To Those That Do Not Favor Non-Consensual Player Combat

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Betamox, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Signing up with factions could be the best way to deal with it... This way all players are given a choice (opt-in to PvP, stay out of faction wars if you don't want to) and you even get to pick a side! Sounds good to me.

NirAntae likes this.
  2. aparks

aparks Avatar

Anyways, whens the next alpha test for backers? How many days do these last?

3. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

I've always thought that having to serve out a sentence in stocks in a town square would be an interesting form of in-game punishment. Especially if serving the sentence required a player to be logged-in in order for the time spent in the stocks to be counted toward the sentence.

Aaaaand...that's probably why nobody has hired me to be an MMO designer. That, and I've never applied to be one. But mostly that first part.

4. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

The next pre-alpha release happens on...Thursday, I believe, beginning at 10:30 AM CST.

5. aparks

aparks Avatar

Is there a link to pre- download?

6. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

You shouldn't need to re-download the game client if you already have it installed, if that's what you're asking; it should auto-update with the R3 patches and data files automatically. Typically, these go live the day prior to the release period, so...you should be able to update your game client by Wednesday afternoon, I would guess. You won't be able to log in until Thursday morning, but if you leave the client to patch overnight, it'll be right and ready for that Thursday morning start.

And typically, there will be an update posted by Starr Long explaining all this...expect to see this on Wednesday as well. Said post will contain a client download link, in the event that you do not currently have it installed.

That being said, if you don't have Shroud of the Avatar installed and simply must have it this evening (not that you can do much with it, other than stare at the login screen), may I direct your attention to this news update?

7. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

I'm thinking the metaserver system will work out a lot like Neverwinter's. Which isn't a bad system at all and it keeps things from being over crowded in areas. You can jump to your friend's instance of a certain area via the menu and vice versa at any point in time. If you're running around doing solo play it just tosses you in a random hex with random people. But it's more prone to throwing you in with your friends and guildmates if you cross over into an area they're in.
    It's a nice method and throws out the need of having loads of dedicated servers.
    Anything other than that is up to the crew on how they handle it. If they're going to have lets say USA Est and West. Europe, Asia and what have you so people in their respective areas can have a better connection. Or just one big hulking beast of a server.

NirAntae likes this.
  8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I vaguely recall a dev mentioning having localized subservers which simply improved the connection between regional users, which fed back into a primary hub-server containing the World data and such.

Don't know if that is the approach they have chosen, but it sounded like a reasonable plan. :)

9. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

You sound like a street cop I talk to from time to time when I'm out strolling the "entertainment" district :D

Yeah it's something I haven't looked into and I'm really not familiar with the nuts and bolts of. Maybe Ultima Codex will be kind enough to point out any source I can read up on if he's aware of then :)
    It's something I've actually wondered about as far as fine details.

NRaas likes this.
  10. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I would imagine this is a big factor in the instance matching that will happen, essentially try to place you in an instance with like-ping/like-route traffic to help with the cross client synchronizations, etc. I would also assume there will be slave servers globally positioned as part of the cloud service they will be paying for; these would work as mentioned, feeding back transaction data to the "main" server (player trades, vendor purchases, etc).

Interesting problem to solve; would be curious if any of this is working in the Alpha test this week, yet.

NRaas likes this.
  11. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

It's a big forum and I can't cover all of it, nor can any of the mods. So we all have our areas of focus, and PvP is one of mine.

I don't recall anything of that nature off the top of my head, but I'd suspect it would be in the Dev+ forums, if anywhere.

12. Robby

Robby Avatar

A sport??? To each their own... but im a nerd. If I want a game thats like a sport, ill go play madden NFL or something.

Time Lord, apoc01 and docdoom77 like this.
  13. Robby

Robby Avatar

Bots these days play the video games better than us humans.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

No dropping out of Open World Open PvP mode. I would imagine it working similar to the Single Player Offline mode. Once you decide that you want to play in Open World Open PvP mode you cannot change to any of the other modes. So you have to decide carefully if you want to play in this mode.

15. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

I am a fan of in-game jail time for in-game crime, and the "Death Penalty" for murder. Stealing gets you locked up for an hour if you get busted, murdering someone gets your head chopped off (and your character deleted).

But that's too extreme to enforce on the public in general :)

apoc01 and Jeremiah like this.
  16. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

They threw you to the wolves :D

17. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Worse.

I volunteered.

Jambot, docdoom77 and NRaas like this.
  18. Robby

Robby Avatar

What I want to know is what RG will do with that locked door. Will we walk up to it and get a message that says "WARNING entering this gate will allow other players to attack you!". Or will we get some... vague sounding message that is very quest and lore oriented that will hint at it enough so that players who don't want to go here will be able to avoid it. My other question is.. Will there be points in the story where only certain level of players will be able to enter? Like, for example, say by level 10-15 players are generally on the town being seiged quest, and at this point is the first side quest available that opens you to PvP with other players level 10-15 so long as you choose to open up the locked gate. Of course, to be fair we would lock out any players that are at above level 20 to avoid having level 90's coming in to be the biggest rooster in the coop. And.... VERY IMPORTANT: Lets avoid arena-style PvP, I absolutely DO NOT want a PvP zone such as this to GUARANTEE PvP action. I want a little suspense here... just because I have entered the PvP portion of the quest doesnt mean that you attack every player on site, or have opposite colors that you know are your enemy the second you look at them(colors are something that you should have to determine by playing through the quest, maybe reading something in the news about someone... Get tricked, stolen from, or killed? Maybe you should have listened to the town crier at that time.) . People on the PvP side can be friends as well as foes. And foes may not neccessarily kill you, just might knife you in the back some time in the future such as, grabbing all the loot at the end of the quest and taking off on you. We might want to encourage alliances(NO not guild, parties!) to prevent these areas from being too overloaded with hostile players(where is the suspense when you know without a doubt that your going to be attacked in the "PvP quest zone"). I think this would be a very fair compromise, one that will benefit us all on every side of the PvP/PvE aisle. It would create the "illusion" of non-consensual PvP by using rules that have never been used before in an online game to enhance immersiveness of PvP to that old school uo state without actually being old school uo, and its purely consensual and story driven. There has to be some kind of bait though I believe... There needs to be some small incentive to go there other than just PvP. Perhaps theres an item there that will help you out well in the next 10 levels but becomes virtually useless past this point. Kinda like diablo, it had quite a few optional quests that you were not obligated to do but would definitely help you out right there and then at that level, but then you find yourself discarding/selling the rewards from the quest later on becuase you pick up something better. (Remember the butcher's cleaver anyone? Arkaine's valor? Griswold's edge?)
    I think that players attacking other players should be possible at many points in the game, but very very rare, unless a player quests to hunt other players. Their actions eventually make PvP the default option for them because of how they played the game since level 10-15.... or maybe even earlier yet in the game than that! Perhaps before level 10-15 (since RG stated at the very beginning you will have a certain amount of safety or something not exactly sure how he said it but they were words to this effect) you can be flagged for open PvP and full loot if you do something dastardly to an NPC! Yes, who says that we must always protect a new player? IS a new player ALWAYS innocent? Has there never been a time in old school UO were someone new to the game deserved to be whacked for being a fiend upon entering the game? Just because your new does not mean that everything you do is out of "not knowing how the game works". If a newbie runs up to me and attacks, and swings at me repeatedly its pretty clear he is attacking me and deserves to be brought to justice. As a new player, I can see myself searching the dressers and looting chests in houses right from the start, and as I am doing these things I want the excitement of being discovered by another player... Ok maybe they will be within my level range, say level 1 to 5. But if a level 5 catches a level one theiving then that level 5 should feel free to pwn that level 1 and be rewarded for bringing em to justice.

Sorry about the long long post and all but the "story can drive the choice to pvp" phrase lead me to come up with gobs of other ideas.

Time Lord, apoc01 and docdoom77 like this.
  19. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

Ultima Codex is now a certified masochist. If you ever have to go for a crazy plea just log into here and show the Drs after 48 hours :confused:
    That's an awesome outlook man. That would add a lot of meaningful pvp

20. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

Glider sounds interesting... in that Blizzard took him to court and won repeatedly until the company was basically closed down and he couldn't sell it. My question was actually a fairly simple one on how they work in this day and age. Most of the ones goldfarming ones I'd run into previously were in FFXI (stand at a specific node until it spawns then harvest it, or fish in a certain spot back until they 'fixed' the fishing system to make it more intereactive) or even last year in Scarlet Blade (stand in spot monsters spawn and spin to win). So if there are more intelligent ones which would actually be effective in the game then I'd be curious to see them from an intellectual stand point. Minimum player supervision, sure. Completely computer controlled with zoning hexes and going out and seeking the resources in an entire map? I'd like to see that. Intellectually. While I rage about it and hope that a stop is put to it quickly.

I'm... not sure how any of the rant relates to me. Read my posts on the PvP forums and I'm a middle-of-the-road PvE/Meaningful PvP with a PvE bias, mainly because I find generic Open PvP to be one of the most mind utteringly boring impositions on gaming. Give me a meaningful PvP scenario, like a castle siege, the 'contraband' quests, Guild Wars or a battle for a town and I'm totally there. Random ganking? Yawnfest. I know other players like the Open PvP and as long as we've got our ways of keeping distinctions whether its by flags or sticking different player types in different instances of a hex, I'm all for them getting to kick back and slap each other around. I just wouldn't want the game to devolve to all PvP or all PvE since I know you'd lose players with either extreme.

And to be honest, if you find a botter in the forest (as opposed to a player who is seriously sleep dep and is only conscious by their can of red bull while they numbly click on the node repeatedly) feel free to kill them for me. :p You'll find everyone, with the exception of botters, hates botters.

Wasn't there. Don't complain about. I ask players on both sides of the divide to explain their experiences on it. Based on the replies I ask further questions. Heck, I played WAR and took part in the battles in the zones, and for castles and the like. Only reason I gave up on it, while the PvP was incredibly fun, Mythic couldn't be bothered fixing the bugs in the PvE content for years after they were reported, and just kept introducing new ones.

Jubei'thos on the PvE Oceania side was in exactly the same position during Burning Crusade. People would start to log in to raid about an hour before start time just because of the horrendous queues. With the additional servers (and people starting to abandon the sinking ship) by the time Wrath came around I can't think of a single server I saw in the list that had a queue. Were you taking part when Sunwell Isle was being unlocked? That was *HILARIOUS* on the PvE servers because whenever a new phase would begin, some wiseguy would flag up, and the next thing you know the server would crash from having 90% of the population going for it in the one small area. :D

Once again, not sure how this has anything to do with my post. I was just asking a simple question on how macroing/botting had moved on as my experiences with it as of last year, at least in the Korean MMOs I played it was rather limited and everyone could tell who the spin-to-win botter was. Heck, I've played games where macroing was all but essential to the gameplay and full supported by the Devs. (IE. FFXI and WoW. While I could do Utsusemi tanking blind without my macros, having a macro for all the timers giving reports on the cooldowns was so much nicer. Nowdays people just design UI addins to do the same work)

See you round there. Hopefully with R4 we'll finally get to let loose a little and see how the combat system works in PvP (since thats where I think I last heard them talking about us testing it?) and thats its actually fun! ... I'm really really hoping the PvP will be fun @_@;

(And yeah, if that was a generic rant about PvE rather than directed at me, all good. Just having it coming on top of the example of Glider had me going 'Wha? Where'd that come from?')

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.