1. This forum is for bug reporting of current Live Game Server issues ONLY.
    Be sure to follow the format below, it will help us out greatly in responding. If you do not, your report may not be entered into the system.

Read BEFORE submitting your first bug: Reporting Bugs… QA 101 Document
    • Search for your bug in all likely categories before posting in order to avoid duplicate reports.
    • Be sure to provide details of what the issue is and how to re-produce it, but keep your bug report factual.
    • Only report oneissue per thread, additional issues may be ignored.
    • Do not add, include or modify the thread moderator tags in the title of the thread. (indicators in the [])
    • Reply to an existing thread if you have additional information for the reported bug.
      Do not use this forum for commentary, your post will be deleted and you may be moderated, suspended or banned if the activity continues.
    • There is no need to submit crash logs. Crash data we require is automatically logged.
    NOTE: Important information including your location and system specs are automatically put into your clipboard when using /bug in the game (DO NOT add additional system specs unless requested). When starting your post, just use <CTRL>-V to insert the data and fill in the entries with no data.

Please include Screenshots if possible. Images can be saved on our SotA Discord Server here

If the clipboard does not work, use and fill in this Bug Report Template:
    1. Title:
    2. Reproducible?
    3. Blocker?
    4. Details:
    5. Steps to Reproduce:
    6. User Specs: (RAM, CPU, GPU and Operating System only)
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Fixed] Conversation with Oracle aborted with no reason

Discussion in '*** Bug Report Archive (After R75) ***' started by Kliirkast, Jul 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kliirkast

Kliirkast Localization Team

07/16/2020 11:59
    Title: Conversation with Oracle aborted with no reason
    Reproduction Rate: about 1/6 a day
    Blocker? no
    Details: When I log on, I do it in an Oracle confirmatory (in Ordinis Mortis). I talk to the Oracle about the <test>. Often, after asking me if I stay on the path of virtues, the dialog window fades and so I'm unable to answer "yes", and therefore no XP reward for me !
    Note that the chat windows appears at this moment so it's maybe related. As I am aware of the problem I am careful not to click elsewhere.
    Steps to Reproduce: Difficult to know what causes the issue
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16334
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU RAM: 4043
    SotA.Win.64.1251.Date.07.07.20
    Area: POT_grassland_metropolis_01_template/Ordinis Mortis
    Area Display Name: Ordinis Mortis
    Loc: (160.7, 36.2, -170.9)
    Debug: UE9UX2dyYXNzbGFuZF9tZXRyb3BvbGlzXzAxX3RlbXBsYXRlfE9yZGluaXMgTW9ydGlzfCgxNjAuNjk5LCAzNi4xODcsIC0xNzAuOTA3KXwoMCwgMC45NjQsIDAsIDAuMjY2KXwxNTAuMDcyNXwxMHwxLjY2ODE1

2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I'm a little confused, so I have a question for you.

First, I want to make sure we're talking about the same thing. We have two types of chat windows. The first type is the "normal chat window" that you have when you converse with players, which fades out when it's gone unused for a few moments. The second type is the "NPC chat window" which appears when you're having a special conversation with a non-player character, and this chat window isn't supposed to fade.

When you're talking with the Oracle, you mention the chat window fading. This says to me that you're chatting with the "normal chat window" the whole time. Is is correct to say that the "NPC chat window" style of chat never appears for you when you're in your conversation with the Oracle? The part that is extra confusing to me is you say "the chat windows appears at this moment" but you were already chatting, so I want to be clear on which chat window type is active at what time during your conversation.

Anpu likes this.
  3. Kliirkast

Sorry for being not very clear, I'll try to be more precise.
    When I start talking to the Oracle, sometimes the "normal chat windows" is there, sometimes it is not, depending of several different causes (guild message, Oracle greetings, someone talking to me, etc...).
    Talking to the Oracle pops the "NPC chat window", and when I click on the Test keyword usually the conversation goes on, allowing me to click Yes and receive the rewards (XP and gold), but sometimes this "NPC chat window" fades out before I can answer "Yes", like if I had aborted the dialog. I noticed that when this occurs the "normal chat windows" comes up, regardless of its previous status before starting the NPC dialog with the Oracle.

Example of the problem hereunder, pasted from the Chat Log file.

Starting dialog with Oracle, "NPC chat window" appears
    [16-07-20 11:56:39] [11:56] The Oracle: Yes, hello, Justine Time. Do you seek my counsel on the path before you? Perhaps you are here regarding my protection? I can also test you on your knowledge of yourself, if you so wish.
    [16-07-20 11:56:39]
    [16-07-20 11:56:42] [11:56] Justine Time: test
    [16-07-20 11:56:42] [11:56] The Oracle: I have observed your actions while walking along the Path of Truth. Do you feel your actions demonstrate how to live according to the Virtue of Truth? Simply respond 'Yes I do', or 'No I do not'.
    [16-07-20 11:56:42]
    Pouf! the "NPC chat window" is gone (I've done nothing and didn't receive any Farewell from the Oracle)
    [16-07-20 11:56:44] [11:56] Guild Daily Message: Smile! There could be 3 feet of snow on the ground.
    Retrying, although I know it's useless
    [16-07-20 11:57:03] [11:57] The Oracle: Yes, hello, Justine Time. Do you seek my counsel on the path before you? Perhaps you are here regarding my protection? I can also test you on your knowledge of yourself, if you so wish.
    [16-07-20 11:57:03]
    [16-07-20 11:57:08] [11:57] Justine Time: test
    [16-07-20 11:57:08] [11:57] The Oracle: It has been too soon since you last took my test. Please return again later that you may test yourself.
    [16-07-20 11:57:08]
    Exiting the NPC Chat window normally
    [16-07-20 11:57:11] [11:57] Justine Time: Goodbye
    [16-07-20 11:57:11] [11:57] The Oracle: Farewell, Justine Time. Please see me again within a week.
    … and receiving the normal answer
    [16-07-20 11:57:11]

Hope this helps,

J from B.

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
  4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah unfortunately the test is only tied to you speaking test one time a day. It never checks if you were able to actually complete it once a day....

Kliirkast likes this.
  5. Sannio

Thanks for all the extra info. I'm going to need a programmer to look into this. Issue #67313

Kliirkast and Anpu like this.
  6. Kliirkast

Thank you.
    Please also note that this is not new. I encountered this for several months now (yes, I know, I'm lazy…) but for some reason I've had the feeling (maybe false) that it occurs more often lately.

J from B.

7. Sannio

We're reworking the Oracle's daily test to only flag it as complete when it's done, not when you start. In the future, if a disruption happens in the middle you'll be able to start over.

Also, I've been thinking about why the disruption happened in the first place. In case it's relevant, I'll mention that NPCs, including pets, that enter an Oracle confirmatory can be a problem. If they move between you and the Oracle, there's a chance that action can force your conversation with the Oracle to drop. Also, if you're on the doorway during the conversation and the door closes on you, that can also kill the conversation because you no longer have line-of-sight to the Oracle. Just a couple of things to keep in mind.

8. Kliirkast

Actually it is very well possible that fellow guildmates or players, entering or exiting the confirmatory while I'm talking to the Oracle, are causing the problem…
    Thanks for the info, I'll keep this in mind.

Take care,
    J from B

9. Sannio

Yes, other players blocking line-of-sight between you and the Oracle also could be the source of the conversation interruptions.

10. Kliirkast

Great !
    I've tested this bug today, pressing <ESC> after her question about my knowledge of myself, thus exiting the dialog before answering <YES> or <NO> and I was able to re-pass the test and answering, getting the reward.
    I made the same with another character, exiting the dialog with <Goodbye> after her question and I was also able to re-pass the test and answering, getting the reward too.

Problem solved.

Take care,
    J from B.

Anpu likes this.
  11. Sannio

Awesome! Thanks so much for the update! Because the test had a big re-work, I admit I was a little nervous but am grateful for your confirmation that it works correctly. :)

Anpu and Alley Oop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.