Maps not available?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by tolnor, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That was the one Port bought and made the official map for a long time. I think it was stated earlier that it caused problems with Unity on the devs' end. Also, it never worked for Linux users. So while I suspect they could re-enable it, it seems unlikely.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it didn't, but unity kept claiming that the third-party plugin for it it did until they they finally found a way to re-implement it without that plugin just to prove them wrong. the problem is all the maps had to be imported into the new system and that was never finished.

yes it did. took a while, but they got it working.

that's the plan, re-implementing the old one with the plugin now that they've proved it isn't a problem.

Net likes this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, I didn't get anything right.

I prefer the newer one, though, where it's actually implemented. Bummer we're going back to the old one.

4. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    So much history with Maps in SotA. Originally there was a backer reward called The Novia Map Atlas that included something like 30 mini maps that were not interactive. They looked like this. They can still be bought at some NPCs. I know the Automaton in Soltown sells them and maybe some booksellers. @Chris has talked about turning these into Deco wall hangings.
    [​IMG]

Then a player named Jakub White created a mapping system that was interactive and showed map items like your location and points of intrest. This system was bought/acquired by Port and used as the in game system. It was nice because it also allowed POT owners to add icons to their town maps for buildings and roads along with town data like the owner of each lot.. There were issues with the system such as the DLL freaked out Unity, maps for updated and new locations were not added, and the DEVs decided to go a different direction with the mapping system which means all work on the current mapping system was stopped. I like the current system but they need to ask for map making help from the users. Give us the template of the area and let us put POI on the maps. Best map with the most details is used in game. Especially for POT owners to create the layout of their town.

Here is one that I did a long time ago of my POT using Jakub's system. It shows the lots and sizes, who owns it, and if there was an icon for the type of house you could put that on the lot as well. It has changed a lot since then but there is no way to update it. There is still the interactive world map (minus Mistrendur) https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/novia-r69.158807/#post-1256347 and there is a very detailed (7 to 8 meg) map made by @Birko https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/novia-r69.158807/#post-1256347
    These are great if you have a seperate monitor you can load them on while playing.

[​IMG]

Birko likes this.
  5. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

The horror.

Birko likes this.
  6. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @Feeyo
    Care to comment more? Are you not a map user or do you prefer to hand draw your maps as you explore like in the old days? Joking... everyone has their own way of playing.

7. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Sorry I meant the SotA and its map history and current state. The last map that was implemented was the best one if you ask me. Too bad its not being maintained anymore.

Birko likes this.
  8. Nick

Nick Avatar

Some of the maps still work right? It still shows your location.

e.g:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  9. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @Nick
    The original maps from the Novia Map Atlas that was a backer item is still in game and can sometimes be found on vendors. It was the Map Pack and 2 updates that included additional maps for a combined total of around 30 maps. You can still place one of the Maps in your tool bar and when you click on it it shows it to you like you hit the M key. Unfortunately they were non-interactive and non updated. As for the Overworld map and maps to cities that you could find on the Overworld map they can be accessed on the web at https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/ and you can turn Edit on and mark points of intrest on a private layer that is only saved and viewable on your computer.

[​IMG]

Nick likes this.
  10. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I did not know those maps also showed your location in it? I would be really happy if those mini maps were up to date and they all showed your location. Would not mind at all to get them as loot drop or chest finds.

Nick likes this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

They still drop from bundles, especially grey ones. They're also peaceable deco, and look like cool rolled up spell scrolls.

12. Nick

Nick Avatar

As far as I know, lot markers do not move in NPC towns, and things don't change much, so they be valid still.... I doubt the folks that worked on the maps are still around, else they would have worked on it instead of jakob's. (so they will never be up to date) I really liked the old maps though, wish they would have just worked on it instead.

Feeyo likes this.
  13. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yes agree!

Nick likes this.
  14. CICI

CICI Avatar

just revert back to the maps we had before not sure why it's so hard :) @Elgarion @Chris

Nick and Vaiden Luro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.