Clarification on the talk of devoicing from the livestream

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    There is so many issues with this post. It is supposed to be about silencing talk but there is first amendment rights, favoritism bias, politics, etc. If we were to just keep it about "devoicing" or trying to maintain civility @Chris has already said he is using the logs as a guide. I did not hear that comments from 10 people would be an automatic ban, just a place to start. Also why would people be complaining? i can see the chat filter the obvious words but how many ways can it spelled and still understand it? It is more a matter of respect IMO. When you loose respect for someone you are likely to say many things that aren't necessary out of frustration or anger.

I also agree with Grumpy Krabnevir. Trash talking is part of any competition so why not ave a PVP channel? It could have a disclaimer on it about language and content and you would only get it if you are flagged PVP or opt in to it. This would not solve the frustration of the way the game is perceived but people having a better understanding of the niche this game is in would help a lot. How many people play WOW, New Worlds, GwII, or others and then come to SotA and complain because it is not the same? I think Chris gets side tracked a lot and things seem to happen randomly or half way but isn't part of playing a game the effort to figure how to play? It is all in the way you look at it. I know I am an Idealist but I expect the game to change frequently and although the bug and unfinished content frustrates me I always consider it a challenge to figure a way around it, or do something else until it is fixed.

The goal is for SotA to make it to EP5 and beyond and have fun playing. We are here because we originally wanted to be. If that have changed then please re-think why you are still here. By all means keep the ideas and constructive criticism coming, the DEVs and Chris do listen but realize that we are here because we bought, or free played, our way into it but we do not own it and your voice is just one of all the supporters/players in this world that they listen to day in and day out.

PS fewer post/people would get "devoiced" if the tone was more about constructive criticism. "I think Chris gets side tracked a lot and things seem to happen randomly or half way but...." instead of "THIS IS FACISM!"

Ragnarr Lodbrok and Tirrag like this.
  2. Net

Net Avatar

I hardly use global chat anyway, I salute everyone who listens to it and helps people. People who abuse it should be devoiced, at least temporarily, while I welcome free speech, I do not think it means you can spam everyone with whatever you want.

As for the PvP and trashtalking, I think it is only part of the PvP, the kind that discourages others from PvP, some may enjoy it, some may ignore it, others do not like it. And I think it is big difference if you bicker in private messages or local chat and quite another if you involve everyone on the server. You can trashtalk without PvPing and you can PvP without trashtalking, even if there is overlap the two do not go hand in hand. I will leave at that, because otherwise it would be too long rant, but there are many PvPers who can kill others (and be killed) without having the need to comment on it. And of course there are various levels of trash talk, it can be quite fun and witty retort, it can be just rude insult.

Alley Oop likes this.
  3. oplek

oplek Avatar

Given how they yoinked the entire previous thread on this, they've already shown how unnecessarily heavy-handed they can be. Their right... but when it comes to the reputation of squashing negative comments, that ship sailed long ago, so assurances that won't be the case now, don't carry a lot of weight. Or they can just silence critics... again, completely their right.

4. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

That's right. Lets call it another nail to their coffin.

Hornpipe likes this.
  5. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

I personally have only used universal chat once to get help and it was extremely useful, otherwise I don't even have it on. @Chris the PVP chat on universal is a bi-product of not having their own channel and this should be made as soon as it can. Give their voice a home.

This is a game yes, but we are a community spanning vast age ranges and backgrounds. The PVP folks and the non-PVP folks need to keep that in mind when using a universal chat and find a common ground in a chat channel meant for all.

ShurTugal likes this.
  6. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Me to. There is a "mute" option for a reason. If someone doesn't like what someone else is saying, they have a choice to mute that person and never see a post from that person again. What, is this not good enough???? It should be. Your absolutely right Ragnarr, These devs have far bigger problems to worry about like actually finishing many unfinished systems which drive people from the game cause why would anyone want to play a game where the devs don't care enough to actually finish things? What I see happening here is people getting frustrated with them not listening to us on what we actually want, and leaving many systems unfinished (i've been holding off redoing all my youtube quest videos until they actually updated the quest system like they said they would. I have my doubts now if they will actually update it which means those videos won't get redone} and the more frustrated we get, the louder we get and now they are wanting to silence us?? They will drive us away and if they say "good riddance" than I say "good riddance" as well. Been playing this 3 day test of new world and on august 25 I plan to play and stream the beta of new world. There is so much in new world that we have been asking for in shroud that just has not happened so who knows, maybe new world will become my new things.... That's disheartening to me cause I have been a supporter of this game for so long and have quite literally financially supported them far far far more than I ever did on any other game I played and have even spent money as recently as less than a week ago on their store.... Guess I am not a whale so I don't matter....... whether that's realistic, I don't know but its how I am feeling......

7. renos

renos Avatar

Theres a difference between negative criticism and constructive criticism

''Constructive criticism is focused on taking what was proposed and making it better. It often includes suggestions for improvement and creates a spirit of cooperation. On the other hand, negative criticism doesn't aim to improve things. Its only goal is to tear things down or show them as invalid.''

or if you prefer this one

''Negative criticism means voicing an objection to something, only with the purpose of showing that it is wrong, false, mistaken, nonsensical, objectionable, or disreputable. ''

So far the only people i see complaining about something that has been ingame already for months, are the ones who think negative criticism helps the game...IT DOESNT .

This thread has too much ''sweat'' over nothing . Be constructive, be helpful and none will bother you.

FrostII, Ancev and Net like this.
  8. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

Considering that the prior thread devolved into Nazi Symbolism and other racist imagery? Nothing heavy handed about that and it's gone with good reason for clear violations of the ROC/TOS.

9. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

In a free speech world, it was heavy handed. It did NOT "devolved into Nazi Symbolism and other racist imagery" but lets say it had, Even then you would not want to censor that because you WANT to know who those people are. If you censor them, they won't change their view and they can still spread that crap to to others but now, they will keep it to themselves cause they know what you will do and won't speek out and now you will never know who they are until its to late. This is a bigger example than what actually happened in that, since deleted thread, but the point is valid and you went there first. :)

10. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I disagree. Some times when you don't like something, you may have a solution and of course present that solution with your criticism. Many times, and I have experienced this, you don't like something but since your not versed in the field, you can't really think of a solution at the moment. You would have them NEVER speek since they don't have a solution. I would say, speek, tell us what you don't like, you don't have to have a solution but if we know what you don't like, we know where to focus our attention and see if we can find a solution. I am of course ALWAYS opposed to ANY censor but I am open to understanding it (while not agreeing with it) if the negatism is laden with racist, diragatory, type things. I still will always fall on the side of never censor, have the conversation and use your words to win over those types of people and of course we have the mute option for those among us that just don't want to hear those people....

Hornpipe likes this.
  11. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

You obviously didn't see it right before posts were removed and the thread was locked. It most certainly did devolve into Nazi Symbolism and other racist imagery. It's gone with good reason and does not need to be a part of this community. You can go on about free speech all you want, but this is not a protected area (Read your amendments - it's only protection from government action) and this is a private forum with it's own rules which members agreed to abide by. I am VERY glad it is gone.

FrostII, Neonis, Margaritte and 2 others like this.
  12. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Alrighty folks.

Players can report players for many reasons, and we have in-game tools for that, and players send in reports via email and forum conversations as well. Those are indicators, nothing more. Things we consider investigating, then investigate if it seems warranted. We also have a tool to detect mass blockings of players as an ADDITIONAL indicator to investigate an issue. Game chat, forums etc. have moderators. We have moderators on many of our venues. This is not new info. Since the early days of SOTA, we've had moderators to assist us within our venues, and this will not be changing.

If you feel you've been flagged inappropriately and subsequently banned? Send an email to support@portalarium.com. and we'll consider the item for investigation just like any other player report. Arguing about the potential to be banned when literally nothing has changed with our policies for banning is pointless. We just simply have another tool to help us spot items to consider for moderation. And yes, moderators exist. Always have. Always will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.