1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugsā€¦ QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Pet NPC cannot follow across unclaimed lots or in to/out of lots that are open to me.

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by Bodhbh Dearg, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

07/16/2020 11:59
    Title: Pet NPC cannot follow across unclaimed lots or in to/out of lots that are open to me.

Reproduction Rate:100%

Blocker? Nah, but it *is* rather irritating!

Details:When I have my clockwork dragon following me (didn't test with others yet!) it will not follow me outside when I enter or leave a building (like the Oracle Confirmatory) or a lot (wether it is claimed or not, it just tries to find it's way around it as I cross). It won't even follow me on to my own lot, unless I tell it to teleport in... But then it won't follow me off again...
    Steps to Reproduce:Walk around Port Phoenix (again, not tested in other towns yet) with the pet following you, and it'll clearly try to navigate around unclaimed lots. Enter publicly accessible lots, and it'll stay outside. Teleport it in, and it won't leave...

User Specs:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (16) System RAM: 32700
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GPU RAM: 8079

SotA.Win.64.1251.Date.07.07.20

Area: POT_swamp_metropolis_01_template/Port Phoenix
    Area Display Name: Port Phoenix
    Loc: (124.4, 38.7, 32.0)

Debug: UE9UX3N3YW1wX21ldHJvcG9saXNfMDFfdGVtcGxhdGV8UG9ydCBQaG9lbml4fCgxMjQuNDI0LCAzOC42NSwgMzEuOTk0KXwoMCwgMCwgMCwgMSl8LTExNzkuOTk0fDMuNzE5OTQyfDE4

2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Lot navigation is really tricky. Here's my understanding of how they work.

The scene/Town has a big navigation grid across the whole scene. Sometimes we call that grid the navmesh. The navmesh is "staic" in that we generate it once and it doesn't change unless we manually regenerate it. NPCs need that navmesh to be able to walk around. (Player characters also need it when the computer takes control of your character, like when you sit on a chair or lie down on a bed.)

Each lot has its own "local" navmesh which can change depending on what exists in that lot, namely the type of house. There are several points on the local navmesh that act as "bridges" to the scene's main navmesh. When an NPC is able to walk on and off your lot, he does so only at a navmesh "bridge." That's why you'll see an NPC go a bit out of the way when going on and off a lot, because they need to cross over at the "bridge."

There are objects (some decorations, doors, deep water, and more) that have an "NPCs can't go here" quality to them. Usually that quality is very tight to the shape of the object, but in some cases (like doors) that "no walk" area needs to be bigger than the objects itself).

Sometimes the "bridge" gets blocked. It's possible the navmesh needs to be regenerated, but it's also possible that there are objects with a large "NPCs can't go here" quality too close to the nearest "bridge" and thereby blocking it. If the NPC following you has a lot of trouble doing so, possibly because a navmesh "bridge" is blocked, it may decide to cancel the following attempt and teleport to you.

With all that in mind, I think there's a good chance you're pets aren't following you across lots because the navmesh is blocked or otherwise too complicated from decorations placed in ways that make the navmesh "bridges" nonviable (or significantly less viable than teleporting to you). If you're in control of the lot where you mostly have these problem, try moving some decorations away from the edge of your POT and see if that changes anything with pet following. (You may need to restart the scene for best effect.)

Alley Oop and Anpu like this.
  3. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

The thing is that when I run across a large swath of EMPTY, UNCLAIMED (but partially reserved) lots, the pets (I now tested with a Blood Raven and a Dragon Automaton on 2 different characters) only follow the little alleyways between these lots...

They also were able to follow me in/out of my lot before, and nothing major changed on those lots since. (I removed a turkey statue, but that is about the extent of changes)

So yeah, perhaps the navmesh *is* screwed up for Port Phoenix?