On Upgrading to Unity 2019.4 (from Twitter)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anpu, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

https://twitter.com/catnipgames

Unity 2019.4 is just not going to happen this release or possibly ever if they keep breaking random stuff. I've got a long list of issues that range from license changes that break our machines to random compression issues to random file stomping to a dozen issues where it breaks and the fix is just to touch files to make it reimport it a second time.

Also changes to block the same machine running multiple instances due to a license change breaks our integration and build processes. Then pile on things like changing build names and preventing renaming during the build is just yet another pointless breakage. Then the lovely random ignoring of whether static batching is on to occasionally to create 50gb builds to crush our build machines.

I've spent literally weeks fighting this along with OneAndOnly and it is eating up all my time that could have been used on crafting or Lua improvements or balance. According to friends in similar situations, they are also dealing with this death by a 1000 cuts and not upgrading. I'm putting it aside for while, possibly a long while as it has crippled the project for months.

Going to spend the next few days cramming on new items, some crafting, some balance, and a few new skills. Sorry for the rant but this is beyond frustrating for our team and other teams and all because we are wanting less hitching and crashing in the engine we pay for

:(

Just passing this info along to those who may not use twitter.

Net, Cordelayne, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  2. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Thanks Anpu!
    Some of us can't use social media accounts due to work.

that_shawn_guy and Anpu like this.
  3. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Chris also did a stream later saying the upgrade will be put off, perhaps a skip to a 2020 version, eventually.

4. oplek

oplek Avatar

Probably should be skipping the 2020-version anything.

evillego6 and craftymethod like this.
  5. Toular

Toular Avatar

I downloaded the 2019 version using the link Chris provided during the stream. It ran okay, but did not see any performance improvement - in fact, I was getting about 1/2 the normal frame rate in Celestis. I didn't actually expect to see much improvement since none of the new features afforded by this newer version would be in use. That being said, I would have expected to see a little improvement just due to Unity itself.

One little note, "sota_log.txt" gets created in the "normal" QA install directory, not the directory I ran the 2019 version out of.

Correction ... I'm not actually seeing sota_log.txt getting updated. That was the log from the normal QA version. I should learn to check date stamps.

Also, searched the whole harddrive for sota_log.txt but only found two: the "live" version and the QA. So, it does not appear to be creating a log. Chat log, yes, but not a sota log.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  6. Toular

Toular Avatar

Curious note ... Although frame rate being reported by the /debug command says I'm getting around 1/2 the normal frame rate, it does look and "feel" like it's actually higher than what it says.

I'm running at "Best" and am not noticing any of the usual symptoms of low framerate. I'm hesitant to say what the reported frame rate is because, well ... I suspect that perhaps it's just no accurate.
    Note that a couple of times it reported around 5 frames per second but it very clearly was not anywhere near that low.

7. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Strange that so many other games that use Unity don't seem to suffer such problems with it...

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Like which ones. Just curious...

9. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

Crowfall, Tarkov etc

10. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

It worked fine for Escape from Tarkov. Project Gorgon just implemented it about 10 days ago. They had it on their test server for about a month for players to test and report any issues. I had noticed some issues on my machine and once I posted the information on their test/bug server forums they advised me of some settings I should adjust. Once I adjusted it I noticed no issues and saw some performances increase.

11. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Anyone got the link mentioned in the stream to try it, so I don’t have to go watch it? I missed the first half or so

12. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Echondas likes this.
  13. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Seemed more responsive when I tried it -- the game also quit instantly instead of taking several seconds to un-allocate all the memory or whatever it does.

14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Are those also Dynamic Object based games, like ours us? I just have never played them.

Net likes this.
  15. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I believe the comment about "skipping to 2020 version" was just an fantasy carrot he dangled in front of us, you know, kinda like his 2020 vision statement. He needs to stop speaking words and start taking clear, decisive, high quality, and productive action.

16. dayero

dayero Avatar

the question is what that action might be. I always feared that keeping up with unity versions might turn into a constant race against technical debt if the team size vs. project complexity ratio gets too unfavorable. The only alternative would be to stay at an old unity version, but that doesnt just cut you off from new unity features but eventually from update and support for every plugin you are using.

Astirian likes this.
  17. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

I can only speak for Crowfall, 2019 resolved garbage collection, bad culling alg and popping models, desyncs.
    here the ref for the 2019 garbage collection/culling alg and pipeline rend. atm crowfall QA is on the new 2020 and afaik it's a version way focused on multiplayers/mmos optimization. Better perf.
    Those games dont have such intense housing like sota ofc, so those experiences wont scale here.
    Istant Combact reactiveness perfomance, NO Desync, Huge maps open world circa, triple digit fps.
    Maybe Chris said about skipping the 2019 cause he knows 2020 is better :eek:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Anpu, Feeyo and shika83 like this.
  18. Katu

Katu Avatar

This has been said from the beginning.
    But what about those normal adventure scenes? How much "dynamic objects" matter on there?
    I somehow understand the low performance in towns, there's lots of stuff and its harder to cache stuff, but adventure scenes should run with blazing speed. Not even the random encounters, with tiny map, few mobs, runs smoothly.

Other games might not be as dynamic, but with way WAY better looking graphics, run smoother.

TL;DR;
    Compare random encounter performance to any other unity game and you get the idea.

I bet my a** that they use MonoBehaviours absolutely everywhere. They had to get the game running fast and thats simple to start with and I get it.. However, performance is not so good with em in the long run.

19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Well, I tried running this version and had mixed results. While it loaded the game faster, and I was able to load into Central Britanny in 112 seconds (about half of the normal time), it was just as laggy once in the game. I also noticed that it took NPCs and decorations longer than usual to render; by the time I ran from the docks to the Oracle, she hadn't spawned yet so I had to wait, and could see items popping in from houses as I ran. As noted, it quit instantly so that was nice. So application responsiveness is up, but gameplay not so much.

Echondas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.