Best way to get a high Magic Resistance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fister Magee, Jun 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I have been playing a new character that isn't using any magic. I am interested in raising magic resistance as high as possible, and thought that Magic Warding skills and the Magic Resistance skill may be the best way to go.

But, it appears that it might be better to raise attunement of said magic trees along with the warding and resistance skills. Is this right?

See these:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...elcome-new-players.52691/page-21#post-1290671
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ting-in-0-9-earth-resist.163359/#post-1287097

As a nonmagic user, do I need to train my magic just to get better resistance because it takes attunement into account in the formula?

For reference, the formula appears to be:
    Magical Resistance = Warding skill + Resistance passives + Warding Gems + Warding Jewels + (Attunement/2).

Cordelayne and Duke Aventine like this.
  2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Another question... where does the Magic Resistance skill fit in that formula???

3. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

And another question... how does resistance affect the damage dealt to me? Is there a formula for that?

4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

@Mimner might actually have the damage formula which shows how your resistances are helping you, he usually has all those hidden somewhere :p

First off, this thread that I made tries to go into the most detail as possible as to how to get your resistances up and how everything works together. Actually, post #3 is from Mimner, and he details the damage formula as well to show you the impacts!

As for your question "Where does the Magic Resistance skill fit in that formula", which one are you talking about? The one in the Tactics Tree? @me or Quote me if you need extra info!

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Whoops, yes, I mean the skill in Tactics, Magic Warding - which grants 'Magic Resistance'.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Perfect, so basically this one does the same thing as ALL the other warding skills : +1 point of resistance, -1 point of attunement, but for ALL the magic schools except Chaos.

Cordelayne, Anpu and Fister Magee like this.
  7. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Right on

[​IMG]

8. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

The only worry about warding is whether it was implemented for PVE and PVP. There was some doubt a while back.

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

10. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother; I offer much respect for going non magic yet not sure what build you use. When in doubt ask @Sara Dreygon. I personally use dual wield swords and everything under the sun to kill as fast as possible preferably while stunned. These mobs are not worthy to look at the pirate’s handsome face “Grins”. R/Boris/El Pirata

11. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I took all magic warding skills except for life and earth so that others spells do more on me. Death, fire are 110ish, air and water at 100, moon and sun at 80. Tactics magic warding at 120 but this makes heals spells on you much weaker but without taking life warding they still do the trick although friends complain about healing me. Attunement, I have 1.2m skills at 99, 2.4m skills at 93, 3.6m skills at 88, and 4.8m skills at 85.

Taking tactics magic warding is harsh so be sure you want to. My attunements are all negative, some - 120ish. If I were to cast dash - which I have at 99 - it lasts 4 seconds. My ring of fire does 0 to 0 damage.

I have and carry warding gear for every occasion. I usually go fire warding as it is good for PVP and PVE.

Violet Ronso, Anpu and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.