Sorry but: With that performance? UNPLAYABLE! =>> Solved with Build Number 1253- July 18th, 4:00PM

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Jupiter8, Jul 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jupiter8

Jupiter8 Avatar

Sorry but: With that performance? UNPLAYABLE!

One thing in advance: I am a loyal and long-time fan of SotA.
    I am also a fan of Richard and his fantastic Ultima series. At the time, I bought a new computer and a Voodoo5 graphics card for Ultima IX and was just thrilled.

I am also a fan of the great SotA team.

I was also a SotA fan until the last update.

I made it to Baron 3 Pledge Tier. Plus lots of add-ons…. x.xxxx, xx dollars

But now I want to give constructive feedback in good time with an appeal.

SoTA has become absolutely unplayable for me since the last patch. Instead of 50-60 FPS, I only have 10-15 FPS. What shoud that ? What did you do with this game? What are test servers for?

I don't need performance guides, I need a reasonably programmed game!

Therefore my appeal:
    - Give me back my nice game!
    - Leave everything behind and just take care of the performance!
    - Roll back to an old version if necessary! (have the courage)
    - The problem is an absolute show stopper!
    - With this performance, the game comes off my hard drive for the first time since the first version!

Please accept this criticism! She is from a real fan.

Best regards

Jupiter Eight
    Baron

2. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Yeah performance is a show stopper. People with 2080ti's and Titan's are getting bad performance and the leading theory is it a garbage collection issue. This occurs with all the settings turned down as far as they will go.

I am at the point that if someone says "turn down the detail settings" one more time I'm going to reach through the internet and turn off their PC.

There are too many people abiding this performance drop and not enough people speaking up. They have become accustomed to restarting their game client every hour or so, sometimes completely restarting the computer resets performance only to degrade again within the hour.

There is no excuse for a $2000 GPU to run so poorly.

3. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Sadly I have to echo the same. Performance has been a key factor in my gradual backpedal from Sota. We always hear performance is being improved but it seems things are taking longer to load, both load screens and containers, banks, vendors. Hitching is back. FPS is lower than ever - even getting the game to launch and close can take unreasonably long. We've got 4 computers in this house that "could" run Sota (we've upgraded over the years) and the oldest of the lot, that we played Sota on back in the beginning with no serious issues, can't run it at all now. When I've posted many of these issues on bug forum the general sentiment "oh, it must be your hardware." Unfortunately, I find it difficult to believe that all systems I try to play Sota on have simultaneously developed unrelated issus that affect Sota and nothing else ( newer, far more 'intensive' games run fine). For a good 6 month stretch, Sota was causing complete system freeze/crash (although that got fixed). Now its just slow and clunky.

Now the question is why is this the case? It worked before, what changed? With all the 'performance tweaks' why are we worse off than before? While performance isn't the only reason I've stepped back from the game, its certainly a contributing factor - if you're already unmotivated, 10 mins of fighting with the game getting it to launch and load is a strong deterrent.

4. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

could be new Unity version issues, Hodl folks! haha

the Lacedaemonian likes this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

We aren’t using a new Unity version though.

Live is still using 2018.4.19f1.

Most of these issues seem to have happened when they tried to add GPU Occlusion.....

the Lacedaemonian and Feeyo like this.
  6. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

I remember 2 months triing to get the voodoo5 5500 working properly with 3d acceleration. Good times!
    Jokes aside: same boat, performances are terrible

the Lacedaemonian and Cordelayne like this.
  7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Great question Shim and one we will probably never know! It doesn't matter how old your PC is or how OP it might be, the game is just really poorly optimized.

In fact, I just rebuilt my entire desktop rig with specs WAY beyond what would be necessary for a game like SotA and I still have hitching issues. Especially in major crafting towns, where a turn of an alley can go from 60 fps to 10 fps, in the drop of a hat. It's simply absurd.

I'm running a Intel Core i9-10980XE on a MSI Creator X299 motherboard, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX ram, 2TB Samsung 860 PRO SSD with two SLI NVLink Dual GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB graphics cards! WHAT?!

Why in the Guardian's name am I havIng any issues whatsoever?

8. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yes, and also since someone started about the GUI being the problem of the LAG. Since then Chris started working on the GUI and everything started falling apart.
    Have you checked test server for some weeks?? It was horrible.

Then again, sometimes some performance "improvements" in theory should improve, but in reality when implemented badly will kick you in the face.

9. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

It's been the same for me for a while now on 2 different computers (1080ti and 2080 super). At one point it crashed my computer the performance became so bad. I get about 30-60 minutes out of it before I need to quit out and restart the game. Horrible.

10. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

A weird solution i use atm is to disable ingame UI while keep using Sotainfo and Amalgamate LUAs on to get my status health/focus and target/ grp wise. There is another LUA tool for buffs but only for air builds. Cranky but a lot of fps

the Lacedaemonian and Feeyo like this.
  11. Jupiter8

Jupiter8 Avatar

In the past there were problems with games "interlacing". The current problem of SotA reminds me of this. As if the graphics card (with me 1080 GTX) can not synchronize correctly. I have the impression that the graphics card has to calculate everything twice and three times.

Perhaps all new areas of land have to be included in the calculation immediately. Maybe only the regions have to be delimited accordingly, so that not everything always has to be calculated completely.

But these are just thoughts of an IT amateur

Jupiter Eight

12. Jupiter8

Jupiter8 Avatar

With "Build Number 1253- July 18th, 4:00PM" ist much better for me !
    So i can say: Thanks for patching !

the Lacedaemonian and Net like this.
  13. Jupiter8

Jupiter8 Avatar

So i am Back in Elad`s Lighthouse

14. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Same for me. performance sucks. I crash daily and after an hour or so fbs tanks. It always cracks me up when they try to tell me MY pc is the problem, not the poorly optimized game...... Oh well, we shall see what the future holds.

15. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Are we talking about this version? If not, let's get it ;)

If it is still this version, we should ask the people behind this given information ...

16. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I’d bet a COTO it’s a result of the increased party size and how bard skills are being applied and the “tick rate” - that’s when the hitching and FPS took a big nosedive

Net, the Lacedaemonian and Anpu like this.
  17. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Hey peeps, it could be worse.... LOTR ftp is what I have been playing now, till this game gets to be fun for me, which it isn't, and their servers have been hit hard by something, they have been having issues keeping them up and running for 4 days now.... so count your blessing hehehe at least you can log in. :)

18. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Cloudflare DNS issue related probabky?

Net and the Lacedaemonian like this.
  19. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

These issues can be worked around. It's not a catastrophe to accept help. Aoitheblue (I think I remembered his name correctly) has insights about Unity and his opinions should not be dismissed out hand without a real attempt at fixing the performance. The User Interface as a single, neatly contained "entity" may not be "the issue, stand-alone".

Focus on capturing what the hitching is. The frame skipping occurs within 1 minute of logging in to even the simplest scene. I suggest Novia. The frame-dropping/skipping feels roughly like 1 out of 10, marginally more, consistently, and often in streaks of 2-6 frames.

Whatever is causing that is SURELY contributing to all performance problems on all systems, regardless of latency.

Please accept help on this, Aoi may not be an insider but he can certainly describe what we are all experiencing with hitching, FPS drops, regressions, etc. No amount of system power can make the game stay playable for very long or even at all. Shroud needs to get this solved and US PLAYERS need to help get this done (by speaking up and helping test)... or we may as well just give up.

If there's no way to have an enjoyable experience without umpteen caveats, apologies, and explanations... my question is what would it take for performance to be issue number one?? No one will stay if 10 fps regression becomes the norm.

It kind of already is.

WE WANT TO HELP.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  20. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

He has been posting a lot of good info since he started posting on the forums, but like always the devs just ignore it. Been there, done that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.