Myrkur- A step in the right direction but lacking substance

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by aragorn lancermane, Jun 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aragorn lancermane

aragorn lancermane Avatar

We just went thru the dungeon in normal mode. It took us nearly 15 min to get from the beginning to the lich room. It too us another half hour just to get past the lich room. The dragon room is where we stopped at after another hour of pure chaos and no organization.

We went in with a Tank, one healer, one bard and 9 DPS. This was a definite step in the right direction. What I have noticed during out time in the dungeon is the following:
    • It's the same dungeon with just more HP on the mobs.
    • It's the same dungeon with the mobs just hitting harder.
    • No bosses.
    • No changes to mechanics (or lack thereof).
    • The difficulty of the mobs are about right for normal. With my own buffs and food, I have 165.3 Damage Resist, 107 Avoidance with 2150 HP and tanked everything. With only having 1 healer, it was definitely not easy.
    • There was no reason or way to effectively CC (crowd control) any mobs. Especially the dragon room. Pull one mob and all of them come after us.

My suggestions are the following:

1. Add bosses in the dungeon.
    • We have mobs in the bazaar with 300k HP, that model could be used.
    • There are attacks such as a frontal cone attack (cleave) that the Boss could use.
    • There are attacks such as a Area of effect attack (AoE) that the Boss could use.
    • There are attacks such as a enrage timer where the players need to beat the boss or the Boss gradually starts to hit harder until the Boss one shots everyone.
    • Add mechanics in the fight where we need to move or take damage during the Boss fight.
    Or put it all together or piece meal above abilities to a Boss that we need to reach at the end of a corridor and a Main Boss at the end of the dungeon.

2. Remove the roaming zombies.
    • Not only are they annoying, but do not contribute to anything in the dungeon other than try to keep the players moving.
    3. Have the mobs and Bosses NOT re-spawn.
    • The mobs in the dungeon are not worth farming.
    • The re-spawns would hinder "progression" in the dungeon if a group is having difficulty at a different section.
    • Have it re-spawn again after a day.
    4. Have a chest spawn after killing each Boss.
    • Make the loot worth the effort of the Boss fight.
    • Make the last Boss the hardest with better loot in the chest.
    • Have armor sets be broken up between the dungeon Boss' chest.
    5. Have every player be saved to the dungeon each day upon completion of each Boss in the dungeon and have it reset daily.
    • An example would be- A group of 12 players would be able to complete the dungeon a total of 12 times by rotating party leader.
    • This would encourage more grouping.
    • This would be a step into some semblance of end-game.

This would take a lot of work, but this would give the players something to strive for and have substance into the dungeons we have.

2. Net

Net Avatar

I like your other suggestions but this is such a grind. Do it once and allow everyone in party to skin/loot the boss or its chest. There should be enough dungeons in the game to always have some place to visit, being in one place for too long is boring. I really think everyone from the party should be able to get the boss loot, rather than doing the same encounter up to 12 times so everyone has their turn.

It really bugs me with bosses elsewhere, especially the dragon you kill for teeth, the firebird you kill for feathers, should have enough loot for all the party members.

It is rather annoying to keep track of who looted and doing the same encounter dozen of times, some people need to log out...but maybe they did not get to loot even though they helped others slay the boss and loot.
    So yeah, please come up with a way to share the boss loot with the whole party.

FrostII, Luno, Anpu and 2 others like this.
  3. aragorn lancermane

So would you agree with resetting the dungeons for once a week? That would make it in line with the other MMOs out there. Tho I would agree with you on this, we would need to take small steps on on our way to a week's resetting of dungeons as this would not be considered a "raid" just yet.

Nearly everyone here and those that came from UO have been accustomed to just constantly farming an area till they get what they want. In order for a proper raid to be made, there needs to be some form of lore or story line attached to it. This would also take some time to do.

As I stated on my above post, this is certainly a step in the right direction, it just lacks bosses with mechanics. Changing how loot drops on bosses would also help with reset timers for each dungeon would better get us accustomed to how boss loot drops should be. The better the boss loot, the longer the wait to be able to try for it again. This would give more incentives for group play which has been lacking in this game outside of control points. This game is more solo-centricwhere people want to solo everything.

As per my usual messages, we need to put changes in the game to attract more players and not focus on what our wants necessarily would be but to focus on how to increase our community and make this game more inviting for other people to join us.

I honestly hope and believe that the Catnip team is already planning on implementing the same if not similar changes to my suggestions above but have not gotten there quite yet.

4. Net

Net Avatar

I am just saying if party kills a boss, the whole party should be rewarded with loot. Especially quest loot or items that drop from boss only (e.g. dragon haunch). It just feels wrong to kill dragon 9 times so everyone gets piece of its meat. Or its tooth.

I am all for making boss fights more interactive and rewarding and perhaps time limited, but the thing I really dislike is that to have fair loot we need to repeat the boss fight over and over for every party member.
    And do not let me start on gathering, the resources are so limited that in most scenes you cannot gather in more people effectively. The game sometimes makes it hard to play in a group, especially because the resourced from the environment and the loot from bosses is so limited. Some games let every person in the party loot the boss or chop the tree, in this same it works only when it comes to stealing items from NPCs such as food or books. The rest is shared and that makes it rather hard for party play.

FrostII, Anpu and aragorn lancermane like this.
  5. aragorn lancermane

100% agree with you on this! Thanks for clarifying!

FrostII and Net like this.
  6. aragorn lancermane

Agreed. There could/should be a compromise somewhere on loot distribution as this was generally the bane and topic of most guild drama on most MMOs. Not so much on the type of loot but on the amount of loot being dropped per week.

FrostII likes this.
  7. Charon

Charon Avatar

We ran Myrkur last night as well.

I agree about the zombies. They serve no purpose at all and in fact the only thing I noticed a marked difference in was the "trash" mobs. Their HP's were boosted significantly but the Dragons, Spiders, Bears, Skelrins, etc all seems to be roughly the same as what I recall from Despair.

Clearly the loot/xp hasn't been tweaked as we all gained about the usual xp and nothing special dropped.

I'm not a fan of the run the dungeon 12 times idea though. There's PLENTY of grind in this game without adding a new one.

Net, Anpu and aragorn lancermane like this.
  8. aragorn lancermane

That's another "vote" for not having it reset in a day.

So have the dungeon reset in a week?

9. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

if only!
    What you described there in all ur 5 points is what i want since the beginning for all those instanced dungeons! One of them do it almost right and its the one in ruins of ravensmoor. Compendium of pain and suffering almost do that perfectly with the blueprint in the chest after X waves. (Where the heck is the second version of compendium of pain and suffering!?!?)

I want all dungeons like this!

Net, aragorn lancermane and Anpu like this.
  10. aragorn lancermane

That suggestion was just an example, however if it were, if you did one for the day the only way to do it again would be if you chose to join another party where the party leader hasnt completed the dungeon for the day. You would'nt be forced to join in again unless you wanted to.

Now if it were a "raid" dungeon, then I'd suggest to have the reset be done every week and no one would be able to restart the raid again until the next week if they get saved into that raid ID after killing a boss.

I do agree with your statement tho about having plenty of grind in the game- this was just the other side of the coin for taking steps into a proper raid setting by progressing from dungeons to raids. This way there is more than one thing to strive for.

11. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Combination of personal loot + Loot for group to roll on is good

Best to go with range on the stats of drops or another method so it's not just get what you need and you're done with that raid/instance.

Raid resets depend on what type of loot they choose to go with.

Pve players should also have the option to log on and run instances all day if they want

Before any of this though I would highly recommend fixing combat lol

Net and aragorn lancermane like this.
  12. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

in dungeon and dragon you could do a dungeon 3 times a day only, then locked until midnight every day for everyone
    Important note if this get in: When a character log off during dungeon, if he log back in and the scene is still open then he log back in the scene, if he wait 15 minute and have to recreate the scene hes kicked out on novia. So each time you enter the scene it count as 1 entrance into the dungeon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.