Release 80-Build Number 1261 Not Updating/Downloading

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Sir Gally, Aug 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

I uninstalled and reinstalled. I disabled fire wall and anti virus. The patch update tool is reading, Downloading patch 0 -> 12610:% Download: 0 KB/s Upload: 0 KB/s. The patch tool has been stuck like this for hours now because I don't know what else to do. It was working fine the day before the Release 80. Is there a a way to download the patch and install it manually? Thank you in advance

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Are you using the SotA client or are you using Steam to start the game?

4. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

Anpu likes this.
  5. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

I’m using the SotA client

6. Fetid SirDidy

Fetid SirDidy Avatar

Every so often I have to use a vpn to install a patch. You may want to try if you got one.

7. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

Well, that didn't work at all. Seems that the patch server URL is being blocked and even my web browser is blocked. I don't know what is blocking my computer to SotA server. It was working perfectly fine with the last patch. I have Comcast/Milton,Ma and had no issues with them blocking any url's but now of of the sudden my ISP has a issue with the SotA Patch server. Frustrating. I do have it working on Steam. Seems Steam downloads the patch in a different way vs URL. The 1.2 Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan with Comcast keeps crossing my mind. I might have reached it for this month.

8. Alley Oop

that's a torrent link.

9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I used to have problems when I used the SotA client (especially when patching) and switched to using Steam.
    It always works, loads patches as they come (even when not in game), and never has given me a moment of trouble.
    If you aren't having problems running the game thru Steam, then that's your ticket...

Sir Gally likes this.
  10. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Any recent anti-virus/anti-malware updates?

Some of them tend to be a little heavy-handed and block all "torrents".

Sir Gally likes this.
  11. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

absolutely, FrostII. I have complete access through Steam. It's really bothering me why I can't download this torrent at all. With all the technology we have now it's just crazy I can't pin point exactly why this is happening. At least I can play via Steam, but it would be nice to have it run through SotA instead of a third party. I wonder if I hit The 1.2 Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan with Comcast;)

12. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

and that is the problem, I can't connect to the patch server or the torrent link through my web browser, too. BitTorrent is blocked as well. My computer is well up to date. I'm not the only one that is having issues with Comcast. Something sneaky is going on with them. Ill find out when I log onto the SotA Client with a different computer at a different physical address connected ISP, Verizon.:cool:

13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I suspect your security product is blocking either one or more ports or the client itself.
    Investigate........

Sir Gally likes this.
  14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Doesn't explain why it worked fine for last release and suddenly doesn't, though - if you can't identify anything that's changed on your end, I mean.
    One thing I've learned with Sota - when something doesn't work, do not start fiddling with drivers or hardware or configuration of things, (I've learned my lesson!) 99.9% of the time, its Sota.
    If you suspect something may be going on with your ISP, that's a different matter. I'm with FrostII, I just use the steam client which seems to be a lot more reliable, and if in the event it doesn't/wont/can't patch, I'm already in my steam library in close proximity to lots of other things to play until it is sorted out lol.

FrostII and Sir Gally like this.
  15. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Several ISPs and often private networks block or throttle Bittorrent traffic - that is likely your issue. They're probably using a Packetshaper or similar, such as a Packeteer or Exinda.

I kinda wish the SOTA patch client had an option to update without using torrents for this reason but for now, the only solution is to get a different ISP, use a different network, use Steam, or try and hide your torrent traffic using a VPN or other methods.

16. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

That is exactly what I'm doing. I've been on Steam now while waiting to log in on a different computer/ISP. I will update and throw it on a thumb drive and patch my computer. I havnt changed anything either then reinstall the game. Comcast is the villain I believe.

FrostII and Echondas like this.
  17. Sir Gally

Sir Gally Avatar

UPDATE FIX: I set my modem to factory condition. I have the Comcast XB3 Modem. In back of modem is reset hole, place paper clip end or anything small enough in hole and press and hold for 15 seconds. reboot and reset password. Most modems have a reset hole. Once it was up and running and repopulated, I launched SotA Client and download began like nothing ever happened. I hope this helps anyone else with this problem. Seems so easy now. Glad I didn't do what kaeshiva did...:p

FrostII, Sean Silverfoot and Anpu like this.
  18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

But you can "opt out" of using torrents in the UI... right ?

19. Alley Oop

no. you can opt out of seeding them, but you have to be able to receive them to run the launcher.

FrostII and Echondas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.