Help getting back into game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HermitFromPluto, Jul 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

Don't forget Shroud collects about 7 dollars for every single set of property you want to move anywhere using the magic mover. Which is absolutely outrageous given the sad state of the game and player base

I wanted to move a property, basement and dungeon and it cost me ~ 21 dollars. Just nuts.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Time Lord likes this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It doesn't cost anything to move within the same town. It also doesn't cost anything to send everything to your bank and then redecorate at the new location.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

Thanks again for all the tips. Have played a fair bit and been reading the guides. Enjoying the peaceful feel of the game. A quick question on taxed lots. Once I claim a property do you pay every day? Or just the days I log in? i.e. if I don't log in for five days during the week, will I have to pay 5 x daily tax next time? Still a steep learning curve and a long way to go in understanding the game (never understood it fully before either).

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

you have to pay for every day whether you log in or not, but
    a: you can pay days in advance
    b: if you know you're not going to be in for a while you can put your house with all its deco in the property manager and unclaim the lot so you don't accrue taxes while you're gone.

Time Lord, Rentier and Net like this.
  5. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

Thanks. I don't think I will ever put down a taxed lot then. I'm quite busy in real life and the thought of having to grind 1,750 gold if I can't log in for a week is rather off putting. A bit hard to predict with my work unfortunately.

Edit. Had asked about Crowns, but found them in my rewards.

Here's another question. When I started playing again, I had a Founder's Vanduul Polearm equipped. I tried to repair with a blacksmithing kit, but it does not work. It says if I destroy it, I get a Eternal pattern or something like that. Can anyone explain this to me?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  6. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

Visiting the oracle every day covers your taxes, but ya requires you to log in every day. Some guild have inns with with plenty of rooms for players who want to just drop down a few chests and go off on their own for a while until they decide to settle down somewhere or just keep he room permanently and sell your deeds for gold as some do.

Time Lord, majoria70 and Anpu like this.
  7. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

Thanks. I hope it is no problem to post simple questions here. I am having an annoying problem. When I open my character box and hover the cursor over my equipment, the item description / stats comes up.
    When I first played this worked with the inventory too and I could compare what was in my inventory with what I am wearing.
    Now for some reason, it does not show stats / description when I hover over the item in my inventory. In fact, I can't figure out how to look at the item description for items in my inventory as there is no option to do that when I right click also.
    I searched the forums, but can't figure this very simple issue out. Thanks!

Time Lord likes this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

It must have gotten turned off in options. I'm not in game at the moment to see what it is called but there is an option to turn off those descriptions. So click on the gear upper right of your screen and check through to see if this happened which I suspect. Ask away any time any questions you have and welcome to the game.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Alley Oop

the default keybind for this is comma, which is easy to hit accidentally.

Sorgin Txakal and Time Lord like this.
  10. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

Thanks for the advice. I checked settings and indeed it is a comma for 'toggle inventory tooltips.' Just pressing comma toggles it on and off as you said!!!

Sorgin Txakal and Time Lord like this.
  11. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

A couple of questions today. So many years and still a noob, how do I repair my Founder's Vanduul Polearm?

Also, before I go to the bug forum, having a big issue actually. I have a powerful computer (runs ESO, warframe etc), game is crashing sometimes, but it freezes my whole computer. But this is the question - when it crashes it creates a second lan internet connection to my computer called 'unidentified network'. This allows access to internet for some things, but blocks my Steam connection. The only way to fix it is 1. disable the new connection. 2. Restart the computer with the lan cable out, and 3. then re-connect the lan cable. This happens with no other game or application and SOTA crashes while logged in through Steam are the trigger. Is this a known problem related to logging in through Steam? It's such a hassle, it is dissuading me from playing.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well you can't compare this game with any other. We have way more things loading and loading decisions with tons of player stuff being managed in loading than any other game I know of out there. So just Bug report your issue and check yourself for a virus. It sounds like a great opportunity. Also ask @Elgarion to check on this issue for you. Best of luck to you.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Time Lord likes this.
  13. Alley Oop

polearms are repaired with carpentry repair kits, which can be found on combat merchants, looted, or crafted.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Hmm, that is *really* odd behaviour - never seen or heard of that kind of thing happening in any game, never mind this one. So at a bit of a loss as to what to suggest over contact the devs and see what they suggest.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. HermitFromPluto

HermitFromPluto Avatar

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep working on it and report in the bug forum. I do really love the game - it has a unique feel and freedom like no other - and I just love the world setting and lore.

And thanks for the advice on the polearm. I kept using the blacksmithing kit, not the carpentry kit :confused::D

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Sorgin Txakal

Sorgin Txakal Avatar

A
    Ark is the only other game I have ever played that is as demanding on a gpu in some areas. So many decorations, some with moving parts, makes some cities a real chore to navigate through unless you are sporting a 2070+

For this reason some people avoid the major player hub cities (Britt Mart,Crafter's Town, etc.) and set up camp in player owned cities that are either regulated for deco or more sparcely populated.

Your issue doesn't sound gpu related though, I might try updating all drivers and then verifying game files in Steam after a restart. Always a good first troubleshooting step.

17. Tychicus

Tychicus Avatar

I have 3 Tax Free lots in the game and I was thinking about buying a Town Lot (Taxable) one. I was wondering if there was a Tax chart or something to tell me how much I would have to pay in Taxes for the Lot. Or if anybody knows the tax amount I would have to pay please let me know. Thx

18. Nick

Nick Avatar

Row: 250 gold per day
    Village: 500 gold per day
    Town: 1000 gold per day
    City: 2000 gold per day
    Keep: 3000 gold per day
    Castle: 4000 gold per day

Source:
    https://sotawiki.net/sota/Property_Deed

Tychicus, Anpu and majoria70 like this.
  19. FarmerJack

FarmerJack Avatar

Welcome back - so much has changed.........
    Use this forum for good answers as well as the Discord channels. (short term link) https://discord.gg/qkRwGE

20. FarmerJack

FarmerJack Avatar

Lots have to be in inventory for "upgrades".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.