1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Treasure hunting is coming. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by majoria70, Jun 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

Cassandra Corax and Anpu like this.
  2. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I just hope there is some lower end thought or outside combat thinking in the implementation. not many of us armed to the teeth and in it for something else to grind.

I dont mind the reward, I'd just like to have a reason to explore and figure something out or enjoy the process, if there's a map with tough mobs every time that would be disappointing.

Remember! the more gameplay loops for all the better, not just something for high tier folks. Maybe a catagory of maps where you dont have any new scenes and you dig at a position for a simple roll chance. (balanced of course)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Anpu and majoria70 like this.
  3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I’m kinda hoping this will possibly be like the essence thing. In that instead of the horrible lottery like loot, the essence drops at least give you some sense of progression. Could probably find Torn Pages of a Treasure Map and finally combine them. Or something similar.

majoria70 likes this.
  4. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Actually, it would be funny if we could supply notes to slip into the treasure loot tables.
    Great way to start an adventure... or supply interesting messages like you find when going on RL geocaching adventures.

Ysold and majoria70 like this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I think this system will be finished. It is a basic and easy system to implement based on the UO style.

- find parts of a map (or a whole map)
    - dig at the correct spot
    - optional - monsters spring up instead.
    - get chest contents

Add in a message in a bottle to the map parts and bam second system complete.

6. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Another idea for treasure hunting:

No maps - a chest appears in a random zone. When a player enters that zone, he/she gets a message. If the player has no treasure hunting skill, that's all they get. But if the player has treasure hunting skill, a wisp appears (I love wisps!) to lead them to the treasure. But at low skill level, the wisp appears only for a short while and not very often and perhaps only gives a general direction (one of the cardinal points, perhaps). The higher the skill, the better the wisp will lead them to the treasure.
    Once the chest is looted, it disappears and another message is sent in the zone. That's bad luck for other players in the same zone, but necessary, I think, to avoid abuse by 'Teleport to friend'-scrolls.

Not sure if this would work out for a group - although I have visions of flocks of wisps all pointing in slightly different directions :) But it's probably better if the wisp is only visible to it's own treasure hunter. Looting should be by the normal group rules, although the loot should be better or more items than for a solo-hunter.

I'll try to keep the ideas coming,
    Ysold.

majoria70 likes this.
  7. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Here a nice idea that is realisable:

8. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Id like to see a turn based combat system when entering treasure map instance . A game within a game .... tiles to be discovered with chests or rare creature spawns that drop rare components when defeated...or very rare ore ...

[​IMG]

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hey I just had another thought as well as a desire for message in a bottles spawning in our world. It would be awesome if occasionly a skull and cross bones spawned across the world that you find. If you click on the scull part a digging animation starts and you dig up something. You can tell I've been replaying The Gothic series. I love details like this in a game. @Elgarion please make note of players ideas for the world of treasure hunting in this game. Thanks as always.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

different tiers of treasure chests spawn a different looking treasure chest so you will know by looking which tier chest it is. Details are important. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not these cartoony treasure chests but as an example and for ideas ;)

One day right? *crosses fingers*
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I enjoyed treasure hunting in UO. But here, I cannot get excited about treasure hunting simply because I already know the "treasure" will be meaningless. 15 gold, 2 corpse wax and a rusty sword. Hate to be so negative, but after looting mobs in the new scenes it is obvious that someone is oblivious.

11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

OK so what's your ideas? List some things like what would be good loot for our treasure hunting? What details would make it fun and satisfying? Thats the point of this thread to point the direction of treasure hunting and the game in better directions. If we don't mention we have no chance to be heard. We need to stand up and be heard.

12. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Well, you could have unique clothing and armor. Not necessarily great stats, but unique style or sets, perhaps masterworkable by a skilled crafter. Named weapons, COTO, savage handles, special foods, rare maps, mini quests, the sky is the limit!

Anpu and majoria70 like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's great to pass about ideas but we all know from history that they will just do the easy thing and, even then, it will likely never be complete.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  14. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

It's going to take 4 hrs to find a treasure chest and in the chest will be...360 gold a rusty spoon, some gem fragments and a couple regs. ;)

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Lol well let''s hope not. How about give us some ideas of what good loot looks like for treasure hunting and the game. Now that will help this thread imo.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I agree it is so frustrating waiting, wishing, and hoping with all your heart that this won't be the case but still if we stop trying then there is zero chance at all. If there is a current thread on a subject with many ideas at the time that system is coming in and the Devs grab those ideas to make the system more of what players are asking for then that would be awesome. So my suggestion is instead of negative comments just give your ideas along with them if you need to. Just saying they won't do it and not voicing your ideas is counter productive and not fully constructive, well IMO.

I am not saying I don't agree that is a practice during this games development to not get many things fully completed or done without taking the easiest way out but still as much as I've tried to walk away there is still so much in place in this game that could be improved upon that I still wanted to give it a try. I also did do a shout-out to @Elgarion so he can pull up current ideas on this since I did hear @Chris say he still needs to think on it some more after hearing some thoughts. Well let's give him lots of thoughts guys.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I just think it's sad that I've put so much into this game (money, time, hope...) and it's gotten to the point where they now completely ignore my bug reports, no matter how much effort and detail I put into them. I've pretty much given up.

18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Here is treasure hunting in Final Fantasy XIV for ideas. :)

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm sorry for all that. I do understand truly but you need to go to @Elgarion about this. Please consider contributing your ideas. I know you have great ideas too.

edited to make clearer that I do understand.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  20. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I'll link this to the team again as a reminder there's good ideas to pull from. Thanks @majoria70 :)

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.