1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Avatar’s Update #386: Dynamically Scaled Scene: Myrkur! Lord British & Atos Q&A Livestream!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Elgarion, Jun 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Greetings Fellow Avatars!

This week’s update highlights the introduction of a new dynamically scaled adventure scene based upon the existing dungeon known as Despair. Myrkur, the name for the spin-off version, will be available to Episode 2 Access holders shortly! For those wishing to participate in any community activities, upcoming one-time and recurring community events have been announced! Be sure to also review the Players Guide and Known Issues list for additional information on recent changes and upcoming fixes. Now, let’s see what we have for you in this week’s edition of Update of the Avatar:

News Announcements

Community Updates

For the compete update: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=123933

Anpu, Barugon and Net like this.
  2. oplek

oplek Avatar

LB is "still involved". You can tell because him joining the stream is news-worthy.

Is DS back yet to resume his duties, as also still being involved? Pretty sure SXSW is done by now.

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

@Barugon Think we can pull off hard or extreme?

Anpu and Barugon like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Just run past everything. :D

Net and Anpu like this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I thought about that. Even if you already had the weapons in your inventory (currently, the ones from South Midmaer will work in Lamech's Bazaar; presumably that will change once they beef up the blessing) you might have a shot. But all the rooms where you use the weapon keys have mobs, and two of them potentially have ranged mobs. Which would one-shot you. If you got really stupidly lucky you might be able to pull it off, if you don't have to sit and wait for the keys to activate. (Not sure if just activating it and running away will work.) And you'd probably have to find a way to climb the mountain, as going anywhere near the pirate ship is gonna get an arrow in your back that hits for 3-4k.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'd really only be inerested in the extra 10 dex (tier 12). I'll probably give it a shot at some point and probably die a lot. :D

[edit] I was going to see if it was possible for me to get the buff from tier 12 but I can't enter the area. Clicking the button does nothing (yes I have episode 2 early access).
    [edit2] Ok, I got in and it's doable on hard. Just watch out for the archers.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  7. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I hope the bulk of LB's non Sota question answering "plenty of questions" about his travels is during the warm up prior to the one hour commencing, Im sure they are great stories, although im sure he would have many questions about his Sota commitments. Does he have a favorite new feature that is upcoming during this last yet impactful phase of development he is looking forward to championing into existence?

Does he have any favorite posts in the wishlist forum he would like to mention he like's the idea of? If thats not a LB question how about Chris's thoughts on any low hanging fruit in that forum?

And how many of us would it take to create new monthly subscriptions would it take to get a programmer to hit some of those low hanging fruit's in the wishlist sub?

God speed, stay safe everyone and thanks for the planned stream!

8. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

@Elgarion @Chris Getting these scaled up scenes completed should be a top priority. At the Tier 18 scene, me and two other players attenuated at 2x XP which is perfect as at Tier 18 it is a high end scene for high level players and gives somewhere to go other than a CP. At single XP, not worth it over 20 other things.

We had a blast, had to talk A LOT to avoid too many deaths, and were challenged. No other scenes are like this. They still need more mobs (spaced out as going against two is damn near impossible as they can one-shot you) as well as loot because at Tier 18 you're not killing very many mobs so each one needs to give a good chunk of loot. Whatever you think three high end players should get in an hour should be what 24 mobs give in the scene as your not killing a ton of these guys every hour.

It a great idea to do the scaling zones but if they're still basically empty of mobs and the mobs continue to give 50 gold each a month from now it's going to get old quick.

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think the lack of mobs has more to do with the choice of scene for testing than a preview of what these scenes will be like in the future. The regular t2 South Midmaer has the same number of mobs; they just happened to pick a low-mob scene rather than a mob dense one. I would bet a t18 version of say, crag foothills would have been too crazy to test properly. (Maybe they also figured using a low mob scene for testing would be less of a problem if they went too high with the xp.) I hope they keep Lamech's where it is for mob density, it makes for a great gathering scene as it is. Adding more mobs would wreck that. Better to add other scenes with more mobs and give us more choices. (And get loot scaling to work, too. I'd gather wood in the normal or hard versions if the mobs dropped decent loot for the effort, but until then, I stick to easy.)

10. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Floppy hats and beach towels? Ugh

I thought we where done with the secondlifeism. My hopes are dashed.

11. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Those items were announced with the R78 release. Going forward however, you'll find each month's rewards items and login items are a more varied mix between cool gear, immersive deco, but yes, still also vanity fun things as well. You'll see on Thursday some really neat stuff Damon's been working on.

Sean Silverfoot, Anpu and Net like this.
  12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

They had said previously they wanted to work on the mob scaling first, get it right then adjust the loot. Which IMO is the right thing to do.

13. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I'm fine with that as long as 1 item is a vanity/fun item. Some folks junk is other folks treasure.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  14. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

The more items the merrier though I hope functionality and micro gamplay loops (and happy accidents kind of stuff) are kept in mind,

A random example thinking about this beach stuff, would be say (if swimming is ever implemented), have a shark fin item strapped to your back and with a little consideration and design, could result in while swimming in the water yourself, the on shore appearance might only see the shark fin coming out of the water.... ;)

Silly perhaps, but I believe that time will reward this kind of thinking, else we might just have a lot of stuff either worn, held, displayed or just stored in a chest etc with limited usage potential.

Bedawyn likes this.
  15. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I am more concerned with the new damage to armor and weapons formula. I had triple the damage to my chain gear in my usual 2 hour Rise run yesterday. Did someone have an oops moment when they made the adjustment? @Chris , was this already in game or is this a preview of coming attractions? R/Boris/El Pirata

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  16. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

*sigh*

Why did LB sign the cloth maps if he's a glorified player at this point?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.