Old guy in a new world

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Gnitch D'Vonelle, Jul 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gnitch D'Vonelle

Gnitch D'Vonelle Avatar

I read about Shroud of the Avatar a while back . It was more of a concept, a work in progress at that time... so it fell off my game radar. Many games have been played and shelved/deleted since that day and I now find myself standing in Novia.

Britannia will always hold a special place in my heart. I spent countless hours laughing, adventuring and dead amongst friends in Ultima Online. To see it, many years later...re-imagined and redesigned...fills me with nostalgia and happiness.

I've played SOTA for a few hours now and, sadly, have only seen a handful of players. I'm going to adventure on and hopefully meet a few friendly folks along the way. Perhaps the bigger cities will present me with the opportunities for new friends.

If you see me in game, give me a /wave,
    Gnitch

2. Kaizen Strava

Kaizen Strava Avatar

G mornin Gnitch and well met. We have similar paths, you and I. I have now put about 2 years total into this re-imagined UO and I have found some of what once was. I think you will find this game to be robust in a lot of areas and fun with only your imagination stopping you from whatever you want to do today in this game. put some time in Friend me in-game and while this does not have an impressive population, it is time well spent for my gaming experience.

3. Gnitch D'Vonelle

Gnitch D'Vonelle Avatar

Thanks Kaizen.

4. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Greetings Gnitch. I also have a similar history with 14 years in UO and time well spent helping build Stratics into a tool for the community. I agree that the population here is smaller, but it is growing. When you are in a scene, you can hit the zero key on your numeric keypad to see if other players are in the scene with you. You can also type /z to enter zone-chat to talk with them from across the scene. Some to play in private mode when adventuring, but the cities all are open-mode only so that's where you'll likely find more people.

Also, hitting the Control-F keys will bring up a "looking for group" menu. Many of these are players gathering for high-end content, but you'll also often see groups for mentoring - which might be a good place to meet people as well.

Of course, joining a guild is a good way to get to know some people and find hunting friends, etc. If you post your general times online, and preferred play-style, (PVM, PVE, PVP, Crafting, RP, Etc.) you can get other responses here from like-minded people who you might want to get to know.

Lastly, feel free to send out Friend Invites all around. You'll find that many (Most) players are very helpful and it's also a good way to get to know people.

Welcome home.

5. Gnitch D'Vonelle

Gnitch D'Vonelle Avatar

Stratics....I remember it well. Thanks for that. Thanks for the tips. They are much appreciated.

I went to the guild forum to post and encountered an error. I put it in a separate post in this forum...hoping for help. Once it's resolved, I will start the task of finding the right guild.

See you in game!

6. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Hi Gnitch and welcome!

It's good to find another UO veteran on board. Don't we all secretly long for the old game?
    You'll find plenty to remind you of the old days, and much more! I've been playing only 2 months, so I'm still learning every day and discovering new things too. And got a lot of help on these forums too (thanks again, folks)!

Have fun,
    Ysold.

7. Estraven

Estraven Avatar

Welcome Gnitch! Played a lot of UO myself... I am 2 weeks into it myself and still enjoying it immensely. Made my own armor last night, quite rewarding.. See you around!

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome @Gnitch D'Vonelle . I also played UO and had a lot of fun for some years. I'm Majoria in game if I can help.

9. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Welcome to Shroud of the Avatar - where the path of the Avatar is a curious and interesting one, and the opinions you meet aplenty.

10. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Welcome to New Britannia! :)

11. MaverickJesterX

MaverickJesterX Avatar

Hi, it is very much the same for me. Long time UO player and even when I went to other games most of the people I played UO with also went to those other games. I have made friends in this game from time to time but then they are gone. Player interaction is a huge facture. I can play this game for hours by myself and have a lot of fun. But to keep me coming back time and time again, its difficult. I first registered in 2014 and started playing shortly after that. I am not installing the game again after being away for about 9 months. What people write in this thread is encouraging. At least enough for me to give it a go again. I hope to see you all in game.

Elgarion and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.