Armor Damage Changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anpu, Jun 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

The job of the tank (when done properly) is taking durability hits on his equipment for the rest of the team. Now the tank will be penalized harder... :(
    Good, I missed this part =)

But my main concern is how critical damage is calculated, the current math isn't scaleable, the armor resistance look like calculated after the critical multiplier.. that make no sense
    And remove the "True Damage" done by mobs... Let the tank doing his things.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

What I'd prefer to see is skills used in new ways. Maybe if you target yourself, Body Slam turns into a short duration runspeed buff. More combos would be a good options as well.

Definately use potions, when I play a tank. But generally I'm in leather or bone; I just know the pain of feeling slow due to skill choices.

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Where did he say anything about DR changes? Am I about to get sent back to T5 zones for another year?

Barugon likes this.
  4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

He did mention buffing (or at least reworking) avatars Damage Resistance, not mob DR. It was during the Friday Live Stream the day after the release, and also a tiny bit during Fzol's stream the same day as he was watching Fzol and chatting in the chat. He noticed that Avatars lacked some tanking possibility while Fzol was trying to Tank those mobs in the T18 Bazaar instance.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  6. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I wonder how much it will affect us melee that use body slam. @Chris , @Elgarion , any chance to clarify? Any info would be appreciated before I start to use garbage iron and copper chain mail and swords. R/Boris/ El Pirata

Jikininki likes this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

After he patches the changes in, go out and test it...... ;)

8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Thanks for posting this.

Frankly, while I know some folks like Twitter, I don't get why the devs don't use their own game dev forums for shares like this.

Why do we have to follow Twitter in addition to these forums? Do prospective new SOTA buyers follow devs on Twitter but not the forums?

*ponders*

Bedawyn likes this.
  9. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

What they need to do is make Body Slam, and Engage Opponent into one skill and put it under the Heavy armor tree. Where you Engage Opponent you body slam them when you reach them, and set it for far range.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

@Barugon I read that to mean the formula to calculate durability loss caps incoming damage at 100, given the context of the statement. I don't think he's talking about DR there.

11. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

I think the durability loss of armor has nothing to do with the strength of the hits and that only the number of hits will count for that. I can fight dragons for example the whole day and dont notice a significant amount of durability loss on my armor. But if i fight a lot of itsy bitsy mobs the durability goes down faster because of the number of hits. I am pretty sure if i get 100,000 hp damage by dragons dont cause that much durability loss than 100,000 hp damage taken by timber wolfs.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  12. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother you know I will. Waiting to see when the patch comes out. Did he give a date for this invention of his to go into effect? R/Boris

13. Dawgs of War

Dawgs of War Avatar

The entire premise behind this change is flawed! When my armor hits the point of no repair I will make more. I won't run around Novia for hours to find all the right pieces from all the various vendors. If the intention of this change, nerf, (cough) improvement is to make leet crafters less teary eyed about selling their goods, it not only misses it mark but instead invites more players to make their own.

The real fix to this is simple. Make it easy for players to find the items they need and make the crafting of these goods profitable.

Finding the items could be simple, add a universal search. " Oh no not a universal search! that would make profits crash for the merchants and create competition on price."
    If you are going to be a merchant that's the game you play , ask Jeff Bezos.

Make crafting goods profitable, again a simple fix. Make silver and gold ore more abundant. That's the real cost. "Oh well we can't do that. Players would be running around with this leet gear and it would ruin the game!" No it wouldn't. The game already has a safe guard against that, its called Sota math. It's already in place.

This change is a waste of man power and resources. Fix what is really broken and move on.

Jikininki and Boris Mondragon like this.
  14. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I brought up Body Slam and Absorb impacts in chat just in case - thanks :)

Time Lord and Boris Mondragon like this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Its been forever, but I think the amount of damage increases the chance of a durability loss, not the amount. Lots of small hits with a lower chance to damage armor could still do more than fewer big hits. I think what he is suggesting is removing the cap to how much damage affects the chance, so dragons would now be more likely to cause durability loss each hit.

Either way, I just think in that particular case, Chris wasn't referring to DR, since he didn't mention it specifically, and it came at the end of a list of changes to how durability works.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  16. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I take no damage to my armor from mages due to magic damage not affecting armor at least not the chain armor. It’s the non magic damage that nicks up the gear and in my daily farming of the Rise it’s the elven archers and fighters. R/Boris/El Pirata

17. Gwendolyn Obscuro

Gwendolyn Obscuro Bug Hunter

Could you please mention Corpus to them too? I know armor damage is Corpus' big thing and most of us change to junk armor to fight him, but sometimes you don't realize he's there fast enough and a piece or two of your armor gets trashed. Without a damage cap that might mean ALL of your armor gets trashed now. Maybe his % could be toned down a touch.

Jikininki likes this.
  18. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

It would be nice if the quality of the material affected its wear as well. I.E. higher quality materials wear less rapidly.

Boris Mondragon, Net and Violet Ronso like this.
  19. Charon

Charon Avatar

/facepalm

How hard is it to push stuff to QA, get it tested on the game client and after a few days of testing include it in a patch? You know .. kind of like people that develop software for a living.

Sweet baby jebus ...

EDIT: That was not directed at you FrostII. I was just hoping against hope that Catnip would adhere to some basic software development methodology.

20. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Still never major repaired my armor and I play a lot so meh. "Tanks" should get a durability perk from Heavy and Shields specs that decrease durability loss as they can take a beating while at archer or mage can avoid a great many hits...

Lorddread and Boris Mondragon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.