1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Compost worthless foods.

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by amarious, Jul 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amarious

amarious Avatar

Going through my account today. Noticed a lot of food that is worthless, just taking up space..came up with an idear..why not give them some use?

Compost bin..let the food sit in there with dirt and whatever it takes to compost for x amount of time then you get FERTLIZER..something that STIL isn't in the game.

idk...idgaf really, just my two kettles calling each other what kettles call each other these days. I hope it's something sweet..like darling-cakes or ketchup-fruit-pie-baby. Meh..

Loaffer, Crowquills, Lazlo and 8 others like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i thought we could donate it to the brit alleys orphans' home, but that works too. be faster with a few worms...

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Sorta along those lines, why is it that 95% of all the meals we can make are (and have been for 5+ years) virtually WORTHLESS ?

4. oplek

oplek Avatar

The big problem I see with most of the food is that it's tiered competitively. Why bother with that cookie that gives you +1 hp/s for 2 minutes when you can get the +5 hp/s for 2 hours?

What'd help is if each food was unique. The fact some are brief isn't itself a problem. Maybe that chilli pepper only lasts 2 minutes, but unlike the others, gives you immunity from fire for that time?

Maybe things like,
    • Fruits and vegetables get bonuses for those who specialize in Earth tree.
    • Coleslaw gets bonuses at night (I don't know why that'd be ... but some food time-related)
    • Soups and stews gives you bonuses in cold zones.
    Improving the food doesn't have to be just increasing all their stats and times across the board.

FrostII and amarious like this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Just been playing an amazing game called Dragon's Dogma. The food system has some interesting things like food spoilage levels that make them useful in various ways. You can also add them to airtight flasks to prevent them from getting to sour or spoiled tier. Anyway that would be too great if a thing to implement but interesting details are so cool in a game.

Sorgin Txakal and amarious like this.
  6. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I like the composting idea. But I also think that making foods available as we get stronger might work too. I get that this is "against how sota works" or whatever (that's never made sense to me) but perhaps if we made it so certain milestones are met before an avatar can eat higher quality foods. That way, there's a point to them.

-or-

Change the stats on the worthless food. If this game insists that all strength of avatar can ingest all foods, just make the stats equivalently blown out of proportion vs need as well.

amarious likes this.
  7. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Semi related - this thread just gave me an idea that might make people mad and cooks happy.. I saw someone talking in Universal earlier about not being concerned about dying ..

What if dying removed your food buffs and you had to eat more food .. and devs could change existing or add new foods that are better and more costly, to tweak the risk/rewards factor.

8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Compost isn't a bad idea. Could also make some kinda hobo stew out of 20 worthless foods or something.

amarious likes this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it used to. that was not popular. a lot of debate around it around R35. clearly it didn't last. they nerfed regen rates to make food more useful at the same time, and that stuck.

amarious, Anpu and Echondas like this.
  10. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I think the best approach would be to add a food "spoil" system. Like how alcohol has a fermentation time, food could have a shelf life.

This would pave the way for in game freezers or ice boxes to store carcasses, haunches, fish, etc in. And once you butcher it, the meat goes bad after X amount of days.

This would make merchants mark down food about to spoil to make end game food more accessible to new players, but also has to be eaten within a relatively short amount of time if marked down.

Food that spoils would then make a great compost buff like you are describing.

This would make it to where chefs are constantly keeping their vendors stocked with cheap food because, hey worst case scenario you sell the rotten compost to a farmer and still cover cost of goods while you have to be more strategic about crafting more expensive foods.

They could then expand upon the cooking skill tree with skills like

* Preservation Techniques (Requires Cooking lvl 20) - This skill will increase the shelf life of food you cook.

* Experimentation (Requires Cooking lvl 20) - Leveling up this skill will give crafted food a chance to grant and additional random bonus, but reduces the shelf life of food cooked

* Gourmet (Requires Preservation Techniques lvl 40 & Experimentation lvl 40) - This skill increases the base stat buffs of all food crafted and increases the length of food bonus durations for consumed food.

This would make all food relevant and in demand while creating a living and thriving economy for

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    amarious likes this.
  11. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

A guildmate and i have 7 Buff Food shops running all over the World since the early days. Mostly as a tradition and a service to the community because you can earn much more gold with many other activities. If a food spoil system would be implemented i would immediately shut down all of them.

We already (combined) need a couple hours each day to farm carcasses, go fishing, keep the vendors stocked and ccok the food (as much as possible in advance).

A food spoil system would multiply the time needed to organize our vendors to keep the food from going to waste. We would need to cook only in small batches, reduce the amount of food in our vendors and offer only the food with high demand.

As we don't have the time to live in the game, our part of the thriving economy would go poof!

edit: compost worthless food? i am all for it :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  12. Toular

Toular Avatar

Simple. Change food buffs to have multiple "slots". Each food item consumes a defined number of slots, with the number of slots being based on the "power" of that food item. "Junk" food (Short Breasd Loaf) would be 1 slot while something with a little more power (Bacon) would take 2 slots, wolf surprise perhaps 3 slots. The most powerful would take 5 or more slots.

Then if there are only 10 slots available, you could power up with Wyvern Haunch (or whatever) and maybe wolf surprise, then to top off your focus after a short battle have a couple of slots left over for a quick bite of that slim bread loaf you've been lugging around - without "overwriting" your Wyvern Haunch.

amarious likes this.
  13. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

I generally find when people's main argument is that they would rage quit, a poor one. Our guild has 8 vendors across Novia and the new world and growing and all of them carry an array of foods at the lowest prices across all merchants I have seen in the game and are getting restocked weekly - not because I or anyone else who uses our vendors claim to be doing anyone a "service" aside from serving the customers whose business we want, who pay for the goods we sell. So I would welcome you to shut down your shops so people who enjoy the cooking and merchant game-play can compete in the markets.

The devs just created two new skills around potions that are very similar to the Preservation and Gourmet skills I described above, I fail to see how driving up the value of food by adding in a scarcity element so vendors aren't bloated with stockpiles of useless food would in any way hurt cooking game play.

I would love to see more skills and depth added to cooking, and I have no problem with risk/reward mechanics. I think everyone here agrees that there should be a deeper relationship between cooking and farming - chickens that drop eggs and cows that yield milk come to mind as well in exchange for compost of rotten food which seems both would benefit group game-play for large scale operations or create more compelling game loops for solo farmer/fisher/merchants if there would be more sit and wait (like alcohol and growing crop) interactions with the foods like curing and then spoiling, as a natural effect of failed attempts and/or time.

A middle ground might be that food, instead of spoiling outright, might lose some effects down to a baseline over time, at which point it might be more beneficial to scrap it for compost or mark down the price. Composting then could be a skill under the cooking tree that could reduce the cool-down time it takes for (e.g. rotten food + tree bark) to turn into sacks of compost to sell or trade or reuse in farming.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  14. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Rather than composting / spoiling less useful food (which has had some GP and time invested in it), how about composting useless ingredients. In the form of the long-promised fertilizer for growing food.

One fish of any type, or one unit of meat of any type, when planted with a seed and water, increases yield 50% when harvested. Just needs one more recipe, no muss no fuss.

And if you believe the (perhaps apocryphal) stories about the Pilgrims, there's a RL precedent. Turn all the useless trout and pork meat into useable veggies and regs!

Sorgin Txakal likes this.
  15. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

A while ago a suggestion on one of the streams was to make feasts out of food items. At the time Chris didn't like the idea that smaller foods would replace the high level foods. They don't have to do that though, they could instead be combined with high level foods to make the feast so the buff isn't more powerful but lasts longer. Dragon Stew with corpion claw salad, pumpkin pie for dessert and maybe some beer or wine.

Chris also mentioned an idea where he'd use points with foods costing different amounts of points based on their buff strength so players could have up to 6 one point food buffs or 2 three point buffs or some other mix. I don't think this is a good solution as it adds to the UI lag issue. We don't need to display even more buffs on the interface.

16. sforbes95

sforbes95 Avatar

I think there should just be composting bins and recycling bins for items you no longer need and don't want to destroy. Other players could then grab your trash and possibly use it. Then after a set amount of time, it gets taken to the Kobold recycling plant or the gardens of local farmers, where players have a chance to buy cheaper food and other items that are made from the compost and recycled materials.

17. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

Not only players. All the beggars in the towns who get just 1 gold per day who could not afford anything with it except a glass of water, could walk to the place of the communal Food Charity place to have a meal each day...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.