Help getting back into game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HermitFromPluto, Jul 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

Just wanted some tips to give this game another shot.

I was a Citizen Founder in the original Kickstarter and with add-ons spent around $600, the most I have spent on any game ever. I remember the excitement when we could finally grab our plots. I had raced up to Spite and got the plot I wanted. I played quite a bit around the time (must be four or five years ago now!) but remember hitting a skill ceiling, being confused what to do and being stuck with the quest and journal system.

Even though I stopped playing, I logged in every few months just to check my account was still active and see the developments in the game. Now with the events of the past year, I have had a big gap. Just logged back in, found the lot expired (event though I am founder and thought I had it in perpetuity), and the same old quests I was stuck on, on the left side of the screen. Spite seemed almost abandoned.

Probably a lot has changed and I should start again. Would appreciate some tips on how to get back into the game, where to start etc. I suppose I can reclaim my lot, but maybe I should do it somewhere else now. Any suggestions? Are there any useful articles on the state of the game? Is it a finished product now? Thanks.

2. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

Welcome Back Hermit!

My first plot was also in Spite on the lake with the waterfall in the distance. I still have it and visit from time to time but you are correct, Spite has far fewer residents than when we started.

All lots, regardless of pledge level, expire after a certain number of days but the good news is that all your possessions are now in your bank account.

I recommend starting the game again fresh. Go to Solace Bridge (which was changed since you were last there) and then go to Solace Bridge Outskirts. Complete the main quest in the Outskirts and you'll get a free taxed POT row lot deed (to add to your other deed). You can then go to Soltown and speak to Arabella to get started on the main questline again. By that time you should have more recommendations on what to do next.

When you are ready to place your lot and home, there are many open lots in both NPC and player owned towns. You are welcome to find your home in the Outlander Welcome Center (OWC) if you like. The OWC is next to Soltown and was established to assist new arrivals learn more about New Britannia in an immersive way. Many new arrivals start their first home there and some move on to other guild or market towns as they get settled in.

So much has changed you should probably just look at the old release notes here on the forum to see all the new things added. Unfortunately, the quest system still needs more work but they make some progress every month fixing quest bugs. The overall system is still problematic and maps are currently being reworked as well. Overall, there are many fun things to do and while the pandemic is going on, there is 2x XP!

Lastly, what is your in-game name so others can connect with you?

Cheers,
    JkB

Time Lord, Rentier, Ravenscar and 2 others like this.
  3. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

Thanks for the nice reply. OK. I will follow your advice. I'll abandon my plot in Spite after 5 years! And see if I can start again at Solace Bridge. Can you have more than one character? My online name is Hermit Plutonis. I used to have a lighthouse and water plot in Spite.

(Edit) Ah. I see. You can have up to 3 characters with different names. I'll create a new one. How does that work? Do they share inventory?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  4. shadowvice

shadowvice Avatar

In addition to the great advice that Bayard provided, be sure to check out the discord channel https://discord.gg/shroudoftheavatar for additional resources to help you along your journey.

In addition to the people that can assist you through Discrod, here, or online, feel free to reach out to my character as well if you need assistance (Maykie Antear).

Welcome Back!!

Time Lord, FrostII and Elgarion like this.
  5. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

You don't have to abandon your plot in Spite unless you want to. You will get a row deed for completing the Solace Bridge Outskirts quest and can then have another lot on your main character. In fact you can have up to three NPC town lots and unlimited POT lots on the same character. And when you complete the main quest line, you will be awarded a taxed village deed.

Time Lord, FrostII and that_shawn_guy like this.
  6. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Welcome back! :)

Time Lord, Rentier and FrostII like this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

If you character is VERY old, you could use your one time quest reset option. You can also just purchase an additional Character slot. All characters on an Account, share the same Bank, Property, Gold and all have the same Virtue levels.

There's also a list of some significant changes to the game here.

Time Lord and Rentier like this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also you didn't say if you had a lot deed included in your pledge. @Anpu has quest threads to help guide you through if you are interested in questing. You have a one time quest re-set. Sannio is now on charge of quests. He has added some side-quests and there are some dailies. You can find lists. Perhaps @Anpu will list them.

Also travel is easier in the game due to the addition of teleport to zone scrolls. Don't forget to drag to your zone scrolls to your non-combat bar to display locations you have marked. You can't look at them while encumbered. Control key while mousing over a location will give a description of that location.

We have global universe in game chat now so you can ask any questions in game as well. It is /u.

Welcome back to the game. I'm Majoria in game. Whisper if you see me online or send a mail message to me. I accept all friends requests. Have fun and happy journeys.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Time Lord and Rentier like this.
  9. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

Thanks again for all the friendly advice. Yes. It the first and only character I created, so the one time quest reset option sounds good (how do I actually do that?). I played mostly back in 2015 I think.
    Yes. I have a tax free lot deed. I have the title Royal Founder. If I decide to put my house back on my old lot in Spite, is there any way to do it automatically? Or do I need to replace it piece by piece?
    I'll try this coming weekend to re-start my life back in SoTA :)

Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  10. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

11. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings HermitFromPluto
    I was also a Citizen level pledge when I started. This included a village size deed, several houses and cabanas, and 3 character slots. When yo enter your name and password you are presented with the last character you played or a choice to "Select Avatar". As stated, each character on an account shares bank space and Virtue among other things. Citizen pledge also included access to all 5 Games (EP1 to EP5) as they are released. There are boats in several locations that will take you to the new lands of Mistrendur which does not show up on the world map yet. There are many Player Owned Towns there so you may want to increase your lot placement search after you have gained some skill levels. Here is a post that came out when Mistrendur land rush happened. It has a map of POTs that have already been established. Mistrendur land rush If I can be of any help please PM me here or whisper me in game. The name is Warrior B'Patrick. Good luck and have fun.

Time Lord, FrostII and shadowvice like this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Welcome back @HermitFromPluto ;)

Rinaldi has a nice list of resources for answers to tons of questions you will have - here.
    @Elgarion also has put together another list, and he will post it here for ya.

I sent you a "Friend Invite" ingame, I'm Robert Frost.
    You're welcome to "whisper" to me anytime, for any questions I might be able to answer or for assistance.

Have fun !

Time Lord likes this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

We have property manager to save your house that is decorated in for the future but for this time you'll have to start from scratch. Just go to a lot stone or lot sign in sprite or where you want to live and click on it and select claim. You must have your lot deed in your inventory and houses deed too if you have those. Your lot will expire at the amount of days it says once claimed. Just logging into the game will refresh those days and keep you from expiring again.

Don't forget to take the oracles test daily for 500 gold and xp

Also jump in the waters of 2 devotional shrines for long helpful buffs before going to battle. You can also eat 2 different foods for more helpful buffs.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

What list are you looking for?

This one maybe? https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-for-new-and-existing-players.161448/

15. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Re-do the three beginner sites, and the three related Outskirts and three mine areas.
    Solace Bridge, Highvale, and Blood River.
    Great training, lots of xp and gp, as well as good quest loot. Plus once you finish your first Outskirts you get a "free" (taxed) row lot.
    Plenty of POT locations to choose from, and with the Universal Banking, Teleport, and Travel functions, having a central location is no longer absolutely necessary.
    If you find a POT that does not have a lot placed where you would like it to be, contact the POT manager, as they may not have placed any until that is requested.
    So much new stuff since the Founding, I still have not done it all.
    Work your way up in the Instances, there are some that are essentially insta-DEATH just to enter.
    Use the in game Looking For Group function so help build your xp much quicker than you can alone.
    Post yourself on Discord, as you see above, and add avatars in game so you can get the "teleport to friend" function to work.

16. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

Thanks everyone. Will try to get into it today. Two more quick questions. After I claim a plot for my tax free deed again, is it possible to cancel it later and move?
    Also, should I redo the three beginnner sites before doing the quest reset and then do again for the experience?

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Avatar

Yes. You can unclaim and move to another lot and claim it. I suggest using it in the player owned town Soryn Fields, just south of the town Resolute. :)

Yes you should. The 3 outskirts does give decent xp. You can then steamroll it the second time. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  18. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

Many thanks. I'll check out your town at some point. I did enjoy playing again after so long. I am going to have to re-learn much of the game. I'll need to go through the various guides.

Time Lord, Rentier and Nick like this.
  19. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Welcome back, and the bugs from the beginning are still around.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

just a quick note here: if you just unclaim a lot, everything on it will go to your bank and you'll have to set it up again in your new location. that might or might not be fun for you (it is for me, depending on the size of the lot and how complete it was). if you want to save the deco from your lot in place, you can put the whole layout in the property manager first, unclaim, and then place it from the property manager on your new lot. ...but that's only free if you're doing it within the same town (or if the town your lot was on before was destroyed/remade in a template switch). if you're switching towns, it will cost crowns, which may or may not be worth it to you depending on how long it would take you to rebuild it yourself.

Time Lord and Anpu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.