subject of my post. This isnt about pvp, this is about giving death meaning in a game that obliterated it. Like I said before:
    "I think death should have a consequence in all games. There is none in this game. Absolutely none. The only consequence is durability damage if you dont resurrect."

Personal insults and still not a shred of any reason as to why my idea isnt based on lore or why death shouldnt have consequence, no aspect of my idea was even brought up in your post. The only person "trolling" is clearly you. You cant even do it nicely. So I have to ask, what's wrong with sticking to the lore and giving death meaning by making the Oracle take ransoms on death in PvE if she/it/he already does it in pvp? Forget the whole pvp concept while youre at it and explain your point of view while sticking to the topic and stop derailling my thread for your personal vendetta against PvP. Thank you for considering putting forth your opinion in the first place, I look forward to it.

11. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

Yes the video that showed which guild was doing it was taken down, and it wasnt House of Mangar, trying to change the narrative years later isnt going to solve anything. The evidence was there, still nothing to do with my thread. There is no "griefing" in this game. If you flag, you should be ready for maximum roleplaying. The opinion on what is griefing should be done in another post altogether. Stick to the pve on death ransom idea please. Thanks. We are here to talk about giving death meaning in a game that has none (anymore).

If there is another exploit that can get people killed in PvE, report it.

12. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

There was more than one guild doing it. As for staying on topic - I think everyone here is doing that. There are valid reasons to not pursue your poor idea - but any time the reasons are given, you call it off-topic to the thread instead of acknowledging it, or countering it. Sorry - but these are on topic - and valid reasons.

FrostII, Malimn and Cordelayne like this.
  13. aragorn lancermane

And that is one of the biggest reasons why players have a bad taste in their mouth- You don't even know the difference in roleplaying and PvP- Much less the difference between Ganking and PvP. Your defensive response proves my point. I hit a nerve because you can't handle the truth. You are just one of those players that like to gank people and puff their chest out. When you can't find victims, you run to these boards and launch insults calling PvE players "cowards"

PvP is player vs player- Its NOT roleplaying. It is NOT Player bumrushing another player and killing them. It is NOT forcing someone to a playstyle.

Sorry but I don't think I'll believe you on this one. First off- You played more than 4 gams that had PvP but you say that ganking and PvP are the same? If you really can't tell the difference between PvP and ganking after playing the games I listed above then sorry- you're full of it.

Where did I say I had a vendetta against PvP? No- I didn't even make that assumption. I have a personal passion against bullies like yourself.

Dude...... do you even really know what you're typing?..... Your title and post said it all....Title says it all.
    Because of all the pvp hate, I thought we should balance things out and give death meaning again.

BECAUSE OF ALL PVP HATE, -------------------- ---------------------- -------------------

That was the reason for your trolling........ No I'm not nice about it because you want to support a bullying playstyle and yes it is on topic....... "BECAUSE OF ALL THE PVP HATE" its got nothing to do with the Oracle after that statement.

If my "accusations" offend you- then tell me why? Personal insults ? Where? It all means one thing to me:
    • I struck a nerve because somewhere in my post it applied to you and you don't like the way I put the truth out.
    • After posting the PvP online games I've played, you HAD to one up me then attempt to tell me that ganking and PvP are the same? If you really did do that well in arenas and especially WoW and Elder Scrolls Online then you know the difference between PvP and Ganking. PvP is consensual. Ganking is forced by catching them by surprise, generally in a open world environment. What you and alot of "PvPers" in this game can't tell the difference.
    • Why can I not believe you really played WoW and other PvP MMOs? Because WoW and other primary PvP MMOs had PVP SERVERS..... Players that go play on those servers KNOW WHAT THEY ARE GETTING INTO. Those that were on PvE servers that want to PvP can go into battlegrounds or arenas. Either way, its consensual.
    • No I am not trolling you or anyone. I'm basing my opinion. If you or others find forcing any type of playstyle on others enjoyable then you are one of the reasons why the game became toxic. Yes there are PvE players that are toxic too in this game but you definitely don't help in changing PvE players minds. Am I nice about it? Most would say I'm not, however those that do know me can say I can be one of the easiest guys to get along with. Again- I just have a problem with people forcing or bullying others.
    • Again- This is on topic because you posted "BECAUSE OF ALL THE PVP HATE" - and my first reply to your post on the very top gave my simple reasons just to appease you. But of course you ended up forgetting that because I probably hit a nerve with you.

14. aragorn lancermane

Okay I agree to a point. However, can you dispute that the PvE community has made the most purchases or spent the majority of the money being pumped into this game?

Again- Yet you have PvPers wanting victims to join them in their version of "PvP" and people wonder why the PvE players get a bad impression of the "PvP" community here? Again, there are all these zones and a town to cater to the people who want that playstyle and its hardly ever utilized. PvP in this game lost most its potential from the beginning primarily with my reasoning in the previous posts. The remants of the PvP community here just dug the hole bigger and have been ruining the chance to attract players into joining PvP by name calling and insults towards the PvE community. Its happened and those people know who are/were the most vocal about it.

My point in this is that IF the new players did not know about the alternate routes to complete the quest- they would have to go into a PvP zone if they wanted to complete the quest. I've done it myself on multiple toons, I've never gotten attacked myself- but that is still not my point.

What needs to happen is to find a way to fix the rift between the two "sides" and find a way to promote the game again AFTER fixing the issues in the game. "Fixing" damage and skills should not be the main priority although it should be looked at or revisited. Give incentives for players to do things in the game. Where is the raiding? Why are there no battlegrounds or arena instances? Why is there no PvP GEAR and only crafted or artifact gear from PvE? Make there raids to give us an incentive to get better gear, items, mats to upgrade our PvE gear. Earn titles and kill points or other currency to purchase PvP gear. Something.... other than a exp grind....

15. Jikininki

Jikininki Avatar

Some items get destroyed during a fight. :)

16. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

The OP is a pretty interesting idea. If something like this was implemented I would prefer if it was a little different from pvp ransoms though.

Only one random item or stack of items is chosen per death. Only humanoid npcs would ransom anything on death, so if you die to an animal, you would just need to recover your corpse from the spot you died. Also, if you go back and kill the humanoid that slays you, you get your items back without paying any ransom.

Put a 48 hour timer on each death recovery so if someone loses connection they still have a couple days to recover their corpse or pay the ransom. If the 48 hour timer is exhausted the recovery is available indefinitely at a higher price (double the original?) or you can decide to "donate" the item to the oracle to clear your list, if the item is junk and not worth buying back from the Oracle.

The idea Fzol mentioned here has been done before in other mmo's - I think asherons call had that almost exact setup, and honestly I didn't like it very much. I remember being frustrated a lot, but also a sense of accomplishment when I finally cleared the penalty and got back to full strength. So it was better then no penalty in my opinion, and would probably work well in Sota - since its incredibly easy compared to Asherons Call.

17. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

That's I get the feeling you are mistaking me with someone else. I do not care for your version of pvp. I want pure roleplaying. I do not want to gank anyone. Save your hate for the right target. This discussion isnt about pvp btw, its about a pve death penalty cause pvp already has one. If you want to talk about pvp, go here:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?forums/pvp-gameplay.39/

roflmaoLAC, the only bully here is you and the anti-pvp crowd... im not even for pvp, im for roleplaying... gg

A whole lot of gibberish and nothing about pve death penalty.... bye

MasterSlave and SlaveMaster2 like this.
  18. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

And you contradict yourself again... it isn't about PVP... cause PVP... *laughs* You are the one who keeps making it about PVP - even in the original post: "Because of all the pvp"

So - you started it - you can't suddently act like it's not a topic of the thread because you don't like the opinions of others.

19. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

So what do you think about PvE death triggering an Oracle ransom? Why does dying in PvP give ransom but not PvE? What about the 1x instead of 4x (pvp version)? Or are you altogether against the idea completely, and hopefully mention why you are against it?

This thread isnt about pvp but obviously since ransoms come from PvEers concept of how pvp should work, or should I say, people who thought full loot being to harsh, non-spiritual successor concept. I mentioned that single line about "all the pvp hate". My concept of pvp back in the beginning was to be full loot to stick to the spiritual successor of ultima online concept. Not the dumbed down version of trammel, the true form on which is was started. Thus dying also in PvE would leave all loot on the body, but I digress. That is altogether a whole other discussion. Lets stick to giving PvE death meaning.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    MasterSlave and NihJoo like this.
  20. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

Well it was suggested a number of times during the XP loss discussions... just let the devs add an option "make death meaningful for me" to the game interface, then you can choose from a wide variety of time stealing mechanisms that fits your personal level of punishment and the problem is solved.

Malimn, Cyin, Cordelayne and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.