Steam Linked Accounts - Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Zurthock, Jun 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zurthock

Zurthock Avatar

Hi,

I stumbled upon an interesting option in Steam while looking for support. At some point, there is an option to "Permanently remove the game from my account".

I'm wondering if I use that option, if that will do what I hope: unlink my SotA account from Steam without altering my current in-game account, or if it will wipe all my stuff in-game? Or if this option just doesn't work with SotA?

Thank you,
    Zur.

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

From the FAQ:
    Deleting SotA from your Steam library doesn't affect you SotA account.

AoiBlue and Anpu like this.
  3. Abstrax Phoenix

Abstrax Phoenix Avatar

Yeah, sadly there is no way to unlink a sota account fron Steam.

4. Zurthock

Zurthock Avatar

Then what this option will do with SotA, have you tried it?

Thanks,
    Zur.

5. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @Zurthock
    Unfortunately you can not un-link the SotA account from Steam. The option to "Permanently remove the game from my account" applies to the software only and is really not permanent. I tried this a while back to verify and was able to delete, reinstall, and login with either SotA password or Steam SotA password. The link is made at Port not at Steam.

Anpu likes this.
  6. Zurthock

Zurthock Avatar

Thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated.

Then if the link is made at Port, and if Steam allows the option to unlink a game from an account, then why Port is not allowing us to unlink our account? I don't understand...

Zur.

7. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings @Zurthock
    Sorry, you misunderstand. Steam does not un-link your account. They only allow you to delete/uninstall the software from your account. Since you bought on Steam or linked software bought from another company you are presumed to own the game keys to run it and you can always show proof of purchase or authorisation to link the other company's account to your Steam account. So you can always just reload the software, contact support and show them proof, and they will allow you access to the account. This really needs to be changed but Steam is more concerned about keeping their users happy. Of course since Steam does not actually own the software and only acts as a distributer it is not important to them.

8. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We cannot unlink accounts as stated. Sorry, but we cannot handle these requests if placed with customer service, just in case you were headed in that direction.

AoiBlue likes this.
  9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

So Steam cannot unlike SOTA accounts. And SOTA cannot unlink Steam accounts. How can someone that owns an account (whichever party that is) not have control over its linkage to other third party providers? It is very unclear to the community why this would take an Act of God or a lawsuit to settle. Seems it should be easier.

10. Net

Net Avatar

Do not link to Steam;) Do not support platform that is based on renting you games and giving you zero control on what you own. And should they update the rules in the future as they can and get out of business they are free to terminate your account and deny you access to your library.

Alley Oop likes this.
  11. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

What about EU law and GDPR? You have to by law allow EU residents access to their data, as well as allowing rectification and/or deletion of all personal data.

If your saying your unable to handle such requests to do something as simple as unlinking a steam account then your going to land yourself in trouble sooner or later.
    So you might want to relook into rectifying being unable to unlink accounts as a start.

12. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

It's simply not possible since Steam will not facilitate the requests from us. It's a one time deal.

AoiBlue, Tazar and Net like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.