Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Restless

Restless Avatar

@Chris is this some kind of joke? You buffed bard by allowing everyone to use it with 2 sec cast time even on 5 stacks. Bard really needs a requirement for 2 handed instruments (no weap or shield allowed), old cast times of 10 sec and reduced effectiveness 75% NOT a cast time reduction buff and calling it a nerf.

2. Crowquills

Crowquills Avatar

This isnt about exp. You clearly just dont get it. Play the game more and you will figure it out.

3. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

It takes 23 seconds now to 6 stack SS and cast it for the same effect as before. Big nerf but manageable. Spec doesn't seem to have any effect though or maybe there is a top ceiling.

4. Restless

Restless Avatar

@Chris

5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Restless, I expect you're referring to Bards that use dynamic decks for stacking? I just verified it is taking longer than that for normal casting.

6. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

The examples seem like asking for a nerf on taming instead of bard

Net likes this.
  7. Restless

Restless Avatar

@Chris I am talking how quickly bard can be cast without any negatives or requiring a 2 hand instrument. If you look at berserk stance, which is effectively the same cast time as savage sonata, it comes with huge negatives. Bard does not. I’d like to see the same negatives equally scaling on the casting bard or maybe harsher for bard since their songs affect up to 12 people. This is essential for balance. Stacking so many crit modifiers instantly without negatives is crazy.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The execution time of Berserker's Stance is almost instant while Savage Sonata is 15 seconds. Berserker's Stance also provides a lot more benefit but doesn't provide any critical damage bonus unless you have tactics specialization.

9. Restless

Restless Avatar

This is absolutely incorrect on all accounts.

Bersker's Stance at only level 100
    40 str
    35% attack speed
    2.1 move speed
    +25% crit dmg
    ---negatives---
    -50 damage resist
    -3 combat health per second
    -1 combat focus per second

Savage Sonata at level 138
    2 second cast time
    17.6 str
    17.6 dex
    53% crit dmg
    ---negatives---
    none

Compare those two and maybe you'll see that with 53% crit dmg, damage resist should at least be -100 with -6 health and -2 focus. The only effective negative to Savage Sonata is a 2 second cast time while providing such a buff for up to 12 people.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I've not messed with Bard skills before- just to clarify, they're pretty much useless for solo players, right? Except for using them on pets? I've had people tell me before "y u still using [skill]? YouY u no Bard instead? ur noob" but I'd always assumed they didn't do anything solo.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The equivalent of using Strength of Earth, Flurry and Sprint.
    You do not get this unless you have specialization. It's mistakenly listed in the skill tooltip. Use Berserker's Stance and then look at the buff tooltip; those are the actual effects.
    It's 2 seconds to get the effects but then you can't use any other skill until the global cooldown expires (15 second execution time).

[edit] Chris may have shortened the execution time. I don't know, I don't use bard skills.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  12. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Mending is situationally useful solo for just about anyone I think. It's big and super accessible, and at the very least you can use it just before a big fight to lessen your chances of dying before things are under control.

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

How exactly do they work? I figured maybe they only affected others and not you, or didn't work in combat mode or something. I know from ERG groups they apply in short bursts, I assumed that was to keep you near the bard.

14. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

They don't all work the same way. Some of the bard buffs are centered around where the caster is standing when they cast. Others move around with the caster. Mending has always been centered on the caster, so if solo, it's basically a big reagent free, fizzle free HoT that doesn't require any attunement or intelligence, but does get +healing% bonuses.

At least that's the way it worked the last time I used it. I haven't been on a lot recently and I know there have been a lot of bard changes, but I'm pretty sure that's still right.

edit: savage is the only one that doesn't affect the caster, btw.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    Cora Cuz'avich and FrostII like this.
  15. Abstrax Phoenix

Abstrax Phoenix Avatar

Incorrect, savage effects the caster. its stays in 1 place though.

Lazlo likes this.
  16. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

As a mostly solo tamer who originally liked the quicker cast times I've slowly moved bard skills out of my deck and invested the spec XP elsewhere. It's a more fun tree to use, even as a solo player, with the changes to sing times but you need to stack the skills now to get noticeable effects. I'll throw on the heal and power regen unstacked now when needed but that's it.

Unfortunately it seems to be something else that was balanced around a few players with billions of XP that Savage tipped over the edge into craziness (in PvP anyway). I notice many of the other skills you need to use in conjunction with Savage to get the craziness are not called into question though. As an average player Savage didn't have the same effect on me and my pet that was suggested no matter how much testing I did and now I don't bother. It's not worth the XP investment.

FrostII likes this.
  17. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

My bad. You used to not even be able to cast it without a valid target, so if you were solo, it was unusable without a tamed pet. The way it works now is a lot better, even if it is stationary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.