From Twitter: "...the next big item to be turned on will be the scaling damage resistance."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cora Cuz'avich, Aug 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

2. oplek

oplek Avatar

Something something related to the new scaling zones that they've decided to confusingly release piece by piece over the course of half a year in the most anti-hype way possible.

3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

The " under construction" comment made me laugh. Every time I enter Mud to service my vendor, that message tells me my town is still unfinished. If this keeps up, we can look forward to year 2030, unless Episode 3 comes along and Episode 2, along with Episode 1 will be left hanging because Episode 4 is rolling out. This is worse than the bullet train project in California. It is a race to see if Mud or the train will be first across the finish line.

4. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

Scaling damage resistance is the final piece promised for heavy spec tankers. First was the aggro changes with the new Shout skill that allowed us to generate more aggro. Then came the new durability multiplier on armor which allowed our armor to survive longer while taking a pounding. Last is the damage resist scaling. Currently damage resist has a max upper limit of how much damage it can absorb from a single hit. For small to medium enemies it works pretty well but for the big bosses and their massive hits and crits not so much. The scaling will allow damage resist to scale up for larger hits giving a tank the ability to actually be a tank with the big bosses.

At least, that is how I understand it :) Definitely something that is not exciting for everyone, but as one of the key aspects of the game the way I love to play it, this will be amazing (I hope).

Aldo, Xee and Alley Oop like this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ah, interesting. Yeah, I switched to a dodge build, because DR is so low on light armor it's pointless against strong enemies.

6. Loaffer

Loaffer Avatar

Cool So by this i can say Epic rings will be fixed in 2021, and maps later that year..

Feeyo likes this.
  7. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

@Cora Cuz'avich It will be interesting to know how DR scaling affects even at the light armor level. I have also played with what I call "light" tanking using leather armor instead. I can, with good use of shield, light armor, and defensive tactics skills be successful in toe-to-toe soloing the pit, red, black, and yellow dragons with polearms or blades. Didn't get very far with the ancient or aether. I have been interested in experiencing how light spec affects dodge/evasion skills but just haven't been willing to switch my second spec yet. Would be interesting to see some solid numbers for comparison to check how dodge actually increases with spec. Not sure if anyone has done that type of analysis.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    FrostII likes this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Working on the changes to Damage Resistance so it scales for large hits and Heavy Armor Spec improves how much it scales. The current thing making it take longer is I discovered DR currently gets applied wrong making it less useful on critical hits! Fixing and fixing!

https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1291759637155450882

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Wait, so after the last DR "fix" that killed us (and made Ghosts the worst damn mob in the game) it's now getting another "fix?" I mean, It sounds like this one will be an improvement instead of a nerf, but still...

[​IMG]

10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I have no issues with ghosts?

11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Though it won't help me much, since a Dodge build pretty much means running around with 0 DA/DR anyway.

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Not an archer, then. A good crit might get me 30 damage on one. I can kill 10k dragons faster than I can kill a 2k ghost. I don't even bother with the 6k ones in Spindelskog, I just run away from them.

GMDavros likes this.
  13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yes, I’m melee. Just with regular ghosts (or a group of them) I don’t have any problems with them (I need to pay attention to what I am doing though).

The higher level ones, like the one for the 3 day blessing in Elysium Mines just takes me a while to kill (depending on my gear).

No idea how ghosts work with archery though....

The creatures in Spinlewhatevr just murder me so I can only run around there as a ghost.... :D

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I believe they always had a high DR, to reflect not being physical creatures. But it wasn't much of a problem, because apparently DR wasn't working correctly. Then it got fixed, and suddenly I average about 8-15 points per hit. Maybe 25ish on a crit. (I can crit shadow mobs for 500-600.) The only thing I have that really does anything is Piercing Shot, because it ignores armor. Which is fine against 500 HP ghosts, but when you start getting into the 2k and up (and especially when they show up in groups) it just takes forever, and I can only spam the same glyph so many times. Since they all drop the same garbage 25ish gold and 3ish corpse wax, it's just not worth the time.

Widsith [MGT] and Anpu like this.
  15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Aldo and Tirrag like this.
  16. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i am so excited about this change. im going to tank up, buff up, sloth myself right over to an aether dragon and solo the beautiful beast :)

...at least, that is how i feel. we will see how it goes :D

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Gee, I can't wait for that to go in so that I'm even less effective.

18. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

I'll take a buff any day of the week :D

Anpu and Tirrag like this.
  19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Actually, unless I'm super wrong, I think this will be (might be) a good thing. Not as much for light armor, but I think the idea is that our DR will scale up better against harder hitting enemies. Though, I worry his line about crits will go both ways, making mobs crit for less, but us crit for less too.

Anpu and Tirrag like this.
  20. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Were these new changes added to the current QA build?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.