Maps

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Loaffer, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loaffer

Loaffer Avatar

So are maps ever coming back or is that a dead thing also that will never be fixed.

2. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

There was hope for maps once before they laid off twitch/kigustarfish

3. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Take the good old pen and a sheet ... and enjoy to be ... back to the future (80s) ;)

4. oplek

oplek Avatar

They're a small team, which is why they don't keep adding more things to develop, debug and maintain, like bards, PVP queues, treasure maps, and new continents, among a year-list of additional tasks. That'd be too much. That way, they can get around to finishing what they already have.

5. Katu

Katu Avatar

I think they mentioned that they have created new tech, that helps to generate maps? In latest stream I think.
    soon(tm)

6. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Too bad we already had a full working map system that was player made (1 guy) and full of bells & whistles before we had a small team decide to remake them and only place the top 50 back in..

7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I was about to go off half-cocked on this, then I found (I think) the hidden /s

8. oplek

oplek Avatar

The first rule of sarcasm is you don't talk about sarcasm.

Astirian, FrostII and Lazarus Long like this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The only information about the update of the map system on the forum, is from this post from a while ago:

FrostII likes this.
  10. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Vas Corp Por mentioned during the Friday stream chat, that the old map system took ~ 20 hours per map and they are close to implementing a new system that will let them do maps much faster... so, stay tuned.

FrostII, Cora Cuz'avich and Katu like this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I wish they would give us status reports on things like this. I can happily (cheerfully, even!) wait for an incoming map (or any kind of) system if I am aware it's being worked on.

Astirian and FrostII like this.
  12. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

??? This was discussed last fall, and the result was a few maps with the new system and missing maps everywhere else. I suppose it might have been discussed again yesterday while I wandered off to refill my drink or what not; if so, I'd love to have the timestamp so I can go back and listen to that part. Or read rather, since he was only in the chat and not actually on the stream yesterday.

Chris has said more than once recently that they're still planning to get maps in for Episode 2 scenes. However, every time I've listened (which is every stream), he's avoided saying anything about Episode 1 scenes, even when my question was specific to Episode 1 scenes. Draw your own conclusions.

13. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

why is it even an issue? why wasn't the process automated from the beginning?

14. Gyzarus

Gyzarus Avatar

Questions: why is the in-game item maps that can be bought from book seller NPC and random dropped map used for? I believe it is supposed to function like if you have the map in the inventory bag, you can view the map. Originally the game was designed without map UI, only it is added later on because of quality of life issue so on. Not complaining not siding either side, just additional Information

Astirian likes this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

"Immersion." See also: British, Lord

Loaffer likes this.
  16. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

I happen to like immersion. I just think something like this should be automated :/

Cora Cuz'avich likes this.
  17. Loaffer

Loaffer Avatar

Wow never knew it would take that long, But they had maps in for example i forget the name but the one to get the adventurer level blessing. They had that in. I wonder if they had to take it out for this new system. I hope

18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I like immersion too. But I don't like "immersion."

19. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

The original design of the game intentionally excluded a mini-map system for the sake of exploration and immersion. The maps you can find as loot in the game were the immersive map system and the limit of the detail the developers wanted to provide. While they are a stylized map image of the scene, they provide just enough detail to allow for rudimentary navigation; however, some maps for more dangerous zones were intentionally only partially complete.

Wanting more, a player took it upon himself to build the SotAMap.com system and website. Portalarium eventually purchased the system from the player and integrated it into the game. The next phase of the project consisted of backend technology improvements that I don't dare try to explain and then begin repopulating the system with new maps.

This is where we find ourselves now and with the smaller team size, it takes longer for updates to be rolled out. Hopefully, the enhancements they've made to the technology will allow them to add maps more easily.

Anpu and FrostII like this.
  20. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    Yes originally the only maps were the Mini-Maps of the Novia Atlas Map that was included as a Navigator Pledge Reward. They could also be acquired from drops or from certain merchants that sold Guides. They were static and would only show your position. The net set of maps was a system created by a user that would show some detail of a scene and as you explored it would add markers (POI) that you would be able to go back to. I really like this system because you could edit maps for the POTs you owned and place icons for different building styles, transports, Text, and other stuff. When Port purchased it they added to ability to automatically show lot placement and ownership. This was great for Governors to show their towns layout and residents, designate areas using text markers, and point out other Points of Interest like the Gust Ball field. The problems that were map public were the DLLs that were used in the maps and also sometimes the map and its orientation were not the same. Hopefully the next mapping system will be automated and editable as well. Here is an early map of my town showing all the lots, the ones that were claimed, position of vendors and boats and crafting stations. It was not perfect but it was OK overall.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.