1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Please, make experience pools shared between characters

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Ysold, Jul 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

I read that the experience pools used to be shared, but that changed earlier this year. I can't think why....
    Everything between characters on one account is shared - money, bank, housing, rights, known recipes, even reputation (!) - but not experience pools.
    I find that very inconvenient, especially for crafting. I have 3 characters and all three gather materials while adventuring and gathering is the major source of crafting experience. But I have only one crafter and crafting is a major sink for crafting experience. The result is that I have 2 characters with a huge crafting experience pool and one who is always starved for experience points. I would very much like to use all experience points for crafting. Does it really matter which of my characters went through the trouble of doing the gathering and earning the experience points?

(Out of curiosity, what was the reason to split the experience pools in the first place?)

Thanks,
    Ysold.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

3. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I stopped supporting the game after this change (to separate exp pools).

Im guessing, based on lack of replies to this, that nothing major has happened with crafting to alleviate the problem of: to be a crafter, one must primarily be an adventurer/fighter.

Ill check back in a few more releases and see if crafters are actually playable!

Ysold, Violet Ronso and FrostII like this.
  4. Toular

Toular Avatar

I gain a ton of crafting experience from salvage. Buy ragged leather and rusty armor items from other players and lock down the relevant skills, then salvage away. You can also gain crafting exp from harvesting in a "Dog" or "Stag" encounter - avoid the bears in the Stag encounter if there are any. Can also get free garlic and occasionally serpent scales if it's a plains encounter. Free wood too, and experience for all of it.

And, of course if a crafting skill is locked you will gain experience from crafting with it.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Salvage used to give zero experience. When did this change?

6. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

That is a lot of salvaging. It's 0-8 or so depending upon what's being salvaged.

Barugon likes this.
  7. Toular

Toular Avatar

I get a lot from Mining, but of course that does tend to require adventuring skills.

My current crafting pool is sitting at 10.6 million *and* I'm working on carpentry masterwork at 102. I'm currently smelting silver and am getting 500 per ingot. All smelting skills are locked.

Okay, you're right on the salvage exp. It is much smaller than I thought ... Just salvaged a ragged leather glove and got 5 and the same for a shoddy short bow.

However, I got 800 exp from harvesting a cotton in a bandit encounter. A "dog" encounter is the same tier so exp there is the same. Also 800 exp for harvesting a pine tree. and that wasn't counting the meticulous I got on the cotton bush.

I guess it's the mining that is so experience-rich.
    And the butchering. 100 experience for butchering a rabbit (50 without the x2 exp)

Because I can never have enough shelves, I checked the experience for making one with carpentry locked and got 6,000
    Just sayin' crafting experience can be gained by doing crafting. And harvesting.

8. Curt

Curt Avatar

Originally was experience pools not shared but around 1? year ago they become shared. A thing I consider a big mistake that took away any desire from me to have more than one char
    It's good they returned to the original plan but wish they never even made this experiment.

I don't remember a time when salvaging gave zero experience.

9. oplek

oplek Avatar

Seems to be a divisive issue. I remember Weins quit last year when it was even indicated it was going in. You know, before that employee went rogue and implemented it without asking anyone.

Net likes this.
  10. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I did actually enjoy playing either one of my characters (I have 3 with each of the 3 different melee skills), so it was actually fun playing with either one and just building up my pool however I wished. Sadly now I won’t probably play with them ever again.....

But I do completely get that delete and repeat quests is a problem obviously (with a shared pool).

Ysold and Net like this.
  12. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I haven't been active for a while and didn't know about this issue and about Weins quitting. I wish I hadn't seen this post today, now I'm sad. :(

Paladin Michael and Net like this.
  13. Ysold

Ysold Avatar

Thanks, @Alley Oop , for that bit of information. Such a pity that the lot of us have to suffer from a few abusers... However, that would be another way to solve it. Because for the normal player, I can't think of a reason to delete a character, unless you don't like the name or the appearance of the character. Make it so, that a character can be deleted normally the first time, but every next deletion in the slot gives a 10-day delay before that character can be created again.

Kara Brae and Anpu like this.
  14. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

That is an interesting approach. It is a shame that we have to think up ways to block exploiting that effect everyone. Since the very beginning it seems that all the worst (least popular) mechanics were introduced to counter exploiters. The game would be more fun for the vast majority of users if all players were willing to play fair. I reject the argument: "If it is possible, it is allowed".

Net likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is a good solution. I think that ESO does something similar.

I championed the shared pool before it was implemented. Unfortunately, I don't think that they'll re-implement it since @Chris is so opposed to it.

Anpu and Ysold like this.
  16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I also like the 10 day option, but many people could still run through (and actually complete) the Chapter 1 main quest and outskirts areas every 10 days.

Just some other solution would be needed. And I can see why Chris won’t.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.