Question on housing

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Ysold, Jun 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Hi guys, here I am again with another newbie question. This time I have been looking for a home. I came to Estgard, really liked the town and found plenty of unclaimed lots. Having selected a nice spot, I try to claim it, only then realizing that I have a player-owned town lot, not a NPC-town. Ah well, I have saved up a bit, so I decided to buy a two-story town lot. It's not exact the same as my favourite property (a barn-type), but that type of lot doesn't seem to be for sale. So, I find another property in town on a nice spot, unclaimed, that exactly matches my housing lot deed. And still I can't claim it! The only lot deed that shows up in the window in my player-owned town lot deed....
    So, I'm pretty much puzzled again. Has the system tricked me out of 10K?

What happened?
    Oh and can you guys advise me on a nice player-owned town for a newbie player with ambitions to become a crafter?

Thanks,
    Ysold.

Lord Aventine likes this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you are confusing a house with a lot deed. the lot is just the land (except for rows, which come with a default house). you claim a lot with a lot deed and then pick what house, if any, you want on it.

Anpu likes this.
  3. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

Since I fell for it when I started. I am only guessing, but you may have actually purchased a home, not a lot.
    Vendors do not sell lot deeds. Those are only available via the Coto store or other players.

AS far as friendly towns to live in I have always been partial to Knight's Watch in Hidden Vale

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  4. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Thanks guys, I'm such a newbie!

Lord Aventine and Anpu like this.
  5. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

To clarify: The game uses "town" to describe what you might expect -- towns -- and to describe a certain lot size, where rows are the smallest, village the next size up, then town lots are double the size of a village lot. Anything you bought that is two-story is going to be a house, not a lot deed. And if it's a two-story town-sized house, then it will only go on a town-sized (or larger) lot, which is quite a bit bigger and more expensive than the starting row lot. (Although if you paid only 10K for a town-sized house, sounds like you got a bargain!)

If you want to settle in an NPC town like Estgard, or a PRT town like Smaragar, you'll need to spend the money to purchase a land deed that is not only the right size for the house you want, but is also specifically labelled as PA (place-anywhere) or Founder. These deeds are much more expensive than the regular POT deeds that can only be used in player-owned towns. PA/Founder deeds CAN be found on vendors, but not on NPC merchants, only on player-owned vendors, and they're uncommon even there. The easiest way to get a PA deed is to spend Real Money to buy crowns, then purchase it from the Crown Shop or to right-click the free POT row deed you got from the outskirts and use the crowns to upgrade it. (The upgrade process may take a few steps, but should save you ~900 crowns in the end.)

Or you could save a lot more money by settling in a cheaper POT, at least for now.

Keep in mind too, that row lots do come with a default house included. In POTs, it will be the basic 2-story wood and plaster, but in NPC towns you can find a greater variety of default houses. You can also find larger lot sizes with diverse default houses in some NPC towns too. It's catch as catch can whether you'll be able to find a nice one that's unclaimed, but the possibility is there. It's one of the benefits of NPC towns over POTs; whether it's worth the additional expense or not is a question for each player to decide. But I mention it here to make clear that if you get a lot with a default house on it, you CAN change the house but you don't need to, if the house already there suits your purposes. However, if you do decide to use the default house then later decide to move, you won't be able to take the default house with you; if you've gotten attached to that style, you'll have to buy a separate copy of it for your new location.

For instance, as of a few weeks ago, Westend (an NPC town) still had a two-story Viking village house going unclaimed. So if I really wanted to live in that style house, I'd have to (1) upgrade the starter row deed to village size, then either (2A) claim a POT village lot, then go buy the house separately and put the house on my new lot, OR (2B) upgrade my deed again until it said PA village, then go claim the Westend lot without having to buy a house.

The system isn't as complicated as it might seem, they just made some unfortunate naming choices in the language used to describe it. Once you get the hang of it, it allows a lot of flexibility for getting just what you want, even though you might have to save up quite a while if what you want is one of the more expensive options. :)

6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

default houses in npc towns on village or larger are just deco: they are supposed to clear to an empty lot upon claiming the lot. if you know of non-row houses not clearing, that'd be a bug.

Anpu likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You don't lose houses you've purchased and default houses are always attached to the row deed. You don't lose it. Consider settling in a nice little pot for now. You can save your deco set up to property manager and move anytime.

You will see its all OK having a house in a player owned town. Most are set up for the convenience of the residents. If you don't like a town no worries just move and try a different one if you change your mind. I am managing steward of Wizards Rest for example. It is located in Hidden Vale behind owlshead. No deco rules or other rules to live in town. It is a safe haven set up for the convenience of it's residents. Vacant Lots are claimable by anyone wit their lot deed. It depends on what you want.

For example If you want a role playing town you can find one of those. If you want an all trade town you can settle in one of those. You would need a player vender that you keep stocked. All is new just check it out.

Lots of options. Don't be afraid to just jump in to check it all out. Remember you get 2 free lot deeds from quests. A row size and a village size placeable in player towns.

Also don't forget to take the Oracle test every day. It gives 500 gold and experience. I've got an instruction book placed in the Oracle in Wizards Rest. Feel free to check it out and other instructions on the bulletin board and around town. No residency required to read anything or use crafting pavilions around town.

You can also later craft other homes or have someone craft you one with your ingredients.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  8. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

@Ysold Also note that you get a free pot row lot deed and a free pot village lot deed if you do the standard outskirts quests and the shroud of the avatar quest line to completion.

And, once you have those two deeds it is important to note that they can be upgraded to be placed in npc towns just by right clicking on them in inventory and spending some cotos to pay for the upgrade.

The prices for upgrading your deeds were discussed in detail in previous posts here on the forums:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ble-changes-in-patch-915.150992/#post-1204505

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.