Linux

Discussion in 'Feedback Archive' started by Barugon, Apr 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I originally backed this game because of Linux support. I'm not going to detail how much money I have pumped into this game but it's a considerable amount. Windows people with modest hardware enjoy 30-60 FPS in Owl's Head. With a Ryzen 7 processor, RX 5700 XT GPU and 32 GB RAM I get 10 FPS but performance is still only a thought for Windows (GPU occlusion). There are also bugs in the Linux client from > 4 years ago that do not get a single thought.

My financial support of this game is ended.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm a windows user, but I can absolutely sympathize with you @Barugon
    You have contributed greatly to the forums over the years, and am sure you've also helped others ingame as well.
    I know of a lot of bugs in many areas that have been years gathering spider webs, but as much as the old bugs aggravate me I have friends here and will stick it out.
    I'm crossing my fingers for you and others with the Linux issue. ;)

Sentinel2 and Barugon like this.
  3. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

The Linux issues are upstream in the Unity engine.

Unity has not been providing the support they promised to developers, and their Linux engine in particular is problematic.

As of GPU performance, Unity3D is still using rather old D3D to OpenGL shader conversion systems. I wonder if it would be possible to patch something newer in.

Feeyo likes this.
  4. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @Barugon
    I understand your frustration. I play on a mac with the newest OS, Catalina. Over the years I have had to play on the lowest graphic settings, not go into crowds or Join LFG because when VFX for spells start filling the screen I have so much lag that they kick me. It has gotten beter for me over the years but at one point I was using a Surface 4 to play and it worked better than my mac.

Hang in there and maybe they will send some love to Linus or beat the Unity people into submission. More likely, quicker, and cheaper just get a cheap PC don't load anything on it but SOTA and have fun.

5. Katu

Katu Avatar

It's a common problem.
    (following numbers are not backed up by anything now, thou I remember reading about indie game dev blog about it )
    Less than 5% of users ( linux version ) take >70% support time and Mac users take big part also. It's not cost effective.
    Linux is not a gaming platform. Windows 10 is good OS and installing it to the side, should not be a huge task.

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  6. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Additionally, Unity3D's memory management for Linux is not as good. I suspect it is not taking advantage of kernel features like asynchronous memory allocation.

As of graphics. I wonder if Mac should be switched to use Metal by default and Linux switch to Vulkan on default. (Mac uses the VKMetal Stack which is a very good Open Source graphics stack that uses Vulkan shaders on Metal.)

7. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I mostly played with vulkan, but even that is almost unplayable on Linux. The only acceptable way to play Sota on GNU/Linux for me is to use Steam + Proton..
    My experience with Sota + Unity has been so bad that I avoid buying/playing games made with the Unity engine.

Anpu and Barugon like this.
  8. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

How can I figure out what options / settings I am using on Ubuntu Linux?

I have an nVidia 1050 or something like that. The framerate is way better on Windows, but otherwise it runs very nice on Linux for me. Im actually pretty impressed with SOTA's performance on Linux these days, compared to years in the past. The only other drawback I experience besides lower framerate is the Linux client seems to use 2x as much memory, but I have 32GB so it doesnt actually affect me much. I play on Linux way more often than Windows.

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Chris
    If you guys fix the issue with the cursor reappearing when a window opens while using mouselook then I'll restart my subscriptions. I really like supporting this game but 4+ years of that frustration is enough.

10. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Nothing on linux ever just works. That is beast machine just buy windows and run Linux in a VM. Thats what i ended up doing a couple of years ago and was a Linux maximalist up until then

ngavarta likes this.
  11. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

It is not Linux that is not working here, it is Sota not working correctly.. And I understand at the end of the chain its the crappy engine (Unity) that is the problem but still. Stop complaining about Linux. Most of the time if you can not get anything working, it means its the user behind the screen then the actual operating system...

PS. @Elgarion Stop removing my comments, it is very annoying!

12. Damian Killingsworth

We are saying the same thing. If the Linux community has made available a driver for your specific hardware that runs on your specific GUI, then seek that out. Else, play the game in Windows or you're gonna have a bad time.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  13. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

We are not in 1991 anymore..

14. Damian Killingsworth

I have burned a lot of hours messing with SotA game client on Debian forked OSes. One thing i can tell you, and the OP is that the generic GPU driver isn't going to cut it for most cards. Its been a few months since i used the Linux game client, but i can tell with Nvidia Geforce hardware, they put out their own drivers for GNOME UI and they worked great (at that time). Good luck in your endeavors sir.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I was never talking about the open source driver (Nouveau) with Nvidia. It has never been anywhere near acceptable.

However, the open source drivers for AMD are awesome. I play many games on steam using steamplay (ESO, Witcher 3, Jedi: Fallen Order, etc) and they all look and work great. The problem here is that Catnip tends to focus performance improvements, if they're shader-based, on Windows only. One thing that they could do going forward is run their shaders through SPIRV-Cross and they can generate shaders for Windows, Mac and Linux, thus only having to work with one set of source code.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Feeyo likes this.
  16. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

As @Barugon already stated, every GNU/Linux user knows that the opensource nouveau (nvidia) driver is bad. And you will need to use the closed source nvidia blob. For AMD cards the opensource AMDGPU drivers and MESA are pretty good, they perform even better then the AMD closed source drivers. So I am not really sure what you are talking about.

So stating "nothing ever works on GNU/Linux" pisses me off, your stating something that is not true. I am sure your enjoying your Android phone , watching TV on your smart TV and or even on your tv receiver while writing that..

Barugon likes this.
  17. Damian Killingsworth

I said :
    Expecting a Windows gaming experience on Linux is unrealistic.
    You have to put some time in and read some docs and boards, son.
    I am tying to be helpful as someone who lives and breaths Linux and has backed this game from the beginning. I want the OP to stay with the game and not loose their support to keep the game going.

Been down this road, trying to save you all grief. Dual boot, get a second rig with windows or have Windows as host OS and spin up VMs. Trust me.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Nobody eve said that they expect a "Windows" gaming experience on Linux. I don't want a "Windows" experience at all. What I do expect, though, is for their software to work properly on the platforms they are supposed to support.

Very immature.

Feeyo likes this.
  19. Damian Killingsworth

Believe me when I say despite the effort it takes to reword what I am trying to communicate to you so that you understand it, i will press on because you and other guy there are proponents of the use of Linux as an alternative to Windows.

when i say "windows experience" in the context of SotA client performance on Linux Desktop distros, i mean that you can just start with a fresh install of OS and client and be of to the races. That is what you expect and it is unrealistic. I labored to get the cleint to work on a specific PC using Debian and what I ended up with wasn't worth it. Capitulation was worth it to be able to play the best game ever created. GL sirs.

20. Damian Killingsworth

Even on patches where there were no graphics glitches, the frame rate was 30% lower on Ubuntu than on Windows 10. On the same exact hardware (dual boot). They said they would support Linux and they made a good go of it but save yourselves the grief.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.