Shadow mobs in Spindelskog

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Luno, Jul 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luno

Luno Avatar

I like these new mobs, but what about their loot table?
    5 to 15 gold and a few corpse wax? Really? This is loot for a lvl.1 zone mob...
    So disappointed, once again

Luno

2. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Supposedly, because the scene will be a multi-tier scene, with (eventually) multi-tier loot, proper loot hasn't yet been implemented. However, it's been almost a release-and-a-half since the first multi-tier scene went in, and it still does not have scaling loot, either. To be fair, this is not a "finished" scene yet, as they like to introduce things before they are finished, and have said as much. There is story content coming for the scene as well. Though, the odds of any given unfinished content ever getting finished is admittedly low.

Personally, I'm fine with it for now, but if it doesn't at least get proper t10 or t12 loot (I forget which it is for that scene) table by next release for at least the base "Easy" level, it's complainin' time.

Barugon likes this.
  3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I have been playing Black Desert Online lately, while I wait for New World. One thing that I noticed about BDO is that every single activity produces currency, You can Fish and sell the fish for profit, everything you gather is worth something, every mob you kill produces gold, processing as well. Heck, you can even create a worker empire that gathers a whole bunch of resources for you, and it's super profitable. What happens is that they allow all of that currency into the game because they allow Items to blow up/degrade. One thing that I realize is done so darn badly in Shroud is that they want to have a very limited gold income, with items that blow-up/degrade, they are using the worst from both groups, instead of balancing each other out like BDO does.

So yeah, @Luno do not be surprised by bad loot, this was MORE than expected, and @Cora Cuz'avich I think that Loot balance will not be happening anytime soon, because they are probably already jumping on the next shiny nut, they pretty much did what they consider "required" for this new system, and that should be the last progress we see for dynamic scaling for a while now...

4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'd agree, but they've said all (or at least most) new scenes will be scaling. So it seems more likely that it will be implemented sooner rather than later.

Whether this results in loot that is actually good is less certain, just that it will scale. My point is only that it is an unfinished scene, and calling it worthless isn't exactly fair. If it stays unchanged for several releases, or is still terrible after getting "finished," that's a different story.

5. Luno

Luno Avatar

We have many unfinished things in the game, sadly (player made dungeons for example), but they already have different loot tables for different mobs, so if these mobs drop 10g and corpse wax is because someone decided so, and it was a very bad decision imho

Luno

6. PolgaraTheSorceress

PolgaraTheSorceress Avatar

Mistrerdur is a single big bug. for example, a few days ago a friend of ours came to visit us, we took him to see the new areas, none of us entered in a new areas. Our friend has stopped playing. I don't understand how it is possible that they continue to disrespect their customers, uploading patches that are buggy and incomplete. I regretted buying episode 2. I am speechless.....

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

No arguments there; I said as much elsewhere. I suspect they just slapped on a default ghost loot table as a hold over rather than creating a new table they were going to turn around and abandon in a month when (if) scaling loot gets added. It makes sense from a saving effort perspective, but was a terrible idea from a "how it looks to customers" perspective.

Just to refine my previous posts a bit, since I was typing on a phone tablet and didn't want to go into detail: When they decided that the game was "released," there was a discussion as to whether or not to continue releasing monthly content in WIP form, or only do that on QA and only move it to Live once it was "finished." The decision was made to continue with the same model they had been using during development. I think the reason was to "continue with what people were used to." My suspicion is that they realized that of they only ever released finished content, they'd never release anything.

That aside, the current model, whether we like it or not, is to release things as they are made, often in unfinished form. I think when we immediately jump on them complaining about how terrible something is, when they have clearly said, "hey this is just the first version, it's not done" it gives them the excuse to tune out feedback they don't like, because we're just complaining about something that isn't even done. I'm certainly fine with calling them out on dumb stuff like the loot in Spindelskog- I understand why they may have not wanted to have the mobs dropping top tier loot as a placeholder, but they could have (and should have) picked a better loot table as a placeholder. Even just having them drop the normal high level spider/wolf/bear loot would have been better, though not by much. But being immediately overly negative about something that is in an early developmental form isn't very helpful, and just gives them cover. When the scene doesn't change for two or three months and the loot still sucks, that's the better time to jump on them with cries of, "WTF, guys? Are you making a game here for people to actually play or not?"

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Well said @Cora Cuz'avich

Many of us (myself included) do wish they would switch to an open QA Test and Fix before Live development process, but that doesn’t seem to be the process they want to switch to.

I can however see both advantages and disadvantages to both development processes, but the current process is just going to continually cause disappointment.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Luno likes this.
  9. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

If this was a big game company and the manager was to see their dev team constantly releasing unfinished early state content into the live released game, they’d fire them and fire whoever signed off that work. It’s bad business and bad PR for a released game to have unfinished content pushed straight to live. Ultimately it means less money and less stockholders.

This stuff should be fully fleshed out, certified in house, tested on QA for at least a month, then released to live.
    Most other games don’t even release their content/expansions/DLCs until it’s been fully fleshed out and tested in house. Even then they only show snippets to the public and sometimes a public pre release nda testing phase before public release. That not only ensures the content is well tested and means fewer bugs hitting public release phase, but also means more free advertising via hype and PR.

Whereas SotA has minimal staff (granted due to lack of funds, but still...excuses) with rough buggy content released constantly, with development streamed live, and minimal to no chance for their free testing work force (aka us the public) to test content on QA and have bugs fixed BEFORE release. Also leading to no hype and making it too easy for PR messes and negative reviews.

I don’t think we should be making any excuses for Catnip’s poor development strategy.

Luno and Superbitsandbob like this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also it is just too irritating that Episode 2 is being released the way it is piece by piece. It should have gotten it's proper awesome release- all as a normal game which of course this never has been. Then the episode could have been sold with all its delicious secrets but nooooo we cant do that. Heaven forbid we keep a secret or have any surprises to market the game with. QA could have been for testing systems without giving them away to the world so we could have that awesome release but nooooo let's not do that. It's so frustrating to watch. Sheesh after that rant I have a sad song on my mind. Piece by Piece by Kelly Clarkson. Enjoy! Will add in a moment since I'm on my phone.
    Piece by piece this game is happening. Imo not always a great thing. I want the surprises and if you don't then do QA. Give us the big deal. This game deserves surprises and greatness.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  11. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Are they supposed to hit so hard? I have beefy tamed pets with 3.4k hit points, 130 in hide toughness and 100 spec and I've seen hits for 1.5k+. Pointless going in at the moment.

Luno likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.