Collect Book from Merriweather,no responce from NPC

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Sir Gally, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

I can not for the life of me to get Merriweather to respond to my next step in this quest. I tried to say everything related to the book. What am I doing wrong? My journal says to vist her and collect the book but she does nothing at all. I even went down to the Solania Catacombs to get into the great hall where the elves reputedly keep their stolen goods but the Venerable Elf, Veteru that has the key will not let me have it to enter the gate to the north. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What does the journal say to do for your current step? Speak to Merriweather?

FrostII likes this.
  3. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

Yes. That is where Im stuck, Collect Book from Merriweather

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Speak to them. They should give you the next step. You might have to do that several times.

Can I assume when you speak to them, a window is coming up, asking for an item? If so, close that and say goodbye. Speak to them again....

FrostII likes this.
  5. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

I recieved the quest from Simone von Eglinger titled, "Collect Book from Merriweather". My journal was updated now to, "Simone von Eglinger accidentally shipped her daughter's favorite book to the Solania Merchantile. She wants me to explain the mistake to Merriweather, the woman who runs the shop, and ask for Scarlett's book to be returned."
    I made my way to Merriweather in Solania. I spoke with her many many times to get her to update my jounal for the next step in the quest," Search Catacombs for Great Hall".
    "I spoke to Merriweather in the Solania Merchantile about Scarlett's book, adn she doesn't have it. It was in a shipment that was stolen by elf bandits who live inside the Solania Catacombs. Merriweather said I'll need to go deep into the catacombs and look for some place called the Grand Hall, which is where the elves reputedly keep their stolen goods."
    I can not write anything to Merriweather to initiate it. Is there a word or sentence I am missing to intiate her or is this a bug in the quest?

FrostII likes this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I think this one quest might be bugged. @Sannio can you maybe help?

FrostII likes this.
  7. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

Matter of fact, on my local map Merriweather is spotted blue to indicate I must visit her. Also, when I enter her shop she is behind the counter waiving her sparkling blue arm to talk with her for the quest.

8. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

When you say "book" to Merriweather, what is her response? She has slightly different responses depending on where you are in your quest progress.

Also, when you say "hello" to her, what does she say? If you say "hello" 4 or 5 times, does she always say the same thing?

Anpu likes this.
  9. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

Yes, whatever I say she responds with the same sentence. I used every word in her dialogue box, “hello”, “help”, “job”, and she repeats the same thing over and over again. I’ve tried words like, “Scarletts book”, “Stolen book”, etc. and it’s always the same response from her.

10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Can you copy and paste the response she says to you?

11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

If you have the quest search the catacombs you are already on the next step. Now you need to go into the catacombs and talk to that one elf by the looked door and say key, then something about taking care of his master or something like that, then the will give you he key.

FrostII and Elrond like this.
  12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I have no doubt that Mac2 is correct, but if so then there is a glaring omission from the quest log - IE from what Sir Gally quoted that has been said, no where does it tell him to search for an elf and say some special word/words.

13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

It says to search the catacombs for the great hall.

14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yea, Mac - but it doesn't say anything about looking for an elf there or that he should say "key" or something.... right?

15. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Many quests dont tell you exactly what you need to do, they just say search x area. Just look at the shroud quest, they say to search ruins, not vaults. Not that I would be against being very detailed, we would have a lot less threads like this one if it was very detailed.

16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Agree completely.

17. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

Yes, I had done that numerous times to the point I know the Solania Catacombs by heart now with no map needed. I tried every word that I can think of. Veteru even starts to insult me for babblingo_OHe refuses to give up the key to the north gate in fear of being tortured by his master. I read something that you have the option in his text field box to “lie” to him in order to receive it from him.

18. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

Actually, the next second step in the quest I believe is," Search Catacombs for Great Hall". I’m still on the first step, “Collect Book from Merriweather".

Anpu likes this.
  19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I had this exact same thing happen to me as well. But it finally worked when I ended up speaking to Merriweather several times. I believe I had to leave the city and then enter it again. And again tried speaking to her a few more times, then finally the next step Search Catacombs for Great Hall finally was given to me.

I tried replicating this on a different character but could not. It progressed just fine.... :/

20. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

I’ve been to her a couple times. I will try to keep logging in and out of the game too, maybe that will reset the quest like it did for you. One thing is definite, Merriweather keeps waving her blue sparkling arm at me to talk to her. This has to be the fix. I’ll try in the morning, cross my fingers!

Anpu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.