So what was updated for crafting?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick, Jun 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

I vividly recall Chris saying that he's going to look at crafting next some time back..... and I see him talking tweeting about armor now.

Was there any update to crafting? Other than a archery target recipe, which to be honest isn't really useful.

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

It is supposed to be coming, next release or the next one if you listen to rumors.

The planned changes are to make scaling much better on crafting levels, so you will see a much higher difference between a lvl 100 crafter and a lvl 140 crafter, but I got no other info other than that.

3. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

If only there was an economy to make crafting worth Lvl 100+.

Brass Knuckles, FrostII, Nick and 2 others like this.
  4. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

My two cents on the other thread that talks about an “uptick” to armor and probably weapon damage is that cheap armor with 2 MW and 2 enchant will be the most marketable. Same for weapons. Why would anyone want to pay for high end stuff that will wear out quicker? Most may turn to archery and kiting to make their good stuff last longer. Just my two cents.

Funny that on last stream @Chris said he was going to bump up melee. I think he meant he was going to bump up their already high cost to use that build with high end gear.

R/Boris/El Pirata

Cordelayne, Nick and Violet Ronso like this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Not a lot has been done, but the work has started. Here are the items from Release 78:

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm betting that he'll probably just add more effects to water down the choices.

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

That would possibly the worst decision possible and make people VERY upset ! He needs to actually make the current effects scale better

8. Nick

Nick Avatar

Oh well.... gotta wait some more then.

Still hoping for crafting updates that makes crafting more...... meaningful and fun. Its currently costly, painful, irritating and time consuming. And there's no economy for the crafted goods.
    It sometimes make me wonder why anyone bothers. Those folks that used to bother (and still around) don't seem to talk about crafting anymore. :(

9. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Im still waiting on a few things. the skills for over 110,120,130 etc.. as well to fix the few artifacts that we cant gem etc. Additions beyond that are always welcome as well. I have not made any new stuff the last month because I have been waiting on this. I have tweaked a few items on my vendors though with additional 4th mw or enchant.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Exactly. I placed a row lot in a good spot, bought an ornate shop home, and crafted thousands of bows and crossbows. The only crafted goods I ever sold were wooden trunks, chests, signs, and mannequins.

At this point, I mostly play offline. I still do crafting, but its only for myself so what I craft has changed quite a bit. I rarely bother to do base crafting, as artifacts beat them in every slot, so its mostly masterworking, enchanting, alchemy, and cooking.

This is *not* the crafting game I was hoping for.

11. Charon

Charon Avatar

If I weren't dead set on only using gear I made there's no way I'd bother with crafting at all.

SOTA crafting is by FAR the worst time/gold sink I've seen in any game.

12. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I think there are other issues here. I sell a lot weekly. the issue I think is that top crafters are getting the majority of the coin currently over other crafters, especially those trying to get into the market. I also think that advertising daily is what is helping the bigger guys sell more. If people don't know about you then wont be shopping at your shop. If your prices are not right they wont either. If a top crafted cross bow from a 130 crafter is 40k how do you complete with that? With changes coming to artifacts to make them salvageable to make new artifacts that will out weight the old artifacts and help crafters complete with them. I do agree that many are using a lot of artifacts vs crafted goods, including myself.

I had purposed a armor level requirement which would push the top crafters into higher level gear opening up the lower markets for new crafters. that would be one way to do it but I could see top crafters up in arms over that seeing many low levels now buy the top gear when they can afford bypassing all the lower stuff... especially considering the prices for top gear from some vendors is low enough that no new players could compete. what is junk crafted stuff to me that I put up for a few thousand is better than anything a new crafter can make. from my perspective I just want to get that off my shelf at a cost of the mats just to recoup the crafting components. see the issue?

it is for sure a gold sync until you get your skills over 100 than it starts to make money if you plan it right. need to basically have vending machines in all the top markets to make good money. Location is another key. just because you think yours spot is good, does not mean it really is. looking at sota metrics on top towns for instance shows where all the sales are happening. its those towns you will want to have vendors in as they are the ones that people go to as the easy shopping. they may not be the best prices but you can be sure to get what you are looking for. https://shroudoftheavatar.net/topLocations They advertise and have more foot traffic than any other towns. I also think location on the map, almost all the top 10 towns are in the same area. its almost like a street mall where you go town to town on that street which is full of all the best stuff. Back when they had the gates / passes blocked this helped a lot with population control for shopping as new players could not easy access all these and bought more local. many market people were upset when these changes happened top open the gates and allow flow because it took from the outskirt markets and allowed new players to vendor right to the shopping district which made those smaller markets loose a lot of traffic.

Id be happy for any solutions or feedback I am sure there maybe a better way to do things. a global search option for instance with vendor locations and prices would change a lot of the market but not sure that would help for the smaller as the bigger guys will be more competitive and end up in price wars which would drive the smaller ones out. thats just my thoughts.

13. Powersurge45

Powersurge45 Avatar

Unfortunately I feel the underlying problem is a weak crafter to player ratio. There simply isnt enough players to support the 100s of crafters we have in game. I am 120 in EVERY crafting skill except the blacksmithing tree and i dont sell anything. I dont really advertize either. The only reason i did it was to help my guildmates customize their gear. I also like to make my own gear and at 120 i'm good enough to do all the content in the game that I want to do with my gear. The crafting system isnt perfect, but the cycle is exactly like Xee mentions. The garbage the high end guys make is better than 90% of the under 120 crafters. They sell the super rare pieces at crazy prices and charge base ingredient prices to get rid of their excess.

I will give you an example. I bought the perfect air wand..literally it was a perfect wand. 3xMW and 3xEnch with no failures and it hit major int across everything along with focus maxing for air and magic damage boost. It even still had 112 durabiilty afterward. This was made by a 120 crafter and he sold it for 17000 gold. If my dual thunder branches ever get nerfed i will be equipping this wand. No one bought it...it sat on the guy's vendor for 2 months before i bought it VERY CHEAP I might add. The guy made little to no money while he burned expensive resources only to sell it for 17000 because there are virtually no air mages playing our game.

All the money is going to the high end crafters. At this point, it is a huge waste of time and money to do anything but buy from these guys. If the player base was large enough, everyone could get a piece of the crafting pie...but there simply arent enough players.

There are so many problems that would go away if we had even 10,000 people playing the game regularly...the 700 or so players means the game will limp along and eventually die off to new MMO's coming out with greater capital and resource support. I do not know why Richard, Star, Chris and others finish 90% of a long marathon in bothering to make an MMO only to stop 10% before the finish line and watch their accomplishment fade into nothingness. They are not going to put anymore substantial capital or investment into this game. It is now in maintenance mode. I am almost done myself and i have played for 4+ years. I gave them roughly $2000 of my money thinking they would make the game we all dreamed. Alas, it will take probably 5 more years if it survives to get in the playable state that i want. I'm not going to wait that long. I will move on to greener pastures where larger companies with deeper pockets will deliver what I am willing to pay for.

Rat2 and Cordelayne like this.
  14. Dartan Obscuro

Dartan Obscuro Avatar

This is true if you limit "crafting" to creating weapons and armor for adventuring. I think what drew a lot of backers to the game originally was the idea that there would be a lot of different activities that would be fun and unique. I'd say the biggest problem with crafting is regardless of if you're mining for ore, fishing, blacksmithing a sword, building a house or planting cotton it's all waiting for a progress bar to complete without requiring player strategy or allowing for much creativity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.